Wiki Posts
Search

Avelo-terrible or biased reporting ?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2021, 11:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Avelo-terrible or biased reporting ?

new U.S. airline Avelo flying out of Burbank Hollywood airport.

The points guy articlehttps://thepointsguy.com/news/avelo-...oeing-737-800/

is full or errors

Talks about narrow 17 inch seats, but unless they have a very very wide aisle or very very wide armrests, which I doubt, all airlines flying boeing 737-800s with 6 abreast in coach, would have the same width seats.

Also, seat pitch is again used as a measurement of legroom, which most people realise is not, unless reference to the actual seat back.

Avelo look like they have new slimline seats with thin seat backs, meaning extra legroom is created by having thin seat backs without changing the pitch.

Maybe the reporter edited the story in the hurry, as he went on to say that

"The seats themselves are Acro Series 6, which feature a built-in curve around the hip level for two additional inches of knee space."

while at same time comparing the total seats to that of Southwest at 175 (14 less) without mentioning the thickness of the seat backs on Southwest aircraft.

Last edited by OZFLYER86; May 2, 2021 at 5:54 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Haven't flown yet but one thing I just found out after booking a couple trips is

Currently, all Customers must check-in for their flight at the airport ticket counter. Please arrive early to receive your boarding pass prior to your flight.
It defeats the convenience of small airports if I have to show up early and stand in line for ckeckin plus small airports don't have much space or lounges for hanging out. I love convenience of BUR but terminal interior is absolutely awful and arriving 1.5 h early for morning flight from BUR is completely nuts.

Why they couldnt get online checkin going right away is beyond me. And KTN doesn't work with avelo yet based on bloggers notes but small places don't have much of precheck benefits anyways.
Old May 3, 2021, 11:46 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
Also, seat pitch is again used as a measurement of legroom, which most people realise is not, unless reference to the actual seat back.
​​​​​
Avelo look like they have new slimline seats with thin seat backs, meaning extra legroom is created by having thin seat backs without changing the pitch.

Maybe the reporter edited the story in the hurry, as he went on to say that

"The seats themselves are Acro Series 6, which feature a built-in curve around the hip level for two additional inches of knee space."

while at same time comparing the total seats to that of Southwest at 175 (14 less) without mentioning the thickness of the seat backs on Southwest aircraft.
Seat pitch measures the distance from a point on one seat to the same point on the next seat. A slimmer seat means less of that space is consumed by the seat itself and more is available for the passenger. But as a very tall person, I disagree that pitch is not a measure of leg room.

Seats have been getting slimmer for years, so while Avelo's may be slightly slimmer than the ones that WN is currently flying, I suspect it's fractions of an inch, rather than multiple inches (although I will admit to not being hugely familiar with WN's current product as I haven't flown them in a few years). If WN has 31" pitch and Avelo has 29", a 0.5" slimmer seat (if that's what it is; I'm guessing) still means 1.5" less space for the passenger.

As to the concept that curves in the seat create extra knee room, I have flown some seats like that and found the claims to be vastly exaggerated. Again, from one point to the same point on the seat in front, the pitch is the same, so unless the seat is even slimmer there than elsewhere, the extra room only comes if your body is at an angle. I've found that these designs may create slightly more room, but may also force you in to a somewhat uncomfortable position to take advantage of it.

The slimness of the seats also often comes at the cost of less padding, which tends to make the seat less comfortable.

Whether the reporting was biased depends on whether the information was accurately and fairly presented. He provided detailed statistics on the measurements throughout the cabin (including the claim about the 2" of extra knee room), and noted that the attraction of flying Avelo is the extremely low prices. He provided his personal opinion on how comfortable (or not) it was. Overall, I suspect the article gives a fair assessment of what the comfort will be like for the passenger.

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 3, 2021 at 2:07 pm Reason: Posted prematurely, needed to finish
Old May 3, 2021, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Adam Smith
Seat pitch measures the distance from a point on one seat to the same point on the next seat. A slimmer seat means less of that space is consumed by the seat itself and more is available for the passenger. But as a very tall person, I disagree that pitch is not a measure of leg room.

Seats have been getting slimmer for years, so while Avelo's may be slightly slimmer than the ones that WN is currently flying, I suspect it's fractions of an inch, rather than multiple inches (although I will admit to not being hugely familiar with WN's current product as I haven't flown them in a few years). If WN has 31" pitch and Avelo has 29", a 0.5" slimmer seat (if that's what it is; I'm guessing) still means 1.5" less space for the passenger.

As to the concept that curves in the seat create extra knee room, I have flown some seats like that and found the claims to be vastly exaggerated. Again, from one point to the same point on the seat in front, the pitch is the same, so unless the seat is even slimmer there than elsewhere, the extra room only comes if your body is at an angle. I've found that these designs may create slightly more room, but may also force you in to a somewhat uncomfortable position to take advantage of it.

The slimness of the seats also often comes at the cost of less padding, which tends to make the seat less comfortable.

Whether the reporting was biased depends on whether the information was accurately and fairly presented. He provided detailed statistics on the measurements throughout the cabin (including the claim about the 2" of extra knee room), and noted that the attraction of flying Avelo is the extremely low prices. He provided his personal opinion on how comfortable (or not) it was. Overall, I suspect the article gives a fair assessment of what the comfort will be like for the passenger.
implying that the seats are somehow narrower on Avelo b737s is just ridiculous.

A 1 inch(2.51cm) difference in seat back thickness x 31 rows allows for roughly another row. 2 inches 2 rows.

If WN has 31" pitch and Avelo has 29", a 1" slimmer seat & 2 inch due to curve in seat (if that's what it is; I'm guessing) still means 1" MORE space for the passenger.

We looked at seat pitch a while back when leasing an aircraft & be putting those of short stature in seats with least legroom meant, everyone could be happy with legroom.
Old May 3, 2021, 7:56 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by OZFLYER86
implying that the seats are somehow narrower on Avelo b737s is just ridiculous.
I did not research research seat width and made no comment on that.

If WN has 31" pitch and Avelo has 29", a 1" slimmer seat & 2 inch due to curve in seat (if that's what it is; I'm guessing) still means 1" MORE space for the passenger.
You're making the same claim LH did when they put in slimline seats. My contention is that the claimed extra space created by curves and other weird design features doesn't create nearly the space the airlines claim it does, and ends up being less comfortable (partly because the only way to create space is eliminating material, much of which is padding). I can tell you, as a guy who's 6'4", I've been less comfortable in LH's slimline seats than the old ones.

Seat pitch may be imperfect, but it's the only figure that's consistently reported across the industry - do you have the precise knee room measurement for the Avelo seats, and those for WN? - so it's hardly biased to use that in trying to illustrate what the experience will be like.

We looked at seat pitch a while back when leasing an aircraft & be putting those of short stature in seats with least legroom meant, everyone could be happy with legroom.
But that's not how a commercial airline works. There's the basic layout and if you want more room, you pay more. Avelo does have seats offering extra room, but the more extras you start piling on, the more you'll pay, hurting the value proposition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.