Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Entry card no longer needed?

Old Dec 23, 16, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R

I've just entered Peru via LIM. I've noticed this time they only stamped my passport, but not an entry form I had to fill out and to be collected during exit, has the formality changed?

I've asked/looked around and it seems like every US citizen just entered by filling out the custom form.
Old Dec 24, 16, 3:52 am

Not given out anymore, for the past several weeks.

The problem is that some hotels are still insisting the non-existent TAM form before giving the 18% IGV tax exemption. They are supposed to check for a "virtual TAM" , but there have been many cases where they have not, and the visitor has had to pay the 18%. Insist on not paying, and have them do the virtual TAM search at http://cel.migraciones.gob.pe/Consul...l/VerificarTAM
It might even be a good idea to copy the virtual confirmation after arrival to show to the hotel.
Old Dec 26, 16, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, DL, WY, Radisson R
Thanks for the response, my issue isn't about paying the tax or not, instead, it´s the hassle when you leave the country.

I am suspecting the immigration is doing it on purpose so they can collect fines.

I'll get this form printed to minimize any risk or hassle I might come across.
Old Dec 27, 16, 8:59 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
What I just read is that it is no longer necessary for travelers entering Peru, by air, to fill the declaration of baggage when they do not have goods of value or goods for which they must pay taxes. That's the customs form, not the immigration (white) form. I thought the immigration form is still necessary to fill

The new (december 26) also said This will be applied initially only at Jorge Chávez airport, in Lima, because it is the one that receives the most passengers. Gradually it will be implemented in other cities.

It is complemented by the 'Welcome to Peru' campaign, in which users can obtain information from the Sunat online before boarding, during the flight and in the waiting room through its institutional portal. Also available in mobile and tablet applications.

It was written in future tense, I was wondering when it will begin, but it seems it's already applied.
Old Dec 28, 16, 7:48 am
Ambassador, LAN LANPASS

Programs: LATAM, Lifemiles, Virtuoso TA
Originally Posted by vincewy View Post
I am suspecting the immigration is doing it on purpose so they can collect fines.
Everything was already registered anyway in their system, it's supposed to be about less redundant paperwork for everyone. They do need to get the word out to the hotels though.
Old Dec 28, 16, 7:20 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
The entry/exit card/slip were discontinued (at least in LIM) on November. It's all virtual now. However, if you have a slip from your entry/exit, I'd suggest keeping it, just in case.
Old Jan 15, 17, 11:48 am

Just an update, I have been in Peru for three weeks. No issues at hotels with not having the entry paper. Two hotels did try to charge me the 18%, but in bioth cases they said ok after I said I did not have to pay as a foreign tourist. I did speak to one tourist who was charged. I was ready to giove them the login for the migracion site to check my virtual entry form, but did not need to resort to that.
Old Jan 29, 17, 5:21 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Mileage Plus Silver
Originally Posted by David Beach View Post
Just an update, I have been in Peru for three weeks. No issues at hotels with not having the entry paper. Two hotels did try to charge me the 18%, but in bioth cases they said ok after I said I did not have to pay as a foreign tourist. I did speak to one tourist who was charged. I was ready to giove them the login for the migracion site to check my virtual entry form, but did not need to resort to that.
Did getting rid of the immigration card reduce paperwork or time to checkin at all? In September, I remember at every hotel, there were 5 photocopies for each person checking in involved.
Old Jan 31, 17, 4:45 pm

Well, a lot less photocopying this year compared to a year ago. Some took photos of the passport, most didn't. Some were happy with not seeing my passport at all, just having me write down the number, which seems risky for them. I was not staying at top hotels. Just got back from over 5 weeks in Lima and the north.

Search this Thread