Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foreign Flight Attendant Pay in US Airports

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2023, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Foreign Flight Attendant Pay in US Airports

Do foreign flight attendants get paid by US minimum wage for when they have to work the counter in a US airport?
I ask because Viva Aerobus is a mexican airline, but their flight attendants literally work at the check in counter at US airports, close the check in counter like 45 min before takoff, then go back to the gate to do the boarding before working on the plane.
How does their pay work?
Old Oct 11, 2023, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by COMMONC3NTS
Do foreign flight attendants get paid by US minimum wage for when they have to work the counter in a US airport?
I ask because Viva Aerobus is a mexican airline, but their flight attendants literally work at the check in counter at US airports, close the check in counter like 45 min before takoff, then go back to the gate to do the boarding before working on the plane.
How does their pay work?
You may want to check your facts again.

I don't see how this would possibly work with scheduled flights in the US. I have flown Viva Aerobus and the ground staff has been local employees each time. In the US, they are employed by a contracted ground handler. In Mexico, I believe they are direct employees of Viva. The only arrangement similar to this which I can imagine would be when they run charter flights to an airport they don't usually serve in the US. They may bring a tech rep or mechanic to supervise the handling of their aircraft but this person is working in an oversight capacity and wouldn't do double duty as a flight attendant.

Flight attendants are employed locally in Mexico, paid a pittance by US standards (although being an FA is still respected in Mexico) and enter the US as crew, and are not authorized to work in a different capacity during their stay. The FAs would also need local SIDA badges at each airport for this scheme to work. No way I can see it working out. It's cheaper to just hire a local ground handler even though the US wage for a ground handler is likely higher than the Mexican wage for an FA.
Old Oct 12, 2023, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Im not talking about ground handlers. I am talking about the flight attendants that work the front check in desk at the airport, then go back to work the gate, before working on the plane. Viva uses the flight attendants to work the desks.
On VIVA they fly into the US in the morning. Are there all day, then fly back to mexico later in the day but they are the same people that work the check in and gate desk.
I am wondering how they are paid when they do the work in the US airport.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 1:14 am
Suspended

Im not talking about ground handlers. I am talking about the flight attendants that work the front check in desk at the airport, then go back to work the gate, before working on the plane. Viva uses the flight attendants to work the desks.
On VIVA they fly into the US in the morning. Are there all day, then fly back to mexico later in the day but they are the same people that work the check in and gate desk.
I don't see how that's possible. Ground crew( luggage handlers, check-in agents etc are supposed to be employees in U.S.and the local U.S. labor laws apply to them.
Adam Smith and seawolf like this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 9:26 am

What airports have you seen this happen at? I can say it doesn't work this way with Viva Aerobus at SAT or ORD.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2023, 6:23 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Legally, a full crew of flight attendants must be on board for passenger boarding. They cannot step off the plane to be a gate agent at the same time.

So, no, flight attendants are not gate agents any any US airport.
Old Oct 22, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
It is not the case. I used to work for a company that had contracts with Viva Aerobus. Doesn't happen that way in the US.

Logistically I'm not sure how that would even work if check-in opens 3 hours before the first departure, plus there are duties the agents perform after the departure (such as being required to remain in customs as long as a customer may be in secondary).
Old Oct 22, 2023, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Simple explanation. Employees are either all clones, or identical androids.
jjbiv, TPJ and seawolf like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.