Search

12MAY Portland Layover

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 4:45 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

12MAY Portland Layover

As hinted at above, I have a 12-hour layover in Portland on 12MAY, from roughly 10AM to 10PM.

As much as I think getting some sleep would be welcome, negotiating a day rate with hotels doesn't seem likely (have already emailed a number of places).

Two thoughts come to mind--

1) Try to meet up with a local, and check out the city (it has been seven years since the first visit).
2) Take a day trip somewhere (will be too tired to rent a car).

Sometime during the day, getting some hazelnuts/dried unsweetened berries might be nice.

Appreciate any suggestions,
BmB
Old May 10, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA, NW
Take the MAX into downtown, check out Powell's Books, fortify yourself at some of the ubiquitous coffee shops, have lunch at a food cart, take the #63 bus to the Rose Garden (you can probably skip the Japanese Garden , although there's a Chinese Garden in downtown) and then follow it the rest of the way to the Washington Park Zoo, returning to downtown by an eastbound MAX.

I used to live there, and I'd happily move back if housing prices hadn't skyrocketed out of my reach.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:13 am

I think the Japanese garden is fantastic.

And be sure to check the max schedules, there is a lot of work going on and some lines are disrupted now.

Portland is a super easy place for a layover. Just ride in and pick a few attractions depending on weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.