Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Luxury Amazon lodges

Luxury Amazon lodges

Old Nov 7, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Luxury Amazon lodges

Hello there folks - I am looking to plan a trip for my family (wife and 14 y.o. daughter) for spring break (April) 2018. I am based in Lima (but the family isn't) and have to admit that I have not yet had the occasion to spend time in the jungle. Plenty of time already doing the main elements of the Gringo trail - Cusco/Puno/Arequipa...

So... was thinking of surprising the family with either a trip to the Treehouse Lodge (Iquitos) or Inkaterra Tambopata (Puerto Maldonado). Probably 3 or 4 days total. Any experience, thoughts or suggestions? The family is not interested in roughing it - so there needs to be an element of pampering involved - understanding full well what can and cannot be provided in the selva.

Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium
We stayed at the Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica, I think that's the one you're asking about, in March. It's very nice & very rustic, but probably the best you'll find in the jungle. You have about a 30 - 40 minute boat ride from Puerto Maldonado to the Amazonica. There is a closer (to Puerto) Inkaterra on the other side of the river but it's not as nice (we went there for part of one day). Two nights in the jungle is plenty. Also, there is no pampering in the jungle.

Last edited by rubesl; Nov 8, 2017 at 10:09 am
Old Nov 10, 2017, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Lufthansa Miles & More
Yes thatís the one. Thanks for your advice - and yes, pampering may have been the wrong term...
Old Nov 14, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
I stayed in town in Iquitos (for financial reasons) but did one of those daytrip deals to a resort that was maybe 10 miles downriver. There are daytime activities, but at night it really is self-contained and limited to things like reading books in hammocks with lights powered by car batteries. Next best thing to camping. Meals also had to be done freshly and without refrigeration (the boats bringing day guests in also brought produce and supplies).

Am sure there are places with more portable generation and maybe even satellite TV or Internet but I'd say those detract from the richness/uniqueness of the experience on a 2-dayer by comparison. Without Internet or cellphones you're more likely to hear the jungle noises or contemplate the temporary isolation.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Did the Amazon thing last December with my daughter. Amazing place if you're into birds. Fishing for Piranhas was fun, and the food was very good but not particularly varied. Keep in mind that there are many things that bite, including tiny little gives that find their way to your sock line and cause nasty rashes and infections that can be with you for a month or two. Not that I know anything about that! Also ticks. Glad I visited the Amazon, but no desire to head back.

The Sacred Valley on the other hand, that trip, two years prior, was amazing! Not sure though which might be more appealing to a 14 year old.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.