Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Pisco Sours: A Word of Caution

Pisco Sours: A Word of Caution

Old Apr 9, 18, 4:20 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,471
Pisco Sours: A Word of Caution

I've been to Peru several times and have never had any issues with getting sick, but my latest trip down with a group of 13 people for two weeks proved different. Almost 90% of the group got hit at least once through the two week trip with a food related illness. Most of the group had been very careful to avoid tap water and also careful about what types of food they ate. One thing that was common among everyone in the group is that they had been drinking Pisco Sours (made with raw egg whites) on and off during the whole trip.

I've read more recently that due to the high protein of the egg, the Pisco's alcohol content does not do much protecting against salmonella. I've also read that even if the alcohol content of the drink was high enough, it would need a decent amount of time to "rest" after the drink has been made in order to kill it off. There is also the potential that the water used to make the drink or the water used to make the ice in the drink could cause issues.

Even if you remove the risk of salmonella, the large amount of sugar in the drink could upset some stomachs after just a few. I'll probably stick with Cusqueñas on my next visit.

Just a word of caution. It is a very tasty drink otherwise!
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:08 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: TPA
Programs: British, United,SW, Delta,Iberia,KLM, Qatar, IHG, Hilton, Marriott, Starwood, Radisson, Wyndham,
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by Astrophsx View Post
I've been to Peru several times and have never had any issues with getting sick, but my latest trip down with a group of 13 people for two weeks proved different. Almost 90% of the group got hit at least once through the two week trip with a food related illness. Most of the group had been very careful to avoid tap water and also careful about what types of food they ate. One thing that was common among everyone in the group is that they had been drinking Pisco Sours (made with raw egg whites) on and off during the whole trip.

I've read more recently that due to the high protein of the egg, the Pisco's alcohol content does not do much protecting against salmonella. I've also read that even if the alcohol content of the drink was high enough, it would need a decent amount of time to "rest" after the drink has been made in order to kill it off. There is also the potential that the water used to make the drink or the water used to make the ice in the drink could cause issues.

Even if you remove the risk of salmonella, the large amount of sugar in the drink could upset some stomachs after just a few. I'll probably stick with Cusqueñas on my next visit.

Just a word of caution. It is a very tasty drink otherwise!
I visited Peru back in December and had a similar experience. I pretty much have a 'cast-iron stomach' and have eaten all sorts of questionable street foods all over the world without any issues. However, while having dinner at El Albergue in Ollantaytambo and trying their Pisco sour variations, I also got very sick. Mind that this was the night before starting our Inca trail trek to Machu Picchu. Needless to say it was a very rough day hiking up the mountains...
honores41 is offline  
Old Apr 9, 18, 8:12 pm
  #3  
TBD
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MCO
Programs: All The Programs
Posts: 1,449
After "just a few"?!
Those things are pretty strong, if I remember!
TBD is offline  
Old Apr 15, 18, 7:16 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Southern California
Programs: AA EXPlat; HHonors Diamond
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
After "just a few"?!
Those things are pretty strong, if I remember!
They are damn good, too. Don't discourage me!!!
catcher1 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 18, 6:03 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Programs: Delta Kryptonium
Posts: 1,117
I would suspect the ice more than anything else.
Yoshi212 likes this.
rubesl is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 9:50 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 351
Another option is a chilcano, which is actually my favorite Peruvian drink (especially a maracuya chilcano!). It has pretty much the same ingredients but no egg whites.
FrogProf is offline  
Old Apr 18, 18, 11:04 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,471
Originally Posted by FrogProf View Post
Another option is a chilcano, which is actually my favorite Peruvian drink (especially a maracuya chilcano!). It has pretty much the same ingredients but no egg whites.
This isn't correct. A Chilcano is made of ginger ale, lime, and Pisco. A Pisco Sour has a lot of added sugar as well.
Astrophsx is offline  
Old Apr 25, 18, 4:04 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Traveling some where hopefully
Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Posts: 1,951
My wife and I spent 4/7-4/14/2018 at a beautiful Hotel on the beach 70 miles South of Lima. We made the mistake of both having salads on the 11th. I had the Inca's revenge the next day and my wife had it 4 days later and a lot worse. 2 hospital visits after our return the results were positive for e coli. We've been to many Countries in Asia, Central and S America but this was our first.
jjmiller69 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 18, 4:38 pm
  #9  
TBD
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MCO
Programs: All The Programs
Posts: 1,449
Pisco sterilizes food in your stomach.
TBD is offline  
Old Apr 28, 18, 11:22 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,471
Originally Posted by TBD View Post
Pisco sterilizes food in your stomach.
I wish that were true!
Astrophsx is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread