Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Varig Smiles Questions....

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2002, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Varig Smiles Questions....

Curious if some fellow flyertalker's could help me answer these questions I have about the Varig program, answers are potentially useful to others too:

1. How do I go about claiming retrospective travel? Can I fax in my boarding passes/tickets?

2. To reach Smiles Gold status, I understand you need to reach 50,000 miles in a 12 consecutive month period. Does this mean it is not based on a calendar year? IE If I joined in June 2002, if I get to 50,000 by February 2003, will I have Gold status from February 2003 to February 2004? or will it be based on a calendar year + 1, ie if I got status in February 2003, would I keep it for the rest of 2003 and until December 2004?

3. The award bonus for achieving silver status is 5,000 points, then upon reaching gold is 7,500 for the first time. Does this mean as I reach each elite level I will get these bonuses and they'll accrue jointly, so i'll get 12,500 points all up?

4. Do they have a "minimum mileage" credit on your program? IE on any star alliance flight you earn a minimum of 500 miles, even if the miels travelled were say only 373 miles?

5. For the purposes of status to 50,000 miles to reach gold, do star alliance flights count as well? or is it only Varig flights?
Old Jul 31, 2002, 6:12 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kawoh:
1. How do I go about claiming retrospective travel? Can I fax in my boarding passes/tickets?
</font>
Retrospective travel may be asked if travel has been in the last 6 months. If Smiles Gold/Diamond (not sure about lower levels) and travel has been with Varig you may get the miles with a phone call - They check their records and credit the miles on the spot.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">2. To reach Smiles Gold status, I understand you need to reach 50,000 miles in a 12 consecutive month period. Does this mean it is not based on a calendar year? IE If I joined in June 2002, if I get to 50,000 by February 2003, will I have Gold status from February 2003 to February 2004? or will it be based on a calendar year + 1, ie if I got status in February 2003, would I keep it for the rest of 2003 and until December 2004?
</font>
Reaching your 50.000th mile in Feb.2003 you become GOLD on the first weekend of the following month, as it's done monthly. Your GOLD status will be valid through 28.Feb.2005 - The remain of the current year, plus the following year, plus 60 days of the next year - A magnific deal !

Your Smiles on-line account will let you know how many miles you need to go to an upper level.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">3. The award bonus for achieving silver status is 5,000 points, then upon reaching gold is 7,500 for the first time. Does this mean as I reach each elite level I will get these bonuses and they'll accrue jointly, so i'll get 12,500 points all up?</font>
Your logic is correct except it won't happen just on the first time.
Eg. Once you get Silver you get the bonus. If you go back to basic and up again you'll get again the bonus miles + personalized domestic RG upgrades.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">4. Do they have a "minimum mileage" credit on your program? IE on any star alliance flight you earn a minimum of 500 miles, even if the miels travelled were say only 373 miles?</font>
From my experience it depends on the airline you fly with; Usually it's 500 miles but check your particular situation.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">5. For the purposes of status to 50,000 miles to reach gold, do star alliance flights count as well? or is it only Varig flights?</font>
All Star Alliance flown miles count. Not valid for Class miles or any other bonus miles. Check directly with Varig if the *A carrier of your choice will accrue 100% miles.

Last but not least, beware that upgrades using miles are difficult with discounted fares. Miles are valid for the remain of the year plus 3 years. Changing dates of awards once issued costs 25USD. I guess these are all the negatives that come to my mind. On the other side you'll receive shiny tags for your luggage according to your status.
Old Jul 31, 2002, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

pb9997, thank you for the most detailed response, very much appreciated.
Old May 27, 2003, 5:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pb9997:
beware that upgrades using miles are difficult with discounted fares.</font>
Do you know if you can upgrade on miles using Varig's "Internet Bargin" fares?
Old May 27, 2003, 7:37 pm

Programs: Smiles Diamante, dirt elsewhere
I think only a couple of coach fares are eligible for upgrades. At least last time I did this I had to purchase a more expensive ticket to get the upgrade (international flight, not sure about domestic ones). I don't think the internet ones are included in these.

Another way you can reach gold is to fly 60 segments in one year. Any *A flight counts too.

FR
Old Jun 3, 2003, 6:15 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Geez - I must be blind, but I can't find a reward redemption chart anywhere on the Varig website. Can someone point the way?

I want to find out how many miles are needed for a Japan-London Star Alliance Award ticket in Y and C.

Plus, I assume Varig allows their members to redeposit miles - yes/no?

Cheers,
Dave - Japan
Old Jun 4, 2003, 8:41 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Perhaps you're not blind; I couldn't find it either. It probably is their coveted secret

Below's the information you were asking :

Japan - North Asia
UK - Europe

RG Star Awards North Asia/Europe require 70/110/150 k miles for Coach, Bus and First class awards.

Redeposit : Same rules as for RG only awards.
Route Change: Not allowed after ticket has been issued.
Maximum connections : six total both ways
Stopover: 1 allowed outside country of origin
Old Jun 4, 2003, 6:48 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Thank You. I think I'll redeem with ANA for only 55K in Y.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.