Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Peru Safety Concerns

Peru Safety Concerns

Old Dec 10, 15, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, United Silver, IHG Plat, Choice Privileges Plat, HHonors Silver, Global Entry
Peru Safety Concerns

According to the U.S. Department of State (see warnings below) there is a state of emergency in Callao and there are particular cautions for taxis/crime avoidance at the airport.

I am wondering if the issues in Callao are of any concern for travelers who frequent Miraflores (about 45 min away). Also, while I have travel service arranged transportation to the airport, I am curious about the current state of security/crime in Lima/Cusco, and/or if El Nino is having any impact on these tourist areas.

As a single female traveler I was considering going out to restaurants/bars in the evening, but perhaps I should stick to the hotel or close?

Travel Warning - Callao
The Government of Peru has recently declared a STATE OF EMERGENCY in the province of Callao in Lima, Peru for a period of 45 days, due to violent shooting and extortion incidents that have occurred in that province. In this case, the maintenance of citizen security will be the sole responsibility of the Peruvian National Police (PNP) in Callao for the duration of the STATE OF EMERGENCY. Increased numbers of police checkpoints are expected to be established along major thoroughfares in Callao during this period and all travelers in Callao are reminded to carry identification at all times, be it your Peruvian National Identity Card (DNI), Peruvian Resident Card, or a copy of your passport. Any person found without such identification in Callao may experience unnecessary delays or possible detention by the PNP.

Travel Warning - Airport Taxis
Travelers should be aware of the continuing risk of robbery traveling to and from Jorge Chavez International airport in Lima, especially during the holiday season. Criminals often target main corridors to/from the airport to conduct “smash and grab” robberies, in which they break windows and steal items in the passenger cabin. Robbers tend to target taxis with windows that do not have security window film (“laminado” in Spanish), a laminate that resists window breakage and makes a “smash and grab” robbery more difficult. Embassy employees have been advised to use only taxis with security laminate on the windows.

MITSOO and CMV, two airport-authorized services with counters located at the exit from airport customs, have confirmed that all their vehicles have laminate. TAXI GREEN, which is currently also authorized by the airport, does not have security window film installed for many vehicles. If using other services such as EASY TAXI, UBER, TAXI SATELITAL, TAXI ESTRELLAS and PANAKA, travelers should be sure to request “laminado” taxis.

In addition to using “laminado” taxis, travelers can reduce their risk of robbery by doing the following:

· Use taxi services that record a history of the car and driver assigned for your trip.

· If carrying luggage, request a car with a trunk where your bags can be hidden from view.

· Keep all valuables out of sight, preferably on the floor of the vehicle, under your legs.

· Do not place bags or purses on the seat or your lap where they may be easily stolen in a smash-and-grab.

· If possible, carry money and important documents in a money belt on your person.
Old Dec 10, 15, 2:10 pm

Callao isn't a great area in general and there certainly are robberies along the main roads sometimes but its not a war zone. You have reliable transportation arranged, so lock the doors and dont fiddle with your phone and you'll be outta there soon enough.

Miraflores is totally fine. I think I've even seen a few single woman walking around at night, one or twice

It does seem there has been an increase in crime this year but it also seems like the chatter has been overblown. Still, you don't need to be overly paranoid. Just use basic common sense. It would be a shame to go and then sit in the hotel because you're afraid to go out.
Old Dec 10, 15, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by SammySpade View Post
Callao isn't a great area in general and there certainly are robberies along the main roads sometimes but its not a war zone.
[...]
It does seem there has been an increase in crime this year but it also seems like the chatter has been overblown. Still, you don't need to be overly paranoid. Just use basic common sense.

Agreed and agreed. First off, Callao isn't the type of area I would consider going--personally, I've only been there a handful of times, even as a resident. Unfortunately, all you see in Peru news channels is delinquency-related issues which happen in the not so nice/'less GDP per capita' areas (to put it nicely) of Lima, which includes Callao. And that's the reason this issue has blown out of proportion. In contrast, being in Miraflores, Barranco, San Isidro gives much much less of a worry. Regardless, and as mentioned, exercise caution and common sense, just like you would anywhere you go. Enjoy the trip!
Old Dec 11, 15, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, United Silver, IHG Plat, Choice Privileges Plat, HHonors Silver, Global Entry
Thanks for the advice. I knew flyertalkers would give it to me straight
Old Dec 14, 15, 5:36 am
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: AA Platinum, Delta Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
I just came back from Lima last week I stayed in Miraflores and felt perfectly safe there. Even walking back to the hotel around 11pm after a few drinks. It is a great city. I arranged a pick up from the airport in advance and didn't really think the route he took me through even at night didn't really look that dangerous to me. Enjoy your time there!
Old Dec 14, 15, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: statusless these days
Callao is the port district of Lima and as such always has had a bad reputation. Was on a (repositioning) cruise that overnighted there last year and the ship's staff made it in no ways uncertain that a taxi ride was not safe and walking around outside the port gates as dangerous. We went anyway and got our river to come back to take us for a tour the next day.
Old Dec 18, 15, 8:18 pm

Programs: KLM, Enrich MAS, Emirates Skywards
Just got back from Lima (first week Dec 2015). Callao is under emergency, our tour guide told us when sending us to the airport. Callao is a bit run down, so at any time, never go alone. Seemed busy tho but it is a notorious area.

Miraflores, Barranco is fine....all pleasant to walk about. Friend and I walked at sunset from Barranco back to Miraflores by the sea (and parts were not always lit). Nothing happened, just taxis beeping us to take a ride. We ended at La Rosa Nautica for a quick drink. It did cross my mind about safety but Miraflores seems ok

Best arrange a hotel taxi to Airport and back, or Uber it. As taxis are not price controlled or metered, i found Uber useful. Get a local SIM for internet/calls (esp Uber)...Claro at Ave Larco has some staff that can help.
Old Dec 25, 15, 9:12 pm

Programs: United Premier Silver (Former Premier 1K), Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Silver, AmEx Plat
Callao is a dangerous area most of the year. Living here, I can tell you that Miraflores and Barranco are safe-ish areas. Barranco does have some dangerous areas, though. Just take your precautions, as you were in any other city in the world.

Uber does work here, so if you need a ride to the airport or somewhere else, I find it my preferred way of transport.

In case you needed to move from one area to another and you only had cash and no Internet, Taxi Satelital is useful as well. They only take cash, though. You can call 3555555 from landlines or add 01 in front if you're calling from a cellphone.
Old Dec 29, 15, 8:07 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
There are specific high danger zones in Callao and the route between the airport and Miraflores/Barranco/downtown does not include those zones.

Could I be victim of thiefs while being in a cab along that route? Well, it's possible, yes. As possible as being shot in NYC or outside a Colorado movie theater. But those events would not discourage me of visiting those places.

I've not read any trouble related with the Callao situation with tourists, passengers nowadays.

Search this Thread