Wiki Posts
Search

Aeromexico bags and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Aeromexico bags and upgrades

I'm a DL Silver travelling with my family tomorrow TIJ-MEX-CUN. My 3 companions do not have any status but do have DL skymiles numbers. We are on a regular T fare, not a basic fare.

I'm trying to checkin online right now and they want to charge me $42 per bag. I thought DL Silver is Skyteam Elite and it comes with 1 free bag. I'm not clear if that's 1 free bag per person or 1 free bag total. The system does seem to recognize my DL status because it allows me to pick priority seating for free but wants to charge for my companions - so it's weird that it's not doing the same for checked bags.

Also, I had bid on an upgrade on the auction. The needle was in the dark green based on my bid, but I haven't received a confirmation yet with less than 24 hours to go. When I look on the app, it shows 5 people on the upgrade list with 0 seats remaining. I am not on the upgrade list on the app, so I'm not sure how the upgrade bid works with that or if it means I won't get accepted.

Thanks for any help.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 1:37 am

Did you get one bag free or is the system charging you for the one bag? I'm interested in what happens because I too am flying in the back (may Guadeloupe watch over me in cattle class), am silver and would love to check my bag (for free).
Old Nov 20, 2021, 2:11 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Did you get one bag free or is the system charging you for the one bag? I'm interested in what happens because I too am flying in the back (may Guadeloupe watch over me in cattle class), am silver and would love to check my bag (for free).
Does skyteam benefit rule says companion also enjoy the benefits? If it does, you can just pull up your phone and show the check-in agent your skyteam silver elite status and companion benifit entitlement. If there is no specific stated benefits, that is NO.
I am sure they will honor skyteam benefit rules.

Last edited by Mama; Nov 20, 2021 at 2:17 am
Old Nov 20, 2021, 8:51 am

Programs: AM Plat, UA Plat, AA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex Plat
Call Reservations to check if your bid was successful. My relative recently won her bid but never received a notification. If you get at least one seat in Business, that includes two 32 kg bags, and with dl silver you get a third 32kg one. If you didn't win the auction you'll get one 23kg bag in total. Reservations can also sell you the bags at the discounted price if you're outside the check in window.

If you didn't win the auction, you'll get only the first bag. You can also enquire about cash upgrades without the auction component when you call.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
On the outbound, I checked in with an agent. I got my bag free, but had to pay for my 2 companions bags. Apparantly companions don't get free bags. The Skyteam website doesn't say anything about companions, just that we get 1 free bag added to my baggage allowance. The free bag had to be attached to by name, and the other two bags to the other companions.

On the return, I had one segment in business. Online it still wanted to charge me for bags. At the airport, the kiosk said there was a charge, but when I clicked continue, it never actually charged me and issued our boarding passes. Ended up getting all our bags free and sky priority boarding due to the business segment. So the kiosk may have just stated the normal charge and then applied our allowance to the total due so we ended up not owing anything. Strange way to do things.

No upgrades cleared, only the 1 segment on our return that was an instant upgrade. All our flights went out completely full including business. On the return, the upgrade list for business had 15+ names on it.
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:16 am

Can someone explain to me why it takes so long for bags to clear in Mex? This last Fri I had my now monthly trip down. I'm Sky Priority so I expect speediness. This last trip it took just over an hour to get my one bag. I was so ready to hop behind the scene and grab my bag. I can understand if Mex was in the top 10 busiest airports, maybe but it's not.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 3:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Can someone explain to me why it takes so long for bags to clear in Mex? This last Fri I had my now monthly trip down. I'm Sky Priority so I expect speediness. This last trip it took just over an hour to get my one bag. I was so ready to hop behind the scene and grab my bag. I can understand if Mex was in the top 10 busiest airports, maybe but it's not.
I suppose you are a newbie at MEX airport. The bag timing can be unpredictable there, sometimes the bags come out pretty fast.
You have Sky priority, but so do many other passengers, and many other flights.
My advice is to go with the flow.
Old Dec 9, 2021, 9:11 am

Programs: AeroMexico Club Premiere
Originally Posted by Mama
I suppose you are a newbie at MEX airport. The bag timing can be unpredictable there, sometimes the bags come out pretty fast.
I agree MEX is a roll of the dice. But for what it is worth, JFK isn't any better.
Old Dec 10, 2021, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by Mama
I've been traveling into Mex for the last year bi monthly. This was the absolute worse wait time ever for any airport or airline I've flown. I wouldn't had to check a bag (quick few day trip) had it not been for covid and packing for the just incase quarantine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.