Search

Weather for May

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2016, 3:25 pm
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
Weather for May

We are heading for Peru third week of this month. We are looking forward to visit Lima, Cusco, Colca Canyon, Arequipa, Puno, MP...

I am wondering about what type of weather to expect to help us pack. More importantly, I wonder about the climb to MP as we arrive early morning when it is cool and will have to shed layers as we climb... and to have to lug these with us!!

I am saying to myself: long pants, long sleeves, sweater, windbreaker (which keeps one pretty warm and is light to take).

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Old May 7, 2016, 6:47 pm

Sorry to say that, but you are sort of lazy: did a couple of Google searches with "weather in Peru" (in quotes) and got more than 90K hits.

Moreover, Peru extends from the sea, up to the top of the Andes and down to the Amazon region. Again, sorry for being sarcastic, but have you really checked where you're going to?
Old May 8, 2016, 12:46 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
Due to the El Nino, all the coastal area is going to be very hot. However, from past experience, I can say that all cities in the altitude have a variable weather. That said, it will be very very hot if you're standing in direct sunlight. If you're in the shadows, the windchill will cool you down very fast. And at nights, it will be very cold.

Peru is not a country where you can say "we're just going to have a hot humid weather during this season". It is known for having all kinds of weather combinations all around the country, all around the year. Even in Lima itself, you can have several micro-weathers inside an area. I would say that's something to experience :P
Old May 9, 2016, 10:14 am
MTC
Original Poster

Programs: Aegean Flying Blue
I was seeking advice from savvy travellers who have been there and not from someone who can hit a few keys to research and then attempt to dispense advice Trumpian style. Sorry for the sarcasm but you know what I mean!

Advice from FT'ers like joseantonior is a breath of fresh air, very much welcome and appreciated.
Old May 10, 2016, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by MTC
I was seeking advice from savvy travellers who have been there and not from someone who can hit a few keys to research and then attempt to dispense advice Trumpian style. Sorry for the sarcasm but you know what I mean!

Advice from FT'ers like joseantonior is a breath of fresh air, very much welcome and appreciated.
I'll try to answer in a non-sarcastic, non-Trumpian () way: My point was exactly what you write! Asking a question on Peru weather in a site like FT is not going to give you the answer you actually need. For example, when I first visited Peru during the rainy season (yes, I know Peru quite well), I did not see a single drop of rain. Was it because I visited mostly places with an average low rainfall? Was is just because it just happened that there was less rain at the particular places I visited on these particular days? How could I know, and how would this be helpful to you or anybody else planning a trip? Perhaps somebody who visited the exactly same places starting his trip, say, a week later or earlier than me would get soaked each single day. So?

What I suggested was to look at tens of sites that provide you with "statements" based on stats for something like weather. There are a few of those that do provide you with serious info. joseeantonior's absolutely correct answer regarding "microclimate" is to the point but, on a practical basis, how does one know whether it will affect your own personal experience?

Well, visit Peru and enjoy it (I'm certain you will). As for seing Trumps (plural of Trump) everywhere, just relax. I know it's a scary thought, but try to follow Monty Python's advice:
:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.