Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

Lima Newbie Pointers Please?

Lima Newbie Pointers Please?

Old Dec 20, 14, 2:59 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,865
Lima Newbie Pointers Please?

Hi all, headed to Lima for my first time. It's pretty much just a mileage run, but I get in early on 26 Dec and leave early on Dec 28, so I'll have 2 full days in the city. I'm staying at the Sheraton. I guess my questions are, in order:
1. Getting from the airport to the hotel - from reading this forum and other websites, it sounds like Lima taxis can be dicey. Should I contact the Sheraton and arrange for a transfer? Is there a taxi queue? Taxi desks? I've traveled to a lot of other countries and generally have gotten by ignoring all the various touts the hover around the customs exit doors and following the signs to the taxi queues.
2. Language - My spoken Spanish is horrible. I can understand some spoken Spanish and read some Spanish, but can't speak it any more. Certainly not well enough to have any type of intelligible conversation. How much of an issue will that be?
3. Personal safety - Usually, when visiting someplace, I try to walk everywhere and avoid taking any form of transit. I rely on the hotel map and my iPhone (6 Plus). How much of an issue is it going to be for a single tourist to be wandering around, alone, usually looking slightly lost, frequently pulling out his iPhone and looking at maps? Again, I've never been bothered, but reading this and other forums makes me wonder if, perhaps, I'd be better sticking to more organized activities or not wandering around as much while in Lima?
jimrpa is offline  
Old Dec 20, 14, 3:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
Hi all, headed to Lima for my first time. It's pretty much just a mileage run, but I get in early on 26 Dec and leave early on Dec 28, so I'll have 2 full days in the city. I'm staying at the Sheraton. I guess my questions are, in order:
1. Getting from the airport to the hotel - from reading this forum and other websites, it sounds like Lima taxis can be dicey. Should I contact the Sheraton and arrange for a transfer? Is there a taxi queue? Taxi desks? I've traveled to a lot of other countries and generally have gotten by ignoring all the various touts the hover around the customs exit doors and following the signs to the taxi queues.
2. Language - My spoken Spanish is horrible. I can understand some spoken Spanish and read some Spanish, but can't speak it any more. Certainly not well enough to have any type of intelligible conversation. How much of an issue will that be?
3. Personal safety - Usually, when visiting someplace, I try to walk everywhere and avoid taking any form of transit. I rely on the hotel map and my iPhone (6 Plus). How much of an issue is it going to be for a single tourist to be wandering around, alone, usually looking slightly lost, frequently pulling out his iPhone and looking at maps? Again, I've never been bothered, but reading this and other forums makes me wonder if, perhaps, I'd be better sticking to more organized activities or not wandering around as much while in Lima?
1) I would recommend you take Taxi Green - it s right after customs, and before you exit the airport. It will cost about 50 Nuevos Soles (a little less than $20) to go to the Sheraton and they have nice/safe cars. Don't take a taxi from outside the airport.
2) Unless you are in the nicer parts of town, few people will speak English. You won't have a problem at the Sheraton. I'd recommend writing down in Spanish a few key phrases you think you might need to get around.
3) Take a taxi to Miraflores and just wonder around. The same for downtown Lima. It will be safe. Just don't carry a lot of money in your wallet. Leave your passport in the hotel's safe, and carry your DL as an ID. Remember that data usage can be very expensive, so don't rely on getting maps from your IPhone unless you have preloaded them.

If you are more adventurous, find a way to go to the ruins of Pachacamac. It is an hour away from the Sheraton and although not nearly as impressive as the ruins in Cuzco, it is still worth the trip to go see them.

Have fun!
Pedro M is online now  
Old Dec 20, 14, 4:42 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,865
Originally Posted by Pedro M View Post
1) I would recommend you take Taxi Green - it s right after customs, and before you exit the airport. It will cost about 50 Nuevos Soles (a little less than $20) to go to the Sheraton and they have nice/safe cars. Don't take a taxi from outside the airport.
2) Unless you are in the nicer parts of town, few people will speak English. You won't have a problem at the Sheraton. I'd recommend writing down in Spanish a few key phrases you think you might need to get around.
3) Take a taxi to Miraflores and just wonder around. The same for downtown Lima. It will be safe. Just don't carry a lot of money in your wallet. Leave your passport in the hotel's safe, and carry your DL as an ID. Remember that data usage can be very expensive, so don't rely on getting maps from your IPhone unless you have preloaded them.

If you are more adventurous, find a way to go to the ruins of Pachacamac. It is an hour away from the Sheraton and although not nearly as impressive as the ruins in Cuzco, it is still worth the trip to go see them.

Have fun!
Thanks for all the advice! I always get an international data plan before I leave the US. I've never run into issues.

Will the Taxi company you recommend actually be called "Taxi Green", or "Taxi Verde"?

The ruins definitely sound cool and I'll be sure to check them out!

Again, thanks!
jimrpa is offline  
Old Dec 20, 14, 7:53 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 436
The taxi company is called "Taxi Green". I always use them when I fly to Lima.
Pedro M is online now  
Old Dec 21, 14, 7:31 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Honolulu
Programs: DL Platinum, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Posts: 65
1)As the other poster said, Green Taxi, or you can prebook with TaxiDatum online (abit more expensive around 20-22 USD).
2)I visited LIM all the way to Macchu Picchu with minimal Spanish; I would recommend knowing numbers in Spanish so you can barter for taxi rides. Do not pay more than 10 Soles for a local ride (ie, between Mira Flores to Barranco).
3)There is a tour company in MiraFlores (central plaza) Kennedy Park, that has a half day tour also. They go through all of the buroughs around Mira Flores.
4)MiraFlores and Barranco are usually safe. Get a small map of the area from Sheraton. Explore the amazing food.
wchinchen is offline  
Old Dec 22, 14, 2:15 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: LAS
Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Gold
Posts: 176
The area right around the Sheraton is mostly computer shops, but if you venture just a little bit further, there are a lot of grand old buildings from the colonial era. The street behind the hotel has a lot of public busses, including one that goes straight to Miraflores.

I was very well treated at the Sheraton, even as SPG Gold staying on points. You have access to the lounge on the 19th floor even as a Gold. The lounge serves an excellent breakfast. There are snacks in the afternoon as well, but I would not go out of your way for them.

There is a mall right next door to the Sheraton. The moneychangers there have decent rates, so I would minimize the amount you change at the airport.
atLAS, aLAS is offline  
Old Dec 25, 14, 9:41 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Wayne, PA USA
Programs: DL MM, Marriott/SPG Lifetime Platinum Premier, HHonors Gold
Posts: 6,865
Thanks again for all the advice!
jimrpa is offline  
Old Dec 25, 14, 9:45 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Merritt Island, FL
Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 436
Originally Posted by jimrpa View Post
Thanks again for all the advice!
I hope things go well during your short trip. Let us know upon your return. Don't forget to try a Pisco Sour if you have a chance!
Pedro M is online now  
Old Dec 27, 14, 12:43 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Redwood City, CA USA (SFO/SJC)
Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Posts: 8,505
Originally Posted by Pedro M View Post
I hope things go well during your short trip. Let us know upon your return. Don't forget to try a Pisco Sour if you have a chance!
On my recent trip to Peru, I'll admit to being underwhelmed by the Pisco Sour. On the other hand, Ceviche, now that is one of the most-awesome dishes ever!
Mike Jacoubowsky is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 4:40 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold
Posts: 465
Lima Newbie Pointers Please?

Sorry late to this - hope you had good visit. I love the WordLens app as it helped me with menus, signs and tourist sites. Since many flights back to US leave after midnight I'd recommend the water fountain park or a cooking class at SkyKitchen - make your own dinner and then go to airport
Philatravelgirl is offline  
Old Dec 27, 14, 4:57 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Redwood City, CA USA (SFO/SJC)
Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Posts: 8,505
Originally Posted by Philatravelgirl View Post
Sorry late to this - hope you had good visit. I love the WordLens app as it helped me with menus, signs and tourist sites. Since many flights back to US leave after midnight I'd recommend the water fountain park or a cooking class at SkyKitchen - make your own dinner and then go to airport
Don't overlook the extraordinarily-civilized 10:30am COPA departure, getting you back to the US between 9-11pm same day. Business class is often available (35k miles). I basically threw away the return segment of my paid flight on UA, so I could avoid dealing with a 4:50am flight home.
Mike Jacoubowsky is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread