Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Is Lima safe for a solo female traveler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2024, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Wyndham Diamond

I am eyeing an upcoming itinerary which will give me 16 hour layover in Lima (~7:30am arrival, midnight departure). I plan to leave the airport, get a hotel in Miraflores (hoping to get early check-in), and explore Miraflores area on foot. I love Peruvian cuisine and I plan on trying out different restaurants and bars. I will probably take a nap before leaving for the airport.

I am a petite woman who speaks little Spanish and do not look like a local. I have done something similar in Bogota seven years ago and it went well. I plan to use Uber to and from the airport.

Is this advisable? P2 is a little concerned, but I think I will be fine.
Old Feb 20, 2024, 12:03 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Can't believe its been 7+ years since I was there, but Miraflores is one of the better (best?) neighborhoods in Lima, and generally reviewed as safe by many travel websites. I am not female but also not physically imposing and easily identified as not a local, and did wander around for several evenings exploring the scene between daytime tours. Sounds like you know generally how to be safe in unfamiliar places - at least you are asking, right? And it sounds like you are confident and therefore probably project an image of confidence and not being a soft/easy target (as opposed to someone who looks disoriented, unsure, inebriated, etc.). I don't believe there is anything that directly indicates you should not wander around and enjoy that part of the city. Of course, YMMV and it is possible you might unfortunately be the one that proves the exception. I say do it!

But surely there are folks here with much deeper knowledge and more recent experience there who will weigh in as well...
Old Feb 22, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA
Absolutely safe, as safe as any metropolitan area in the world, with the standard warnings about pickpockets and trying to be a target. Miraflores, especially the corridor along Larco Blvd from LarcoMar to Parque Kennedy is bustling day and night and full of tourists, and police. The same for the malecon along the coastline.

It's well covered on google streetview, look around before you go.
TravellingChris and happychic like this.
Old Apr 14, 2024, 8:12 am

Programs: Travel Agent for Four Seasons Preferred program, Marriott Stars, Hyatt Prive, Rosewood Elite
Originally Posted by happychic
I am eyeing an upcoming itinerary which will give me 16 hour layover in Lima (~7:30am arrival, midnight departure). I plan to leave the airport, get a hotel in Miraflores (hoping to get early check-in), and explore Miraflores area on foot. I love Peruvian cuisine and I plan on trying out different restaurants and bars. I will probably take a nap before leaving for the airport.

I am a petite woman who speaks little Spanish and do not look like a local. I have done something similar in Bogota seven years ago and it went well. I plan to use Uber to and from the airport.

Is this advisable? P2 is a little concerned, but I think I will be fine.
It's safe... but keep jewelry, expensive watches, and other high-value items discreet to avoid attracting unwanted attention. Using electronics like smartphones or cameras openly can also make you a target for theft (the same as in other south american cities).
happychic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.