Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Peru
Reload this Page >

"Safe" cabs in Lima?

"Safe" cabs in Lima?

Old Feb 28, 2014, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Here's a video of what it's like when you walk past immigration and head out of the airport.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb5Cn1sSLOI
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
The above is for international arrivals. Here is a video of domestic arrivals:

being bothered by taxi drivers at Lima airport
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daL3RQIZQqc

and 2 others

mother being bothered
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhKS1hwcDQI

driving them back with a billy club
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyVUhQjiL0o
Old Mar 1, 2014, 6:41 am

Authorized taxis at LIM? Hmm. LAP (LIM Airport Partners) is paid by Taxi Verde to authorize them to have a counter inside the airport (only a counter, not to wander the airport harassing pax). Otherwise Taxi Verde is no different, and no safer, than any other licenced taxi company in Lima. They just pay to be inside the airport (and hence cost more). Equally, the taxi drivers in brown shirts just outside waving their placard in your face are authorized to be there as well. They are authorized by District of Callao. They are supposed to stay on the other side of the first road (which is Callao, not LIM), but often do not. Taxi Verde wants its monopoly inside the airport, Callao taxis want their monopoly just outside the airport doors. Beyond these two rings are more taxi drivers, they may well be part of a legitimate licenced taxi company, but just not authorized to be inside or close to the door, maybe they just dropped off a pax and want a return fare. Here also you will find the pirate drivers, but they are pushed back some imaginary distance so as not to compete with Callao drivers. This distance is about 8 metres at domestic arrivals and the other side of the internal road at international arrivals.

Taxi Verde will say use them because they are safe, which is not demonstratively true, they only pay to be authorized to harass you inside the airport. LIM makes no guarantees of safety by authorizing them. They are no safer than the Callao taxis who are authorized to harass you outside the airport doors and who will tell you they are safer then taxis on the street. But, of course, they are no safer than any licenced taxi company on the street.

On the street outside the airport, any and all taxi drivers can be found, but the police try to enforce a no stopping zone on Av Faucett. They do this by ensuring taxi drivers have a Callao licence (Callao forces any taxi driver using Callao streets to attend a special training course and have papers to prove it.)

To get to the airport you will find some drivers refuse because they do not have the Callao papers mentioned above. Some will take you to outside the airport because they do not have the correct papers and know that when entering the airport there is a police stop checking papers.

Little did you know the complexities of the pecking order of taxis at LIM and the microcosm it represents! But none of the above is enforceable. More like a gentleman's agreement. Although the police wander around blowing their whistles and driving the taxi drivers back to the pecking order, the drivers just ignore them if there is even a semi-interested prey nearby. This is because most of the drivers work for someone else who owns the taxi. The police know that giving a ticket to the driver who is not the owner will not be enforceable, but the drivers showing respect will move back a few steps when the police whistle at them, then move forward when he wanders away. The only exception is when the police boss arrives, then everyone immediately moves to the correct spot. I think again in respect to the poor schmuck foot patrol policeman with whom they interact with daily and who allows them some latitude they don't want him into get into trouble with the boss.

Regardless, taxi drivers in Peru believe they have a divine right to harass thousands of people anytime anywhere daily. They will claim they are just offering a service or, if pushed deeper, just trying to feed their families. Peruvians seem to grudgingly accept this, but, if pushed deeper, they too will admit they do not like being harassed by taxi drivers.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta FO
LOL, great writeup!

I would like to point out that as a culture, the Peruvians are really not that pushy or aggressive. I've seen far, far worse in other parts of the world. Overall, traveling thru Peru, I was very impressed at their politeness, even when hawking all manner of products and services.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Regardless, taxi drivers in Peru believe they have a divine right to harass thousands of people anytime anywhere daily. They will claim they are just offering a service or, if pushed deeper, just trying to feed their families. Peruvians seem to grudgingly accept this, but, if pushed deeper, they too will admit they do not like being harassed by taxi drivers.
Most of them are doing just that: trying to feed their families. And it ain't easy, on the pittance that most of them earn. Street cab fares may be sufficient to (barely) provide for a family but they aren't enough to pay for maintenance and upkeep of the taxi itself, which explains why so many of them are in such poor shape.

That "divine right" is really nothing more than quiet desperation.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:47 am

Programs: AF FB Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by SammySpade
You can download an app called easy taxi and order a taxi through there so everything is registered. The app will show you a pic of the driver and his plate number. I don't personally use it but a friend does and the taxis always arrive within a couple minutes and normally won't cost more than 2-3 soles extra.

If I get a taxi off the street for a visiting friend/family member going to the airport, I let the driver see me taking a pic of the plate with my phone. I do it sometimes too late at night if a girl is getting into a taxi solo.

Occasionally there is a problem with lima taxis, but its not that common and the danger is exaggerated.
I tried the service on several occasions, and have to say it's pretty efficient - often got a taxi very fast, and I certainly appreciate the features adding to security: picture of the driver, plate, gps etc. I haven't tried them to/from the airport as I'm generally picked up by family, but they are probably the ones I would choose if I needed so.

A competitor (though the app is less "impressive") is satelital, which can also be called from a smartphone quite quickly.

On the rest, from my experience (I'm peruvian, but definitely do not look like one), i'd agree with what most people said: it's fine to take street taxis IF you know the way, IF you can communicate with them, and IF you know the precautions needed. I'd add that taking a taxi close to rough neighborhoods (callao being one of them) adds a bit of danger.

Finally, i'd add that, in recent years, both the efficiency (read: how fast they come when you call them) and the price of company taxis have improved; meaning that, while I used to take a lot of street taxis for convenience, I've done it a lot less in recent years.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: AA PLT
I used Easy Taxi a few times in Lima, and it was pretty straightforward. The drivers have a book provided by the company that has fixed prices in it, so no haggling necessary if you don't speak Spanish. I would agree that it seemed like you paid 2-3 soles extra, but the cars were generally nicer than the few times we hailed a cab off the street.

Also, walking around Cuzco last night I saw a poster for Peruvian Shuttle. I have no experience with them, but their rates to Miraflores and San Isidro looked to be similar to Taxi Verde's walkup rates, and it might be slightly less time-consuming to pre-book instead of wait in line at the airport.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by linglingfool
Also, walking around Cuzco last night I saw a poster for Peruvian Shuttle. I have no experience with them, but their rates to Miraflores and San Isidro looked to be similar to Taxi Verde's walkup rates, and it might be slightly less time-consuming to pre-book instead of wait in line at the airport.
Did you mean Lima?
Old Apr 6, 2014, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Did you mean Lima?
Nope, was hanging among a bunch of posters outside a travel agency on Calle Plateros.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:32 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I've taken many taxis in Peru (mainly Lima) with VERY limited Spanish and English as my second language and never had any problem hailing from the street.

As in most countries it's certainly better to know in advance how much the ride should approximately cost and confirm before the run starts.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 11:24 am

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but adding my two cents. I just took Taxi Green from the airport - their desk is right after baggage claims when you exit the area (avoid the ones next to the car rental desks).

To Miraflores, the cost was S.50. The car was clean, the driver was a safe driver, so it was a good ride.

With any taxi driver worldwide, there might be rogue ones so there is always the risk of getting robbed.

One alternative is maybe to take an Uber, if you can get roaming data on your phone. There is Uber in Lima, and with something like Uber, if you ever get robbed or have issues, at least Uber has a track of who the driver was.

Around Lima, I have taken Uber as well as gotten my hotel/restaurant/museum to call EasyTaxi, which is like their local version of Uber. You have to pay in cash though, but the fare is sort-of fixed in advance. The cars have all been very clean, and they drive much safer than the crazy official taxi drivers in Lima, and cheaper too.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We have a trip planned for April next year and lots of folks recommended Easy Taxi. Unfortunately the app will not download as "It is not available in your country". I see that Canada is not available but strange that it will not let me download for when we travel. I'll try again when we're next in the US and see if I have better luck.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
I've used taxidatum.com a few times for airport arrival to Miraflores and found them to be very clean and reliable. I'd certainly use them again.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:12 am

By far, the most popular for locals (judging by the number of folks holding up signs at the airport) is Satelitel. Also recommended on the local forums.

http://3555555satelital.com/
Old Dec 25, 2015, 9:18 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, AmEx Plat
I would personally suggest using Uber in Lima. Works perfectly, and rates are not bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.