Wiki Posts
Search

First time international flight, Germany to Peru - many questions :(

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

First time international flight, Germany to Peru - many questions :(

Hey, lovely people out there!

I've finally decided to write a post. I've been going back and forth on deciding whether or not I should do that and now... I'm just pulling through with it. Ha! Sorry for any written mistakes, English is not my first language.

Given that my flight from Germany over Madrid over Lima to Arequipa is due in a freaking week and I am experiencing major anxiety/excitement/sheer panic particularly at night, there are a few things I'd like to go into.

So, I'm female, 19 years old and apart from going to London or Spain by plane, I never embarked on an international flight on my own. I'll be going to Peru to travel which isn't my concern right now at all. I'm mainly worrying about how I'll get to Peru in the first place.

Some questions I have and would love to get some answers on:

- My carry-on will be my daypack (including my laptop) and my luggage will consist of my trekking backpack. I've sorted out all the allowances concerning weight, so that's not a problem. I'll be putting my backpack into a separate trekking coat for safety reasons. That coat is striking in colour, thus stands out a lot (which will hopefully help me at finding it quickly) and is also supposed to prevent my backpack from getting dirty etc. I'm just wondering, is this okay? As stated above, I know how much both my carry-on with a laptop and my backpack may weigh and that's fine... I'm just. Well. Nervous. About everything. Can you tell already?

- I've researched this via Google already and am also willing to call my travel agency buuut I wanted to get your thoughts on this as well if you'd like to: Imagine that my full name would be Noxia Miller. On my e-ticket it says, "Passenger Name: MILLER, NOXIAMRS". I'm aware that MRS is... well Mrs. But my name is not Noxiamrs, my name is Noxia (as printed in my passport). Will I have problems because of this? :/

- Can somebody tell me a bit about the immigration process at the airport of Lima where I'll receive my tourist visa? Will I have to present myself in Spanish? What am I going to be asked? I'm sorry to ask so many questions. I'd just love to be as highly prepared as possible. So any and all experience, I'd love to hear about it!

- I'll be arriving in Lima at 07:20 am and departing for Arequipa at 10:50 am. Will this be enough time to get to the domestic departs in order to catch my flight to Arequipa? And I'll surely have to get my luggage in Lima and check it in again, right?

- Uhm. I'M SO NERVOUS.

Sorry. It's just that I feel like a very, very, very small person just entering this very, very, very big world. If you have anything to spill about flying to Peru/Arequipa (from Europe), please do so. Any and all experience.

Thanks for reading through this and also thanks in advance for anyone who'd like to reply. Thank you!

Noxia
Old Nov 9, 2011, 12:01 pm

NOXIA

Hellow noxia.

Well, first of all welcome to peru, iīm tania from cusco and i saw your questions and i would like to help you in some questions

about your flight ticket don not worry, the airlines arenīt so strict.
About the inmigration office is enought in english

and will you arrive to cusco, and when? May be i can help you also for cusco

we are located one block to the main square in case that you want more details about peru or some tours

we are andespath peru consult tourism
Old Nov 10, 2011, 6:26 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
1) as long as your trecking coat does not fall apart from your backpack, I don't see a problem, but be aware, that it might get dammaged; that's why you put normally all your belongings within a bag.

2) no problem, that's common practice

3) immigration in Lima is efficient and painless, don't worry. I don't know your nationality, but Europeans don't need a visa for Peru. You have to fill out a landing card, which you'll get from the plan crew where you have to put passport info as well as your adress in Peru. If you don't have an adress just put any hotel, they don't check (you also have to fill out a customs form). Not sure about language as I do speak Spanish, but if you are asked something at all, I'd guess it's basic and can be in English.

4) at that time in the morning, immigration shouldn't be a big problem, however try to get out of your plane fast. If you get to immigration behind the other 300 people from your plane, it can take maybe half an hour more. Luggage has to pass customs in Lima (you have to press a button and if green you just walk ahead, if red your luggage is x-rayed and then you walk ahead) and then recheck (not sure if there is a special area for recheck or if you have to go to the check-in area for your connecting airline. Anyway 3.5 hours is more than sufficient as long as your incoming flight is not heavily delayed.

Don't worry and enjoy beautiful Peru.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you so, so much!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat
Immigration in Lima - you will queue for maybe 30 minutes, say hello to the immigration officer and that's about it. Spanish is nice of course, but not necessary. After that you'll enter the baggage claim hall. ATMs are available here if you'd like to get some soles. Also some cash exchanges, but personally I think the ATMs are a better route. You'll get your luggage and then go through an exit screening where you will get a green light (walk through) or red light (open your luggage). Very painless. You'll then enter the public area where you can check in (and check luggage) for your next flight. Certainly safe to step outside if you'd like some fresh air. There's a bunch of restaurants on the landside there before you go through security. You'll have plenty of time.

Your arrival in Areiquipa will be similarly easy. You'll enjoy a brief walk on the tarmac from plane to terminal, find your luggage and step outside. Some taxi drivers will surely be waiting and will be happy to assist you.

Enjoy your time...Arequipa is a nice town!

I think there will be nothing to worry about. Just relax and have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.