Quipu?

Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Quipu?

I'll be in Peru soon - a full day plus [Added in edit: no; my mistake] two half days in Cusco before hiking starts, then a 12-hour (more or less) layover in Lima on the way home. I'd like to see some real quipu* and hopefully shoot a brief GoPro video of me with them for my college information systems classes and as supporting material for a book on the subject. Does anyone know where I can find some in either of those two cities that are open to the public and where photography (no flash) would be permitted?

*An Inca record-keeping and calculation system based on tying knots in strings. The kinds of knots and arrangement of strings conveyed a great deal of information. Since the Inca language had ten consonant sounds and the numbers were in the decimal system, quipu could also be used to store text, but that got awkward beyond very small amounts.

Last edited by Efrem; Jun 13, 2017 at 8:58 am
Old Jun 13, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by Efrem
I'll be in Peru soon - a full day plus two half days in Cusco before hiking starts, then a 12-hour (more or less) layover in Lima on the way home. I'd like to see some real quipu* and hopefully shoot a brief GoPro video of me with them for my college information systems classes and as supporting material for a book on the subject. Does anyone know where I can find some in either of those two cities that are open to the public and where photography (no flash) would be permitted?

*An Inca record-keeping and calculation system based on tying knots in strings. The kinds of knots and arrangement of strings conveyed a great deal of information. Since the Inca language had ten consonant sounds and the numbers were in the decimal system, quipu could also be used to store text, but that got awkward beyond very small amounts.
I recall seeing this; I believe it was in Lima at the National Museum of Anthropology in Bolivar Square but it might also have been at a village we visited in Chinchero, near Cusco. You should also check the Museo Inka in Cusco.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Section 107
I recall seeing this; I believe it was in Lima at the National Museum of Anthropology in Bolivar Square but it might also have been at a village we visited in Chinchero, near Cusco. You should also check the Museo Inka in Cusco.
Great ideas, thank you! I'll start with the Museo Inka because Cusco is first on my agenda. Some reviewers complain because it has no signs in English; here's hoping my Spanish is up to the task. We'll visit Chinchero two days later, so I'll be able to check that out if Cusco didn't meet the need, and Lima comes at the end of the trip with plenty of time to visit that museum if it's still necessary.

(By the way, I just re-checked the schedule. Only two half-days in Cusco before things start up; I stuck in an extra day before. Wishful thinking, perhaps. Still ought to be enough to find quipu, if quipu are to be found.)
Old Jun 13, 2017, 12:15 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by Section 107
I exactly thought in both places, too. But not sure if non-flash photos are allowed. I remember seen a quipu in a (museum) dark room, but can't remember which museum was.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Villavic
I exactly thought in both places, too. But not sure if non-flash photos are allowed. I remember seen a quipu in a (museum) dark room, but can't remember which museum was.
A quick search on Flickr suggests that people have taken photos of quipu in the Museo Inka in Cusco and the Museo Larco in Lima, among other places (including a museum in Madrid, which I'd love to visit but isn't in the cards for this trip). Nothing says if they were allowed to take the photos or just got away with it. I could probably do that - a GoPro is unobtrusive, silent, and its "Recording" light is small - but I'd rather not*. Guess I'll find out soon!

Old Jun 14, 2017, 11:49 am

I have taken photos at Larco Herrera Museum, it is allowed. Though can't remember there was a quipu there. Probably there is.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by Villavic
I have taken photos at Larco Herrera Museum, it is allowed. Though can't remember there was a quipu there. Probably there is.
Found something online: http://www.museolarco.org/catalogo/ficha.php?id=20039

They should have it!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:06 pm
cjp

There is a museum of pre-Colombian textiles in Miraflores.

http://eng.museoamano.org/
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by cjp
There is a museum of pre-Colombian textiles in Miraflores.

http://eng.museoamano.org/
I've not visited Amano museum yet. Silly me cause everybody told me IT IS A MUST.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.