Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re Sacred Valley markets, including Urubamba

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question Questions re Sacred Valley markets, including Urubamba

My wife and I are finalizing our September visit to the Sacred Valley. I have a few questions:

1. We will be staying in Urubamba for about six days, but are not yet sure whether they will include a Wednesday, which I understand is market day in Urubamba. Is market day there interesting and/or fun enough that it is worth trying to be there that day?
2. I understand that Friday and Sunday are also market days. Might going to those instead of Wednesday be fine?
3. About what time does the market get going and close down?
4. Given that Urubamba is not a tourist town (except for the many hotels nearby), does the market have handicrafts or is just products such as food for the local population?
5. Are there other markets in the Sacred Valley that are more worthwhile to visit than Urubamba, and that we should make an effort to visit in addition to and/or instead of Urubamba?

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 26, 2013, 4:19 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
I don't know the Urubamba market, but the most wellknown one is the Sunday market in Pisac, which is worthwile to go and where you will find handicrafts.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:54 pm

The shopping in Urubamba is definitely geared towards the locals and not so much the tourists. If you're looking for handicrafts, I second Pisac. We stayed in the outskirts of Urubamba and basically headed to the bus terminal everyday to go around the Sacred Valley. Not really much to do in Urubamba.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Good to know, folks. Thanks!

And banjo13, welcome to FT!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 6:20 am
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
You will find market every day in Pisac, but Sunday is the highlight, more stands, handicraft, countrymen selling their nature products, etc
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:43 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Villavic
You will find market every day in Pisac, but Sunday is the highlight, more stands, handicraft, countrymen selling their nature products, etc
Just after lunch Pisac fills up with busloads of tourists from Cusco. I'd go late morning to avoid them then do las ruinas in the afternoon
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Villavic
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Just after lunch Pisac fills up with busloads of tourists from Cusco. I'd go late morning to avoid them then do las ruinas in the afternoon
Good advice on both counts. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.