Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cusco Trip - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:17 pm
jer
Original Poster

Location: My childhood was typical: Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons.
Cusco Trip - Ideas?

Hi all,

My wife and I are headed to Cusco and Machu Pichu on Sunday. All the flights and hotels are booked, but I was going to leave the scheduling of MP and other activities until arrival. But having found this sub-forum, thought I might glean ideas and suggestions from any with experience. Here is our itin:

March 15: Arrive Lima at 1130 p.m., overnight at Wyndam Airport Hotel
March 16: LIM-CUS arrive at 12:45 p.m. (biz class on Avianca)
March 16 - 19: Urubamba, Tambo del Inka Hotel
March 19 - 22: Cusco, Palacio del Inka
March 22: CUS-LIM (econ class on Aianca) arrive 2:20 p.m.
March 23: LIM-USA at 12:30a.m. (giving us a ten hour layover)

I'm open to any tips or suggestions others who have done this trip might recommend. The Tambo del Inka advertises an MP trip out of their "private train station." Has anyone done that trip? Is it worth it? Other recommendations for either Urubamba or Cusco? Transport issues from Cusco to Urubamba? Any and all input very welcome and much appreciated!

Many Thanks in advance, and I will be sure to post a full report.

Thanks,
jer
Old Mar 10, 2015, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Your schedule for Machu Picchu depends on what time you want to get there. Looks like there aren't many trains that go from/to Urubamba so that's limiting, unless you want to go to/from Ollantaytambo by car.

As far as CUZ to Urubamba, either arrange a car (the hotel will probably charge around $50 or you can bargain with a driver in CUZ for around 40% less). The town in on the way to Ollantaytambo and sees a lot of car/taxi and mini/tour bus traffic.

Not certain how much you're into archeology but the sites require a combined site ticket (some degree of control on what is included and/or not depending on where you buy it). Lots to see between Cusco and the Sacred valley,and along the sacred valley.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
So how did the trip go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.