Seattle Snowpocalypse Feb 8-12 2019 Megathread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seattle Snowpocalypse Feb 8-12 2019 Megathread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by david55
Here on Bainbridge it is eerily quiet this morning. Probably about 4-5" where we live ( near the Sound). The problem with this snow is that it is wet and HEAVY. branches and small trees are bent over double and the continued snow fall is not helping.
Same story here in Seattle - very wet, heavy snow on all the plants. Great if you want to build a snowman, not so good for the vegetation. It’s a good thing we haven’t been contending with much wind yet, or else power outages would be a lot more widespread.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
It wasn’t that bad

My outbound morning flight to SEA was only delayed a half hour due to ATC.

A lot of the stores downtown.were closed.

The return flight to SAN suffered a creeping five hour delay from 3:30 to 8:30p. It was a combination of late arrival of in-bound aircraft plus some FA’s timing out.

Would have been OK if I had known it in advance, but no, not how these things work. Al least Cloudburst Brewing was awwsome.
BenA likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bowgie
My outbound morning flight to SEA was only delayed a half hour due to ATC.

A lot of the stores downtown.were closed.

The return flight to SAN suffered a creeping five hour delay from 3:30 to 8:30p. It was a combination of late arrival of in-bound aircraft plus some FA’s timing out.

Would have been OK if I had known it in advance, but no, not how these things work. Al least Cloudburst Brewing was awwsome.
Glad you made it up here and had a good time, at least, even if the return was a mess of cascading delays! Seattle in the snow is a gorgeous sight, as long as you aren’t trying to drive anywhere or navigate any hills that are too serious
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Delta has now extended the weather waiver through tomorrow (Monday). Unfortunately, not yet including Tuesday, which looks like the worst travel day over the next few days, but it’s a start. Seems like the mornings are going to be better than evenings, judging by the current forecasts, so switching to an earlier flight may improve your chances of getting in or out.

Today, we’re predicted to get 1-3” in the late evening... should be a relative respite between Friday/Saturday’s storm and the next one hitting Monday night, with just a small additional accumulation.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:12 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by BenA
Delta has now extended the weather waiver through tomorrow (Monday). Unfortunately, not yet including Tuesday, which looks like the worst travel day over the next few days, but it’s a start. Seems like the mornings are going to be better than evenings, judging by the current forecasts, so switching to an earlier flight may improve your chances of getting in or out.

Today, we’re predicted to get 1-3” in the late evening... should be a relative respite between Friday/Saturday’s storm and the next one hitting Monday night, with just a small additional accumulation.
I think it depends on which weather app you use. ( I love dark Sky) They are calling for up to 7 new inches between Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning. Here on Bainbridge we got nearly a foot and no melt yesterday.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Well, here we are on Monday afternoon, and it's a mixed report: we got the predicted 1-3" yesterday, but today's is fizzling with some warmer air getting mixed in. Sounds like we'll get mostly rain over the next 24 hours, with it turning everything into a slushy mess rather than huge snowdrifts as originally predicted.

FWIW, though, Delta did extend the weather waiver through tomorrow as of a few minutes ago, so if you've been waiting to make a chance, now's your chance. Keep in mind when planning alternate flights that the remnants of the previous systems are headed for the northeast, so routing via DTW or MSP is probably not your best move given that both are under waivers of their own for tomorrow. (In the words of a Diamond agent, when I informed her of the waiver... "oh, so *that's* why they are offering overtime for tomorrow" )

There's still some forecast uncertainty and a difference of a few degrees would change all this moisture back to snow, so hold onto your hats; this isn't quite over yet, although the end is finally in sight.

I do have to say that Seattle has done a better job responding to this than expected. The city is certainly shut down, but unlike previous storms, the arterials have become passable within a reasonable period after each snow event stops. It's dramatically better than, say, the last major storm in 2008. The airlines have also continued to be proactive about regional cancellations, making mainline flights a bit more dependable...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:50 pm

I was a it more optimistic that the worse was over...... until about 10 minutes ago. It is really snowing heavily here on Bainbridge and sticking.... which it wasn't a bit ago, but perhaps we are in a " cooler" zone?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Well, things took a turn for the worse this afternoon, at least from my perspective. The snow has stuck around for hours less than predicted, which has caused tons of power outages as overloaded trees have started to take out power lines. Sea-Tac has also appeared to have its worst day of the storm so far, with several diversions of inbound flights this evening to PDX (and several more sneaking in between gaps in the weather.)

We’ve seen the switch over to rain in many places, so with any luck tomorrow will be better, but even if that’s true the cascade effects from today (combined with the weather in DTW/MSP) are going to make the misery factor pretty high for air travel on Tuesday.

Stay safe out there, folks...
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:22 pm

To add... here on Bainbridge we got upwards of another 8-10" before it turned to rain around 7PM. Now I am reading about trees down all over the island from the weight of snow including a blocked 305 ( main highway). We are hearing branches snap and large patches of snow come off the roof.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

NE Seattle is basically now all slush pools with the arrival of the rain as well. Overall very little traffic in the neighborhood, but we're also one of the areas that didn't see much in the way of snowplows (only the two or three roads where snow and emergency bus routes are operating).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.