Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Varig Still Using MD-11's on LHR - GRU - GIG?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2002, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Varig Still Using MD-11's on LHR - GRU - GIG?

In another posting (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum140/HTML/000014.html), it was indicated that Varig was using the new 777's on this route; I plan on doing this in August (19th or 20th or 21st), and both ViewTrip.com as well as the Varig reservations agent said it was an MD-11. Granted, the Varig agent said "It's the largest Airbus in the fleet." (?????????) so I'm a little skeptical on that.

Anyway, apparently there is only 1 row in first class on my flight, but I've heard that the seats are atrocious on the Varig MD-11's, although the service is good. ? I also have to switch to a 737 for the GRU - GIG portion. I'm not thrilled about 12 hours on an MD-11. Does anyone have any experience with these? I could just as easily go LH FRA - EZE for the trans-Atlantic portion. Advice is appreciated.

Also, please don't tell me not to complain and to just enjoy Rio. I'm not complaining and I'm not asking if Rio is great, I'm asking about the comfort/service ratio on a particular aircraft.

Will
Old Jul 15, 2002, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Sorry, TW, I've only been on the RG 767s for trans-Atlantic flights.

Hope your flights go well, though - have fun!
Old Jul 15, 2002, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Hey, Blair, how were the 767's at least? I assume their seats are somewhat akin, if not identical to the MD-11's...note that I assume...and we all know what that means.

Service was okay in first on Varig? I think you were in first if I recall an earlier posting of yours.

I love LH, and since it's a sure thing I'm tempted to go to EZE to flee Varig; I'll stick with 'em if anyone can tell me they're service is on par with LH and the seats are not backbreakers (e.g., the TG MD-11 seats led me to christen flights on those as "Royal Pain").

As always, thank you for any feedback.

Will
Old Jul 15, 2002, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
TW: No, I was upgraded (operational) to Business on one of my trips; the other trips have all been in Y. The seats are quite "old fashioned" and not anything like C or F seats on UA, LH, etc. Service is very good and you get lots of food! The new 777s have all the bells and whistles; the older planes (MD-11 and 767) really are dated now.

Look for trip reports by Guava in the Trip Reports forum; he flew RG in First and wrote up all of his experiences.

[This message has been edited by blairvanhorn (edited 07-15-2002).]
Old Jul 15, 2002, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
Varig's website said recently that the 777 were starting on this route but did not give any dates. Sorry I can't help you with anymore info.
Old Jul 15, 2002, 9:57 pm

Not sure if 777s are already working this route, but these will have internet access for Business and First. I was actually talking to braslvr about it yesterday at Lan Kwai Fong, we would pay maybe US$ 10 or more per hour to have net on flights.

Anyway, if still the M11 I only know it's Business and they are crap. Food is good though.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold; VA Velocity Gold; LH FTL; Marriott Gold; ICHG Platinum AMB; Hilton Gold
I've regularly seen RG 777's at LHR and CPH (the LHR flight will often continue there) for the last few months, and not MD-11's, but I haven't ever flown RG so can't comment on whether this operates every day of the week. Certainly seems to operate the route on Fridays and Sundays from LHR.

RG's UK website (www.varig.co.uk) states that the route is now exclusively operated by 777's.

[This message has been edited by House (edited 07-18-2002).]
Old Jul 18, 2002, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
As a side note... My inside sources tell me that UPS has recently purchased 2 MD11s from RG and is looking at a third.
Old Jul 18, 2002, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">As a side note... My inside sources tell me that UPS has recently purchased 2 MD11s from RG and is looking at a third.</font>
Now THAT is good news!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.