Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico - transit time in MEX T2

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Aeromexico - transit time in MEX T2

I'm flying SFO-MEX-EZE on AM, with 2 hr 40 min transit time in MEX (arr 8:05pm, dep 10:45pm). Both arrival and departure are T2. In another thread someone noted that they recommend a minimum of 3 hours between flights to clear customs and immigration. Should I be concerned? Any tips for moving through smoothly? Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2022, 4:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mehitabel
I'm flying SFO-MEX-EZE on AM, with 2 hr 40 min transit time in MEX (arr 8:05pm, dep 10:45pm). Both arrival and departure are T2.
Depends on the day , it will probably ok if no delay

In another thread someone noted that they recommend a minimum of 3 hours between flights to clear customs and immigration.
Most likely me , but this 3h include taxing + customs + immigration, and its 3h minimum between arrival time and boarding , as a buffer in case of issues

Should I be concerned?
No real need to be concerned , you have 2h40 mins , not 90mins

The main reason why we recommend this 3h for connection when arriving from international flights is due to frequent delays of AM long haul flights and immigration queues at MEX , its not a written rule

Any tips for moving through smoothly? Thanks!
  1. fill-in the mexican immigration form in full colours and print it before departure
  2. get a seat at the front of your SFO-MEX flight
  3. walk quickly to arrive at immigration before crowds
mehitabel likes this.

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 26, 2022 at 6:10 am
Old Jul 26, 2022, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'm flying SFO-MEX-EZE on AM, with 2 hr 40 min transit time in MEX (arr 8:05pm, dep 10:45pm). Both arrival and departure are T2. In another thread someone noted that they recommend a minimum of 3 hours between flights to clear customs and immigration. Should I be concerned? Any tips for moving through smoothly? Thanks!
That should be fine given that you don't have to wait for checked luggage prior to your connection. Although you'll have to go through immigration/customs, your bag will transfer. Note that the home-printed immigration form will likely not be accepted by the authorities (unless there has been a very recent change). They'll probably hand out the "originals" on the plane.
mehitabel likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fifty_two
Depends on the day , it will probably ok if no delay
Most likely me , but this 3h include taxing + customs + immigration, and its 3h minimum between arrival time and boarding , as a buffer in case of issues
No real need to be concerned , you have 2h40 mins , not 90mins
The main reason why we recommend this 3h for connection when arriving from international flights is due to frequent delays of AM long haul flights and immigration queues at MEX , its not a written rule
  1. fill-in the mexican immigration form in full colours and print it before departure
  2. get a seat at the front of your SFO-MEX flight
  3. walk quickly to arrive at immigration before crowds
Thank you! This is truly helpful, and reassuring.

Do you think it's better to check luggage or carry on? I usually don't check, but will if that speeds up the customs process. Thoughts?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! This is truly helpful, and reassuring.

Do you think it's better to check luggage or carry on? I usually don't check, but will if that speeds up the customs process. Thoughts?
Expect that AM will strictly enforce its hand luggage policy. You might slide by from time to time, but don't expect it (both size and weight). Again, MEX transit to/from EZE currently permit thru-checking of luggage. Some other Latin America cities require a physical pickup of luggage @ MEX and return to a baggage drop location.
mehitabel likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Expect that AM will strictly enforce its hand luggage policy. You might slide by from time to time, but don't expect it (both size and weight). Again, MEX transit to/from EZE currently permit thru-checking of luggage. Some other Latin America cities require a physical pickup of luggage @ MEX and return to a baggage drop location.
Whoa, hugely helpful! Thanks so much. Looks like I'll check, then.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 2:34 am
Suspended

Did you get this info on AM's website, or by experience?
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:49 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Note that the home-printed immigration form will likely not be accepted by the authorities (unless there has been a very recent change)..
Done 2 times in winter 2021/2022 without issues, but the form doesnt take more than 2 mins to be filled by hand , so its more a time saving measure

They'll probably hand out the "originals" on the plane.
Yes , if flying with AM they usually do it mid-flight

Some other Latin America cities require a physical pickup of luggage @ MEX and return to a baggage drop location.
Regardless of the flight , I would now recommend to check cause i recently saw this pix from a report , so it seems to change from time to time

mehitabel likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mama
Did you get this info on AM's website, or by experience?
Experience
mehitabel likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Experience
My experience (preCovid) was that their transit checked luggage policy changed from time to time regardless of destination. I have not flown AM since Covid started.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 1:57 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
So to give advice on the whole baggage transfer situation - has its benefits, but when it screws up, it can be difficult.

First of all, I don't remember what it was that set it off, but I do remember it was my own damn fault. Don't be me.
My checked bag got pulled for a customs check/infraction. And the first I heard of it was when I was boarding my flight. I had checked into the AM lounge, and had sat around the gate listening in general for announcements for quite a while. It was only when they scanned my boarding pass was I told I had to go out of the terminal, down to customs (more security), handle my problem, then back through security to airside.
As you would imagine by the time I got back my flight was long gone.

Lesson - be very sure whatever you are checking through will not cause problems.

As an aside, I did a mid-day arrival and connection, and made it through immigration and customs and security to airside in less than 20 minutes. Probably a new record for me.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RFNJ
So to give advice on the whole baggage transfer situation - has its benefits, but when it screws up, it can be difficult.

First of all, I don't remember what it was that set it off, but I do remember it was my own damn fault. Don't be me.
My checked bag got pulled for a customs check/infraction. And the first I heard of it was when I was boarding my flight. I had checked into the AM lounge, and had sat around the gate listening in general for announcements for quite a while. It was only when they scanned my boarding pass was I told I had to go out of the terminal, down to customs (more security), handle my problem, then back through security to airside.
As you would imagine by the time I got back my flight was long gone.

Lesson - be very sure whatever you are checking through will not cause problems.

As an aside, I did a mid-day arrival and connection, and made it through immigration and customs and security to airside in less than 20 minutes. Probably a new record for me.
what did you have in your checked bag?
Old Aug 1, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
As I mentioned in the post, I don't remember what it was that set it off. But I do remember it being my fault.
If I had to speculate, it was either home goods or clothes I was bringing down that still had tags. I recall the fine being inconsequential, and it was the aggravation that got me.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 3:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RFNJ
As I mentioned in the post, I don't remember what it was that set it off. But I do remember it being my fault.
If I had to speculate, it was either home goods or clothes I was bringing down that still had tags. I recall the fine being inconsequential, and it was the aggravation that got me.
Note to self: no tags. Thanks for the heads up to be careful as I'm still planning to check a bag.

I've also printed out the immigration form in color as fifty_two suggested, but will fill out the in-flight version as backup. I'll report back here on my experience. As noted below, I've got a 2hr 40min transit window.
fifty_two and RFNJ like this.
Old Aug 1, 2022, 5:38 pm

In my experience, Mexico is actually more strict with used clothing than with new clothes. I think they are concerned with cheap used clothing coming south from the US and damaging the local market for new clothes. New clothing is pretty exepnsive in Mexico. The exception is if the clothes you are bringing could plausibly belong to you or a traveler in your party. New clothes shouldn't be an issue as long as the value is less than the duty-free allowance ($500 per person if I recall correctly) and you have receipts to prove what you paid for the items. In this case aduana/customs may have wanted to examine the items or receipts.
mehitabel likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.