Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miami to Rio

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2009, 7:25 am
Original Poster

Miami to Rio

We have a choice. Copa with a connection in Panama for $1100 business.
Or TAM with a direct flight for $1300 business. Any suggestions ?
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
You don't mention if you have any affiliation with a mileage program. If redeemable miles are important to you, TAM will get you that on United's MP program, possible some others as they codeshare with UA, LH and one or two more. Copa has been affiliated with CO. But CO will be joining *A in Oct 09.

As for service and comfort in the air, no direct experience with either, but from reading other posts, TAM would seem preferable. Also, on departure from Rio, you should be able to use the TAM lounge, which is considered pretty good by other posting here.

And finally, TAM is a direct flight, hence much shorter. Don't know if Copa does a plane change or not. Even if not, might need to deplane in Panama and go through screening and reboard. Perhaps othes can chime in on this.

With only a 200 dollar difference as you indicate, I'd go for TAM.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thank you. I am not in any miles program connected with these lines. There is no plane change in Panama.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CM Silver, IHG Silver
Copa flies a 737 to Brazil. The seats are comparable to Continental's domestic first class on a 737. I would elect TAM on this one.

If flying with Copa, the connection in Panama will be short but there's no security screening/passport control to go through.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
On this route I think you are always better with a direct flight. I don't like TAM, but given this choice, I would go with them. Good luck!
Old Jun 3, 2009, 4:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Onepass, Lifemiles, SPG, Marriott. LANPASS s*cks.
TAM-no doubt.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 3:12 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by leandrorar
TAM-no doubt.
No question here: TAM.

1. You will fly nonstop;

2. TAM uses widebody aircraft while COPA uses narrow body (B737). Imagine flying all this distance with a narrow-body!

3. TAM is one of the best airlines in the region.

4. TAM uses GIG new T2 while COPA GIG old T1.

Rgs,
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:33 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt
Not even an issue, JJ all the way!! Excellent service and a direct flight.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Copa uses B737 with business class seat similar to U.S. carriers' domestic first class seat - 38 inch pitch, about 120 degree recline, and no footrest.

TAM uses B767 wide body and I assume their Business Class seat is Lazy Boy type seat with footrest, at least 55 inch pitch and 150 degree recline.

No doubt even I would spring for the additional $200 for TAM.
Old Jul 5, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Where are you getting the $1300 fare on TAM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.