Wiki Posts
Search

Peruvian Amazon

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 1:48 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by fastair
In Iquitos, I found that walking the few blocks around the Plaza de Armas for tour agencies will get you a far better price on short notice than booking in advance, as they are trying to make their "thin" bookings profitable or break even. .
YES!! But be careful with informal tour guides that take you thru "peque peque" and not telling it won't be a speed boat, or details like that. There are also those who take you to fake Boras communities (well, there is no "genuine" tribes around the city but at least they may show you their traditions, dances, but some of them are really, really a big fake.

Anyway Iquitos is a great place to enjoy if you take care of the usual precautions. I'm flying tonight!!! For the SAN JUAN HOLIDAY!!!
Ben dozen times in Iquitos, first time for the Fiesta de San Juan

I'll report about the Caral Vip Lounge of the Iquitos airport, too.

Fiesta Patronal San Juan 2013
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:01 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by Villavic
YES!! But be careful with informal tour guides that take you thru "peque peque" and not telling it won't be a speed boat, or details like that. There are also those who take you to fake Boras communities (well, there is no "genuine" tribes around the city but at least they may show you their traditions, dances, but some of them are really, really a big fake.

Anyway Iquitos is a great place to enjoy if you take care of the usual precautions. I'm flying tonight!!! For the SAN JUAN HOLIDAY!!!

There for San Juan day so hence you will be eating juanes, enjoy.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 7:23 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by Villavic

Yea, last year I used flycatcher tours (I know of that single incident years back with the American girl being raped when she returned to town, but there was no sign of impropriety last Apr.) Heading back in 4 hours. Really tried to get otorongo to come down on their prices to be competitive, but they barely moved on their initial price, cutting and pasting the same reasons "we are ecologicaly friendly, are the only lodge downstream, we pay our guides more, have a tiny profit margin..." at each attempt to negotiate a win/win situation.

With the $$ being about 10% stronger than last Apr versus the sol, I hope I'm able to get as good a deal as I did last year.
Old Oct 2, 2013, 1:31 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Did even better this year than last. Was able to secure upriver lodge with the subsiduary of Flycatcher tours for $42/day/pp (trasnport there/back/around while there, lodging 3 meals/day, tour guide for me and friend) at the Renaco lodge for 6 days. Last year I paid $52/day (although I booked alone, the cabin was still double occupancy.) http://www.myamazontours.com/
Old May 26, 2015, 6:06 pm

Another article about Manu
http://www.peruthisweek.com/travel-b...ay-lick-106137
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Amazon river cruise in April

Would April be a good time for a river cruise starting from Iquitos? I have been doing some research and this would be peak of wet season. I understand there can be mosquitoes and bugs but doing land based excursions in torrential pour would be less than desirable.

Appreciate the help!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Would April be a good time for a river cruise starting from Iquitos? I have been doing some research and this would be peak of wet season. I understand there can be mosquitoes and bugs but doing land based excursions in torrential pour would be less than desirable.

Appreciate the help!
In Iquitos, as far as I know there is never much of a dry season. It's either wet or wetter. So whenever you choose to go, you should be prepared for rain, and you can expect bugs all year round. But the Amazon river is impressive in size even that far from the Atlantic, so I'd say go for it.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando
In Iquitos, as far as I know there is never much of a dry season. It's either wet or wetter. So whenever you choose to go, you should be prepared for rain, and you can expect bugs all year round. But the Amazon river is impressive in size even that far from the Atlantic, so I'd say go for it.
That's right. Even thought they tipically define the rain season from december to april aprox, you should be prepared for rain the whole year, even for heavy rain, storms, etc.

The main difference between summer and winter is the water level at rivers. Since all amazonic rivers begin at the Andes, and there is an actual rainy season in summer at the mountains (dec-apr), water level is considerably higher in the jungle, rivers are wider. So, if there are some beaches at rivers, they disappear during summer. But I wouldn't those beaches as a decision factor to choose when to go to the jungle. There are nice beaches though not extraordinary beautiful, or at least those I knew.

Last edited by Villavic; Feb 6, 2020 at 11:41 am
Old Feb 6, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
So what should one expect (and prepare) for a river cruise in April? I can't imagine jungle tours being too pleasant in torrential downpour.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
So what should one expect (and prepare) for a river cruise in April? I can't imagine jungle tours being too pleasant in torrential downpour.
Unpredictable. I've been in Iquitos on new year's eve, and march weekends. No long storms, just heavy but short (time) rains. Storms can may happen any time of the year. But I've read sometins there are heavy rains the whole afternoon.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 8:56 am

Iquitos

I recommend Iquitos, one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen. It is only accessible by water or air. There are direct flights from Lima. From Iquitos you can make excursions into the Peruvian Amazon with overnight stays, etc.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by frankcoton
We had a great time at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica, on our trip to Peru in May. We considered other areas Manu etc but decided on Inkaterra because it was pretty easy to get to. Short 45 min flight from CUZ-PEM and then an hour by boat up river to the lodge.

We also had an excellent experience at Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica. I agree with frankcoton's feedback: (relatively) easy to get to, good touring experiences, great food, excellent guides and service. I would definitely recommend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.