Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Using Urubamba as a MP Launching Point

Old Apr 5, 15, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold

I am putting together a 6 day itinerary for my family (6 and 9 year old) in the MP area. We are spending most of our time at the Tambo del Inka. Unfortunately we missed out on getting a permit for the 2 day Inca Trail hike so we are going to do this on my own. From reading here it looks like about 2 hours from the hotels train station to Aguas Calientes so getting there at the opening is not an option.

1. If we want to do the Huaynapicchu can we get there in time to do the 10 am option?
2. Does http://www.machupicchu.gob.pe/ work? I am able to enter my information but it always freezes when I go to checkout.
3. Should I do Cuzco as a day trip from Tambo del Inka and take advantage of 5th night free or should I just spend my last night in Cuzco and take advantage of a local hotel? I cannot figure out which timing makes sense, I have a 1PM flight back to Lima.
Old Apr 6, 15, 12:44 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by ghia74 View Post
3. Should I do Cuzco as a day trip from Tambo del Inka and take advantage of 5th night free or should I just spend my last night in Cuzco and take advantage of a local hotel? I cannot figure out which timing makes sense, I have a 1PM flight back to Lima.
I will go for the second option. If you want to visit the ruins near Cusco city (Sacsayhuaman, Tambomachay, Qenqo, Puka Pukará) plus the Cathedral and Qoricancha (not mentioning other museums or monasteries within the city), one day is hardly enough.
Old Apr 10, 15, 1:16 pm

You'll love Tambo Del Inka. Easy and safe walk into town for shops and restaurants too if you want them. I'd say no to the 10am Huanyapicchu once you add in the bus and hiking across MP to get to it. If you really wanted it TDI would arrange a taxi for you to the Ollantaytambo train station for an earlier departure. For the MP tickets, try switching using the Spanish version of the site. That worked for us. For rail tickets we emailed PeruRail as our CC kept getting rejected. Through email it was a breeze. I'd agree that spending the last day in Cusco would be worth it.

Enjoy!
Old Apr 11, 15, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by safetysecond View Post
You'll love Tambo Del Inka. Easy and safe walk into town for shops and restaurants too if you want them. I'd say no to the 10am Huanyapicchu once you add in the bus and hiking across MP to get to it. If you really wanted it TDI would arrange a taxi for you to the Ollantaytambo train station for an earlier departure. For the MP tickets, try switching using the Spanish version of the site. That worked for us. For rail tickets we emailed PeruRail as our CC kept getting rejected. Through email it was a breeze. I'd agree that spending the last day in Cusco would be worth it.

Enjoy!
Good tip on using the Spanish only to book. Using English only allows you to see availability, you need Spanish version to reserve and pay. I did book and got the 10 am climb so I will take your advice on getting a taxi to Ollantayambo in the morning and than we can take the train all the way back at night.

Will also spend our last day in Cusco to take it in.
Old Apr 21, 15, 4:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List, SPG Plat
Just took the train from the Tambo to AC last week. We were inside MP at 10:15.

The timing of your trip might matter too- we didn't have a line or wait for a bus. From what I've heard, there can be a queue depending on tim of year. If its this summer, you might expect as much.

Cusco is pretty cool. Definitely worth more than a day, especially to see the ruins nearby. Why not stay at the Palacio? Quite nice hotel. My gold got us an upgrade to a junior suite. Directly across from Qorikancha.
Old Apr 23, 15, 11:07 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=MotownMan;24700096]Just took the train from the Tambo to AC last week. We were inside MP at 10:15.[/QUOTE

Just curious, did you take the first train in the morning out of Tambo? I will definitely need to get there on the early side which might mean taxi to Ollantaytambo.

I will probably squeeze in a second day in Cusco.
Old Apr 25, 15, 7:23 am

Programs: WN A-List, SPG Plat
[QUOTE=ghia74;24709496]
Originally Posted by MotownMan View Post
Just took the train from the Tambo to AC last week. We were inside MP at 10:15.[/QUOTE

Just curious, did you take the first train in the morning out of Tambo? I will definitely need to get there on the early side which might mean taxi to Ollantaytambo.

I will probably squeeze in a second day in Cusco.
Yes- first train from Tambo. They have just one out from Urubamba everyday and a return at night. Its scheduled to arrive at 9:30, so you can be at MP by 10:15. We even hunted for a bathroom in AC (and wife needed one up at the entrance to MP as well) and made it by then. You could get up a bit faster if you walk straight to the bus stop (through the market- follow the signs/crowd of people exiting the train) and got on a bus right away.

However, while leaving from the Tambo is convenient, if you don't mind waking up a bit earlier and want to ensure getting to MP early, then the train from Olly could be a good fit. I mean, there isn't a big difference between spending a few minutes in a taxi or in the train car. You'll be on an expedition instead of vistadome. You can read about the difference easily online. The return on Vistadome is certainly worth fitting into your schedule if possible.

Search this Thread