Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Machu Picchu Official Guides

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Machu Picchu Official Guides

Just read that Machu Picchu is going to require all foreigners to hire official guides for MP. The guides are to limit the time spent at significant landmarks and make sure the visitors only go on predetermined routes. No date yet as to when this is coming.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
What is the reason for this?

I am glad I was there recently before this goes into effect.

When I visit a place, I want to spend as much time or as little time there as I want to.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allset2travel
What is the reason for this?

I am glad I was there recently before this goes into effect.

When I visit a place, I want to spend as much time or as little time there as I want to.
I believe it was pressure from UNESCO to do some other activities to preserve the site. I guess some visitors would wander off into restricted areas. Personally, I can't believe that it was that bad of a problem. Also, people keep getting naked while visiting.

I agree with you. I can't imagine visiting a place like MP and having a guide, or a group of tourists I've been clustered with, talking in my ear.

Here is a link to the article:
http://www.peruviantimes.com/tag/machu-picchu/
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Direct link to the article:
http://www.peruviantimes.com/12/dras...-picchu/21727/
Old Mar 24, 2014, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
It seems to me it's all about the $. When I was there it was crowded but most people seemed to be following the rules.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 2:42 pm

Has this went into effect yet?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KiwiQ2002
Has this went into effect yet?
I don't believe it has. I'm hoping whatever decisions they decide to implement, they will do it on South American time.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:02 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
This is quite disappointing. Hopefully by the time I get enough money to go to Peru, it wont be commercialized and disappointing.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 4:20 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Well, it is already commercialized, but I suspect it will never be disappointing.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SuperDudley
I believe it was pressure from UNESCO to do some other activities to preserve the site. I guess some visitors would wander off into restricted areas. Personally, I can't believe that it was that bad of a problem. Also, people keep getting naked while visiting.
How is it that I missed the naked people when I was there?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

No word on the official guides but it looks like they are changing the visiting hours. A total of 5,000 people will be allowed per day. The first group is from 8:00-1:00 and the second group 1:00-8:00.
http://www.peruthisweek.com/news-new...s-daily-103368

Also I read they are building a big airport at Chinchero (sp?) that will handle a few million more visitors a year. Currently, CUZ handles about 2M.

OskiBear - If you do a search, you can see pics. I will warn you, you are doing yourself a favor by not looking
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Allowing twice as many people stomping around Machu Picchu will do nothing to preserve it. In fact, it most likely will hasten the slow sagging of the plateau by the shear amount of weight placed on it with the end result total collapse.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Allowing twice as many people stomping around Machu Picchu will do nothing to preserve it. In fact, it most likely will hasten the slow sagging of the plateau by the shear amount of weight placed on it with the end result total collapse.
UNESCO has to be pretty upset with the news. They were really pushing to limit the number of visitors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.