Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Nice Lodging with direct access to rooms (cottages, motel-like, etc)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2020, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis

Thinking about doing a family road trip to Oregon and possibly lower Washington (from SoCal) in August. We are 2 adults and 2 boys 10 and 4.

Earlier this year I stayed at the Inn at Rancho Sante Fe in the San Diego area, and was in a huge one-bedroom cottage that you could park your car in front of and walk right in the door. And we have a bunch of similar historic inns around California that I have stayed at in the past (single floor, cottage styles rooms). While not absolutely required for places we stay on this trip, would be great of we can avoid elevators and indoor hallways. A cottage/room like the one I had at the Inn at Rancho Santa Fee would be perfect.

Wondering if there are similar properties folks recommend along the Oregon Coast and then in places like Bend and Ashland? Found this listing of historic inns and hotels which seems to be a good start. A few I am considering so far include the Tu Tu Tun Lodge near Golden Beach and possibly the Headlands Coastal Lodge in Pacific City.
Old Sep 2, 2020, 5:41 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
We just spent 3 nights at the Tu' un Tun Lodge and it is a gorgeous place. We were in a second floor fireplace room and can't recommend it enough. Top quality furnishings and attentive helpful staff. Quiet, peaceful location overlooking the Rogue River.

We are staying tomorrow night at the Ashland Creek Inn (which is what I found from a friend while looking for the same thing that you are). Looks lovely and can report back!
Old Sep 12, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
The Ashland Creek Inn was incredibly beautiful. One of the nicest places we have ever stayed. Highly recommended.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by mstraveler
The Ashland Creek Inn was incredibly beautiful. One of the nicest places we have ever stayed. Highly recommended.
Looks like there may be fires threatening that area.....? Hope it remains unscathed.
Old Sep 12, 2020, 11:19 pm

I was supposed to be on the flight to EUG last wednesday. It got cancelled 20 min before departure -- the poor visibility and the particulates from smoke made it too dangerous to fly. Thanks to the advice from a Delta "Problem Resolution" team, I decided to abandon my recreation plans in OR, and head back home to the East coast. Turns out that the DL agent was spot-on. Unless you have some business to be in Oregon, it's won't be a good time to visit there for the next few weeks.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
We were very fortunate and had an amazing 25 day trip up the CA and Oregon coasts, across the Columbia Gorge, and then down through the mountains from late July to mid-August. Oregon was always on my travel list – but it should have been higher. The whole state – but especially the coast – was one scenic view after another.

Before going I did not realize how much of Oregon was covered by National Forests and other national lands (i.e. the first national grassland I have even driven through). There were frequent fire condition and prevention warnings on the radio and we saw lots of US Forestry fire teams out and about, ready if needed. At one ranger station a fire squad turned on their lights for my kids. And since they love Plans Fire and Rescue we drove around the Redmond Air Center on our way into Bend. Hope they are all staying safe.

We were very lucky to be there before the fires and had great weather. And since it seems like we were also able to avoid COVID, will update on the places we stayed. It up being a mix of hotels and rented houses to minimize our interaction with other people.

In Santa Cruz we stayed at Hotel Paradox (Marriott Autograph Collection). All their rooms (on all 5 floors) open to the outside, and even the stairs are open air. Unfortunately no connecting rooms on the first floor, but it was a great location for Santa Cruz and we were even able to use the pool while maintaining safe distance from everyone else (and got a good workout going up and down the stairs to start the trip).

In Mendocino we rented a vacation house that is part of the Heritage House Resort and Spa. Really liked our house and the property grounds were nice. Loved the Mendocino area.

From there we drove over 3 days with stops in Eureka and Bandon on our way to Lincoln City. Originally it was going to be two nights somewhere around Gold Beach, as my guide for this trip was 4-5 hours per day of driving and no back to back driving days (i.e. 2 day min stay each place). But for all the great options for direct entry (or even stand alone) lodging in that area that I asked my original question about – Tu Tu Tun, the Treehouse at Taylor Creek Lodge, the Wildspring Guest Habitat in Port Orxford – none of them allow young children. So that plus some itinerary guidance on the Tripadvisor Oregon forum created a couple one-night stays (and that actually worked out well for seeing the Redwoods and other stuff on our route).

In Eureka we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express & Suites Arcata. Not direct entry, but read good reviews of how they were handling COVID and called ahead to validate – got comfortable that we could do a night there. They gave us connecting rooms as close to the entrance as they could.

In Bandon we stayed at a place called Windermere on the Beach. I wanted to stay in at least one night in a real coastal cottage kind of place - this fit the bill. I wish we had stayed longer in Bandon – the beach and area was much nicer than expected. And while not the most modern place, Windermere was clean, had direct entry and a two-level family room, and most importantly was right on the dunes overlooking the water. Amazing sunset, could hear ocean waves all night long, and easy access to the beach the next day before we left.

In Lincoln City and then Seaside we ended up renting a house for 3 nights at each place. I did find a few options like the Cannon Beach Hotel that would have met my desire for direct entry, but the houses worked out better. We loved the house we rented in the Olivia Beach community of Lincoln City -- if we lived closer we might rent there every year.

In Portland found an old-style Residence Inn – the ones where the rooms are in different buildings and all rooms enter from outside - near Lake Oswego.

In Hood River we rented a townhouse.

In Bend I almost rented a house at Tetherow or Pronghorn, but for only 1 day/2 nights did not think we would take advantage of it enough to justify the cost (unlike the other houses we had for 3 nights). Ended up getting a two-bedroom room at the Hilton Garden Inn and arranged to be close to the entrance. Did not have to be in a long hallway, and there was a side door that let us avoid the main lobby (where they were doing indoor dining). But we did have to pass by the main elevators which was usually busy.

In Ashland we stayed at the Winchester Inn. They have a separate two bedroom called the Enders Suite across the alley from the main hotel – completely separate and direct entry. It was also very nice.

Sacramento – just one night – found another Residence Inn that worked for us (Sacramento - Cal Expo).

And then finally we rented a house via AirBnB in Three Rivers, CA.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 5:00 pm

dbuckho, so glad you had a lovely trip. We also stayed at the Windermere in Bandon and appreciated it very much. We were in room #19 and had amazing dune and coastal views.

Our stay at Ashland Creek in was entirely contactless and the rooms are entered from the street. It was truly one of the nicest places we have stayed ever, and we have been all over the world. Quiet, peaceful, on a babbling creek and quality that can't be beat - for any future Ashland travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.