Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the minimum transfer time at LIM from int'l to domestic

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2013, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

I am thinking to purchase an ticket with 100 mintues at LIM from intl'l to domestic (Cusco) transfer time. The arrival time is at around 7:50 am. Is it enough?

There are plenty of 2, 3, 4 hrs transfter time for the destination, but I just want to take the earlier one to the destination.

In addition, people mentioned flights delayed due to fog. Is it at Lima or at Cusco? How bad is it in Nov-Dec time? Thanks.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 1:57 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
If you purchase a single ticket to Cuzco, 100 minutes should be enough. LAN has 10+ daily flights to Cuzco so I wouldn't worry about the missing connection. In the worst case you will arrive 2-3 hours later to Cuzco.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
We had the 'ole 0030 LIM arrival and 0500 departure to CUS on 3 June. I dunno about 0700 in morning but it would have been no problem processing customs, exiting secure area (and building--go out and 200' left o reenter), checking in anew (LAN has elite/priority checkin line), and going back through security (even making Mickey Dees or Dunkin' stops on the way) in 60 minutes, giving a bit of breathing room.

Lima has a single runway: if foggy and capacity constrained I would expect some holding and delays--looking at 30 arrivals per hour under peak instrument conditions. Current weather there at 0715 this morning (same time as Chicago) has a 1500' overcast and good visibility...not too bad and probably not holding; CATII ILS will get most air carriers in except under the thickest fog that drops viz to ~ 1/4 mile or less. unless landing north as it appears all precision approaches are for rwy 15. If winds > 10-15 kts out of NW, I'd expect problems since I don't see a current approach to that runway though I found one published 10 years ago--nonprecision only. Spoke to pilots leaving CUS on 7 June regarding more technical aspects of operating into the airport, but it is essentially a good weather airport only with approach minimums to either runway being 3800' above ground clouds and 5 miles visibility--day ops only. If its foggy or even has a ceiling a few thousand feet above ground (or forecast to be so) I would expect holding or even gate-hold/cnx in LIM (probably one reason there are so many LIMCUS flights daily). Even the published departures have pilots climbing VFR thru 14,500' before transitioning 'inside'.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 1:27 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
CaptRobPhD, Lima airport was upgraded to CAT III last year. As a result, I would't worry about the weather in Lima. However, delays and cancellations due to weather in Cuzco are quite common.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
CaptRobPhD, nice post. Must be fun to fly Peru from a pilot's eye! As Miikkak says, CATIII. But a fun pilot fact is that sometimes the metal ships offshore “warp” the line and they have to adjust it. Like the ORD rail lines.

Cusco has that many flights because of demand, not backup, in fact they increase to 17 daily during peak season. Interestingly, generally LP schedules all their metal to be fully utilized daily except one on 1/2 service for IRROPS.

Miikkak, I was delayed the other day for PIU-LIM. Makes no sense with CATIII, so I asked. Seems not all airlines using LIM are ready for CATIII so they can cause a slight backup.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive

Couldn't link to CATIII but will check out 'plate' tomorrow. Even though most operators can fly CATIIs (probably 2/3 here in States), a smaller percentage are authorized and train for CatIII (most Flag carriers I'd assume) approaches. Capacity really becomes and issue when visibility drops to 1/8 mile-ish. That visibility generally won't affect takeoffs from major airports.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.