Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Current test and quarantine requirements

Old Apr 3, 21, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PR Premier Elite

So I am traveling from the US to Lima in a couple of weeks and I am trying to figure out all the requirements. It seems I need a negative antigen test and QR code and such to board in the US. No issues with any of that part. But looking at the arrival side of things...... it seems that to avoid the 14 day quarantine, I just need ANOTHER negative antigen test after arrival???? However since I will arrive at 12:20 AM it seems there are no testing options readily available at that hour. To the best that I can determine it looks like I would be allowed to list my hotel as my "quarantine location" and freely travel directly to that hotel, and presumably freely travel directly to a testing location in the city the next day where if I got a negative antigen test I am free to pursue my vacation. That's my own interpretation of kinda how it looks to me, but I have not yet find a current, first hand account of what exactly really goes down when you step off a plane at LIM airport at 12:20AM in April 2021. Does anyone have recent experience or know more specifically how it all really goes down when you arrive?
Old Apr 4, 21, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
So I am traveling from the US to Lima in a couple of weeks and I am trying to figure out all the requirements. It seems I need a negative antigen test and QR code and such to board in the US. No issues with any of that part. But looking at the arrival side of things...... it seems that to avoid the 14 day quarantine, I just need ANOTHER negative antigen test after arrival???? However since I will arrive at 12:20 AM it seems there are no testing options readily available at that hour. To the best that I can determine it looks like I would be allowed to list my hotel as my "quarantine location" and freely travel directly to that hotel, and presumably freely travel directly to a testing location in the city the next day where if I got a negative antigen test I am free to pursue my vacation. That's my own interpretation of kinda how it looks to me, but I have not yet find a current, first hand account of what exactly really goes down when you step off a plane at LIM airport at 12:20AM in April 2021. Does anyone have recent experience or know more specifically how it all really goes down when you arrive?
I'm in a similar situation, going in mid-late May and arriving at 11pm. I thought that I read something about testing at the airport but that seems impractical. I'm hoping that they adjust this for fully vaccinated travelers by the time that I go. Hoping that someone else will chime in.
Jessica Ashurst likes this.
Old Apr 5, 21, 11:28 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles
It is correct that testing isn't available at the airport at midnight (it's 5am-5pm)...
I have a friend who arrived yesterday with her family and she mentioned that they had indeed to declare their information (phone, address) and that they agree that they are subject to the 14 day quarantine unless they take the test (PCR or antigen) again and have negative results. She said they didn't mention any restrictions regarding if they could just go to the lab today...
Personally I would arrange for the test to be done at the hotel, some of the labs have the service : Synlab mentions to call to arrange https://www.synlab.pe/panel/prueba-de-antigeno/ but this one "Aptus" https://teleticket.com.pe/aptus can be scheduled online I think...

Last edited by andreadbc; Apr 5, 21 at 11:54 am
Old Apr 5, 21, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by andreadbc View Post
It is correct that testing isn't available at the airport at midnight (it's 5am-5pm)...
I have a friend who arrived yesterday with her family and she mentioned that they had indeed to declare their information (phone, address) and that they agree that they are subject to the 14 day quarantine unless they take the test (PCR or antigen) again and have negative results. She said they didn't mention any restrictions regarding if they could just go to the lab today...
Personally I would arrange for the test to be done at the hotel, some of the labs have the service : Synlab mentions to call to arrange https://www.synlab.pe/panel/prueba-de-antigeno/ but this one "Aptus" https://teleticket.com.pe/aptus can be scheduled online I think...
Thank you, VERY helpful!
Old Apr 5, 21, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

The information I can find on the Lima airport testing facility is here. https://unilabs.joinnus.com/ But it says they are only open from 5:00AM to 5:00PM. I have seen various official sources saying that the 14 day quarantine can be waived with a negative antigen test within 24 hours of arrival but I have not seen exactly how the mechanics of that works in practice. It is implied, but not specifically stated, that a traveler could just get tested at any approved lab within 24 hours of arrival. But the details of that seem a bit foggy.

In any case I'll be able to update in a few weeks one way or another.

Big thanks for the information andreadbc provided.
JNelson113 likes this.

Last edited by Mabuk dan gila; Apr 5, 21 at 7:46 pm
Old Apr 6, 21, 6:19 am

Programs: Cards: JPMR, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Thanks for posting this information, and I look forward to hearing what you find out. Were planning on flying into Lima for an 11 PM or so arrival in July. The adults will have been fully vaccinated but kids wont be. Hopefully there can be some type of pre-approval process with testing in the US, but if not, maybe the hotel testing would work mentioned above. The US Embassy lists an announcement date of March 15th for testing to be acceptable to avoid quarantine, so perhaps they may still work on it.
Old Apr 6, 21, 7:01 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
Thanks for posting this information, and I look forward to hearing what you find out. We’re planning on flying into Lima for an 11 PM or so arrival in July. The adults will have been fully vaccinated but kids won’t be. Hopefully there can be some type of pre-approval process with testing in the US, but if not, maybe the hotel testing would work mentioned above. The US Embassy lists an announcement date of March 15th for testing to be acceptable to avoid quarantine, so perhaps they may still work on it.
Testing before your flight to Peru is required to travel (negative PCR or antigen, results within 72h of flight departure), testing after arrival in Peru is to end the mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving passengers. Authorized labs supposedly share results with the Health Ministry. I would guess that most problems in practice would be if trying to depart the country before.

This test doesn't have to be within 24-hours of arrival or at the airport, it just has to be a negative antigen test (this was the updated regulation on March 15th). Of course this might be modified before July, perhaps vaccination status will be considered, it's too early to know.
Jessica Ashurst likes this.
Old Apr 6, 21, 8:08 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Testing before your flight to Peru is required to travel (negative PCR or antigen, results within 72h of flight departure), testing after arrival in Peru is to end the mandatory 14-day quarantine for all arriving passengers. Authorized labs supposedly share results with the Health Ministry. I would guess that most problems in practice would be if trying to depart the country before.

This test doesn't have to be within 24-hours of arrival or at the airport, it just has to be a negative antigen test (this was the updated regulation on March 15th). Of course this might be modified before July, perhaps vaccination status will be considered, it's too early to know.
Thanks! For clarity, if we want to go visit places in Peru, we would need to test in the USA, and then test again after we arrive in Peru before were allowed to go anywhere but the hotel and testing place. In that case, wed have to schedule a test for first thing in the morning after arriving on an evening flight and if we pass, then we can go about our trip. Does that sound correct? It would be great not to have to test in Peru in some way especially if we cant do it at the Lima airport.
Old Apr 6, 21, 8:33 pm
Ambassador, LATAM

Originally Posted by schalliol View Post
Thanks! For clarity, if we want to go visit places in Peru, we would need to test in the USA, and then test again after we arrive in Peru before were allowed to go anywhere but the hotel and testing place. In that case, wed have to schedule a test for first thing in the morning after arriving on an evening flight and if we pass, then we can go about our trip. Does that sound correct? It would be great not to have to test in Peru in some way especially if we cant do it at the Lima airport.
Currently, those are the official regulations, yes. The final test can be antigen so the results are very fast. I'm sure most hotels have lab contacts as well.
schalliol and Jessica Ashurst like this.
Old Apr 22, 21, 6:51 pm

Update? Is it worth it?

We also have a trip to peru planned at the end of May. I understand the requirements for testing upon arrival, and i am wondering how easy it is to get the antigen test the day after arrival.
My main question is: is it worth it to go right now? Or will all the sights be closed? How strict are the curfews in Cusco? We have a salkantay trek planned and I believe that is not cancelled.
Id love to hear from those visitors who have actually been to peru in the last month or two and have first hand accounts.
JNelson113 likes this.
Old Apr 24, 21, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Here in Miraflores now. This was incredibly useful advice. I booked the Aptus test on the teleticket you mentioned. You can choose a 2 hour window where they will arrive at your hotel. The tech arrived right in the middle of the time window, I was swabbed and had my negative result within 20 minutes. Medical certificate pdf delivered to the email registered when signing up for the test. I am now free to move around the country. Cost was 150 SOL. ~$40 even. As far as the arrival experience. They checked my preflight antigen test and that I had accurately completed the online health affidavit. Ordinary transfer to my hotel and self quarantine there in the honor system until the morning when I got the new test. All very easy.
Old Apr 24, 21, 11:39 am
Ambassador, LATAM

Originally Posted by Mabuk dan gila View Post
Here in Miraflores now. This was incredibly useful advice. I booked the Aptus test on the teleticket you mentioned. You can choose a 2 hour window where they will arrive at your hotel. The tech arrived right in the middle of the time window, I was swabbed and had my negative result within 20 minutes. Medical certificate pdf delivered to the email registered when signing up for the test. I am now free to move around the country. Cost was 150 SOL. ~$40 even. As far as the arrival experience. They checked my preflight antigen test and that I had accurately completed the online health affidavit. Ordinary transfer to my hotel and self quarantine there in the honor system until the morning when I got the new test. All very easy.
I'm glad to know your arrival worked out alright! The only thing is that I've heard some conflicting information about if the labs are actually registering the results with the Health Ministry or not (I suspect the only moment that this is actually being checked is at the airport). I would recommend having the results printed out (just in case). I wouldn't expect you to have any further issues hopefully. It might be a bit hard to keep track of some other restrictions (they've been changing frequently), but I do hope you have a good trip.

Search this Thread