Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MAXjet Ceases Operations on 12/24/2007

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:56 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
American scheduled flights to Stansted right on top of them. It was enough to knock MaxJet over, in one of the more egregious demonstrations of restraint of trade since the big carriers dumped on Freddy (as in the
"Freddy Awards") Laker several years ago. The Legacy carriers have raised prices, reduced competition, made upgrades and free premium seats nearly impossible, unless you give up hundreds of thousands of additional miles, and basically walked away from the FF programs. MaxJet didn't have to be great. Their value was the message sent to others, that if you charge too much, the customer can go elsewhere. With them gone, we'll pay for that.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 10:14 am

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
Originally Posted by deelmakur
American scheduled flights to Stansted right on top of them. It was enough to knock MaxJet over, in one of the more egregious demonstrations of restraint of trade since the big carriers dumped on Freddy (as in the
"Freddy Awards") Laker several years ago. The Legacy carriers have raised prices, reduced competition, made upgrades and free premium seats nearly impossible, unless you give up hundreds of thousands of additional miles, and basically walked away from the FF programs. MaxJet didn't have to be great. Their value was the message sent to others, that if you charge too much, the customer can go elsewhere. With them gone, we'll pay for that.
The fact is that they were BAD. I do not see this happening to EOS, Silverjet or L'Avion.
Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:32 am

Horrible management. Not too surprising.
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:20 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by SEAUAKID
I am very surprised Maxjet held on this long. Their business class seat was totally inadequate.
Yes...but you paid a peanut for it. I've seen maxjet RETURN fares for £329...even £299. That's amongst the realms of discounted economy tickets

It's a hell of a lot better than down back...you can't argue with that. I think they tried too many give away fares. I'm surprised people think AA set them off the balance. AA only added an extra 30 J seats a day.

May they rest in peace anyway...
Old Dec 31, 2007, 8:35 am

Programs: AA, Delta
I tend to think it was the mountain of maintenance problems that resulted in them keeping one aircraft on standby. Unfortunately, without deep pockets it was difficult to maintain aircraft on a stable schedule which obviously is vital if catering to a business class clientele
Old Jan 1, 2008, 4:35 am

Programs: UA MP Gold
Good riddance to them, just for environmental reasons alone. Burning all that fuel on (relatively) old metal just to move a couple dozen behinds across the pond makes zero sense.
I didn't know about their reaction to the Business Traveler review. Such corporate behaviour needs to be punished immediately - and it basically did.
Old Jan 1, 2008, 1:52 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus & bmi Diamond Club
Originally Posted by Freebird
Good riddance to them, just for environmental reasons alone. Burning all that fuel on (relatively) old metal just to move a couple dozen behinds across the pond makes zero sense.
I didn't know about their reaction to the Business Traveler review. Such corporate behaviour needs to be punished immediately - and it basically did.
Actually, Maxjet can be seen as a more 'green' alternative than traditional carriers. Maxjet, classing itself as a business class airline fits more seats in per metre squared, carries less passengers, meaning less catering supplies (galleys, trolleys, equipment etc.), less fuel, less water. Yes the carbon footprint per passenger is high, but a Maxjet configured B767 will emit LESS CO2 than an identical B767 in a standard config over a typical distance such as Stansted-JFK.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:25 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
I travelled Maxjet in November and found the service very comparable to AA. Some things were better, some were worse. The lounge was much better on Maxjet and the food also. I personally found the Maxjet seat much more comfortable that the AA NGBC seat. The plane was a bit noisey and outdated but there was no noise from economy .

From what I understand Maxjet have stopped booking flights home for people who are stranded. My sister was booked onto Virgin yesterday and they told her they's stopped paying for tickets the day before, thankfully a phonecall got it sorted. Looking at the Maxjet website they now show details of airlines offering discounted re accomodations.
Old Jan 2, 2008, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by flyboy777
Actually, Maxjet can be seen as a more 'green' alternative than traditional carriers. Maxjet, classing itself as a business class airline fits more seats in per metre squared, carries less passengers, meaning less catering supplies (galleys, trolleys, equipment etc.), less fuel, less water. Yes the carbon footprint per passenger is high, but a Maxjet configured B767 will emit LESS CO2 than an identical B767 in a standard config over a typical distance such as Stansted-JFK.
That's not really a good argument. That's essentially the same as saying that a car with a single occupant produces less emissions than one full of carpoolers, which is true, but irrelevant, since what's important is the emissions per traveller. Put another way, the number of people travelling across the pond isn't going to change, they're just going to do it in fewer airplanes, which will result in less total emissions in the end...
Old Jan 3, 2008, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by danM
That's not really a good argument. That's essentially the same as saying that a car with a single occupant produces less emissions than one full of carpoolers, which is true, but irrelevant, since what's important is the emissions per traveller. Put another way, the number of people travelling across the pond isn't going to change, they're just going to do it in fewer airplanes, which will result in less total emissions in the end...
Fact: 2 Identical aircraft with different loads. One heavier load than the other. The heavier aircraft WILL burn more fuel, & release more CO2. Therefore that flight is MORE harmful.

What your saying is all to do with responsibilty, & yes, that is an increasing arguement - Individual Carbon Footprints.

Aircraft with less passengers, less equipment, lighter interiors (Maxjets seats were old & relatively light compared with todays flatbeds which weigh huge amounts) & less supplies WILL weigh less...

Ultimately, it's the amount of carbon going into the atmosphere that's important, not whos responsibility it is etc.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I just stumbled onto this thread. Had a $500 credit on MaxJet for a 12 hour delay. Too bad too. Might have used it. Any recourse here?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.