Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Pacific Northwest
Reload this Page >

Are there any sightseeing flights of Alaska that depart and return from Seattle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there any sightseeing flights of Alaska that depart and return from Seattle?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2018, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Delta Platinum, Alaska MVP, United Silver, Hilton Silver,

I have gone to Seattle before and it was a blast! My dad has never gone so I want to meet him in Seattle during my first fall break of college. My last day of class before break is Thursday October 11th and I need to be back by Wednesday October 16th. I will be flying out of MCI and my dad will be flying out of ORD or MDW (probably ORD). My dad's birthday is in November so instead of going home over fall break if I'm gonna fly somewhere might as well do this instead of flying back home. Anyway, I don't know if this is possible but I would love to fit Alaska into this trip if at all possible.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:46 am
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
If you mean are there any "flightseeing" trips that depart Seattle, fly to Alaska, then back, as opposed to commercial flights, then the answer is no. It's much too far for light planes to do day trips.

However, with just a few days it's entirely possible to fly to Alaska, spend a couple of days on the ground, and fly back. You could, for example, fly to Anchorage (3 hours from Seattle, 5 from Chicago) and spend a couple of days exploring the area - flightseeing trip to Denali or over various glaciers, drive down Turnagain Arm for spectacular scenery, ride the gondola up the side of a mountain at the Alyeska ski resort...

Mid-October is past the tourist season in Alaska and prices will be much lower; however autumn is very brief and early in Alaska and while sticking snow isn't likely it IS possible.

One other thought to consider - you and he could rendezvous in Bellingham, Washington (accessible through BLI airport or 90 min. north of Seattle) on Friday the 12th and take the Alaska State Ferry that departs that evening. It travels through the beautiful Inside Passage over the weekend, stopping in Ketchikan, Wrangell and Petersburg, and arrives in Juneau early Monday morning. You could spend Monday and part of Tuesday in Juneau (lots of history, Mendenhall Glacier etc.) then fly back to Seattle on Tuesday (a couple of flights available.) The ferry in the off-season is fabulous. Alaska State Ferry | Alaska Marine Highway System (Note the ferry system hasn't yet published the full October schedule yet, but will shortly. Timing for the Bellingham - Juneau run doesn't change as a rule.)
BearX220, SanDiego1K and EmailKid like this.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

There are. It's called a private jet. You know we have this global warming thing going on, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.