Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

What should I know before buying an AeroMexico ticket?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2022, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS

I'm seeing some pretty reasonable J fares from the west coast to SCL on AeroMexico.

At the same time, in reading through this forum, I am seeing a lot of cynicism directed towards them, most of which seem pretty deserved based on the circumstances. Stuff like refusing refunds on cancelled flights, minimal to no assistance in IRROPS situations, downgrades from J to Y, things like that. It also isn't clear to me how healthy they are after emerging from bankruptcy.

I have never flown them before, either pre or post-covid. Basically I'm wondering - is it worth it to pay nearly a grand more and fly someone like LATAM or DL/AA/UA on long haul to South America, or is a lot of this just overblown?
Gallibep likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 2:34 am
Suspended

Let us know how much their airfare is from the west coast to SCL, and I will tell you if it's worth it.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:14 am
Original Poster

$1850 or so, it's I class. Option of either a noon flight or a red eye to MEX, then connect to SCL the next morning. Red eye from SCL to MEX on the way back, and a 4 hr-ish layover in MEX going back to SEA.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:36 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I have been flying them pretty regularly for 10 years, including during and after bankruptcy, and I haven't seen any changes because of it. In the 10 years, I have seen improvement - newer planes, better boarding experience. The criticisms are valid - they suck at refunds. Beyond a simple delay, they often seem to lack any authority/initiative. I have never been downgraded, so I can't speak to that.

I will say that all in all I don't usually have any problems with them. Routine delays are not uncommon, especially dealing with MEX. But I don't think they are a bad airline.
Old May 11, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by RFNJ
I have been flying them pretty regularly for 10 years, including during and after bankruptcy, and I haven't seen any changes because of it. In the 10 years, I have seen improvement - newer planes, better boarding experience. The criticisms are valid - they suck at refunds. Beyond a simple delay, they often seem to lack any authority/initiative. I have never been downgraded, so I can't speak to that.

I will say that all in all I don't usually have any problems with them. Routine delays are not uncommon, especially dealing with MEX. But I don't think they are a bad airline.
MEX is a disaster area. The immigration lines and then if you have to wait for luggage for your connection (SCL northbound is one of those cities...) - it is an hour+ typically for the luggage, as it goes through inspection prior to baggage carousel arrival. The bag re-drop and transit security is typically a 15 minute experience, max. The lounge situation is pretty bleak, but I've got a routine down, including the AX lounge. Onboard F&B ranges from awful to decent. The 787-9 is a nice ride. The 787-8 is an acceptable ride. Most of the 738s are ok, and more comfortable than domestic US narrow body front cabins. The crews range from "don't ask, I'll bite your head off" to quite pleasant. Boarding for US-bound flights tends to be a cluster, especially with the current doc verification.

But the price is often (but not always) right. And the MQDs for DL are almost always right.
Gallibep likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 6:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
MEX is a disaster area. The immigration lines and then if you have to wait for luggage for your connection (SCL northbound is one of those cities...) - it is an hour+ typically for the luggage, as it goes through inspection prior to baggage carousel arrival. The bag re-drop and transit security is typically a 15 minute experience, max. The lounge situation is pretty bleak, but I've got a routine down, including the AX lounge. Onboard F&B ranges from awful to decent. The 787-9 is a nice ride. The 787-8 is an acceptable ride. Most of the 738s are ok, and more comfortable than domestic US narrow body front cabins. The crews range from "don't ask, I'll bite your head off" to quite pleasant. Boarding for US-bound flights tends to be a cluster, especially with the current doc verification.

But the price is often (but not always) right. And the MQDs for DL are almost always right.
I’ve been there so many times and every time I’m surprised at how there are so many lounges but they’re all equally mediocre.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DL DMs use cheap business class AM flights to earn lots of MQDs for not so much money. There are comments on experiences in doing this in the DL forum.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL DMs use cheap business class AM flights to earn lots of MQDs for not so much money. There are comments on experiences in doing this in the DL forum.
Plenty that aren't DMs do the same thing.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by urifin
I’ve been there so many times and every time I’m surprised at how there are so many lounges but they’re all equally mediocre.
Oh, some are less than mediocre. As for the OP, if you've only got AM lounge access and want a relatively quiet respite (with extremely limited snacks, but the panoply of beverages), there's a Terraza Premier Heiniken which is a decent hike, but probably the most pleasant place to hang out.
RFNJ likes this.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input. I think we are going to give this a try, likely with an overnight layover on the way down in MEX. The plan would be to stay at the NH hotel in T2 and catch the 10am flight down to SCL the next morning.

We are pretty invested in AS which is why LATAM has some appeal to us, although maybe this gives us a chance to try out DL from SEA instead. The AM fare is just so much lower than what the competition is offering.
Old May 12, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sullim4
Thanks everyone for the input. I think we are going to give this a try, likely with an overnight layover on the way down in MEX. The plan would be to stay at the NH hotel in T2 and catch the 10am flight down to SCL the next morning.

We are pretty invested in AS which is why LATAM has some appeal to us, although maybe this gives us a chance to try out DL from SEA instead. The AM fare is just so much lower than what the competition is offering.
I stayed at the T2 NH last year after a flight was canceled. It was great.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 5:06 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
My experience of late is that AM will float absurd changes if they cancel a flight - like leaving a day early in a lower class of service - but telephone agents do their best to sort it out. And they answer calls quicker for those with no status than Delta's Diamond Desk answers calls from elites. AM's own lounges are poor but the Centurion lounges in MEX make up for it if you have access. Expect plated options from the latter rather than a buffet. Afternoons and evenings are best for avoiding immigration crowds at MEX.

Last edited by BNAChairman; May 18, 2022 at 11:12 am
Old May 19, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
I like NH...its nothing fancy, but can't beat the ease of access, and has always been very clean.
Old May 21, 2022, 2:39 pm

Ive been flying on AM for the last couple years to Mex and have taken one domestic flight. The only two complaints I have are it sometimes takes a lot of prodding to get miles connected and it can take over an hour for luggage in Mex and my home airport. If these things were fixed no issues for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.