Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

AM cancellation - MEX-ACA; Voucher only? No refund?

AM cancellation - MEX-ACA; Voucher only? No refund?

Old Apr 1, 2020, 11:38 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London and Madrid
Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 577
AM cancellation - MEX-ACA; Voucher only? No refund?

I had booked two tickets (Premier one way, whatever their "extra" class is the other) from MEX to ACA and back.

AM changed my flights and told me to call and confirm the change. I did not want to confirm the change, I wanted a refund. Their agents are telling me "Aeromexico's policy is to not issue refunds, we only offer vouchers". When I press, they hang up.

The tickets were purchased in the US.

I'm trying to figure out whether to press for a refund via AMEX, or to accept their voucher offer. I would rather have a refund, but can't figure out what I'm able to do versus what Aeromexico says I should do.

Anyone?
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:26 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by embarcadero1
I had booked two tickets (Premier one way, whatever their "extra" class is the other) from MEX to ACA and back.

AM changed my flights and told me to call and confirm the change. I did not want to confirm the change, I wanted a refund. Their agents are telling me "Aeromexico's policy is to not issue refunds, we only offer vouchers". When I press, they hang up.

The tickets were purchased in the US.

I'm trying to figure out whether to press for a refund via AMEX, or to accept their voucher offer. I would rather have a refund, but can't figure out what I'm able to do versus what Aeromexico says I should do.

Anyone?
Gosia2611 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2020, 1:29 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 2
I was told the same. They cancelled my flight but no refunds, only vouchers. When I pressed he said I can contact customer service via e mail. He said it is because cancellation was due to governmemt restrictions. What a lot of bull! I took the voucher and wrote e mail. Hopeless
Gosia2611 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:47 pm
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 50,265
Maybe ask a Mod to merge this with the AM refunds thread? Also, read through that as there is a lot of useful information which may answer your questions.
Often1 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2020, 2:49 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London and Madrid
Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 577
Originally Posted by Often1
Maybe ask a Mod to merge this with the AM refunds thread? Also, read through that as there is a lot of useful information which may answer your questions.
Not so much - the other thread involves a ticket purchased from/to the EU and has the support of EU regulations.

This case is much simpler in that it's for travel wholly within Mexico. Because of that, recourse may be more limited.
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2020, 3:56 pm
  #6  
Accor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: RBA / TBS
Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Posts: 2,694
Originally Posted by embarcadero1

This case is much simpler in that it's for travel wholly within Mexico. Because of that, recourse may be more limited.
if iam correct you need to check the laws of the point of sales and/or the laws of mexico (as this is domestic flight)
fifty_two is offline  
Old Apr 3, 2020, 10:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL FO 1MM
Posts: 1,759
If you purchased with a US credit card, then a dispute is probably your only viable option at this point.
angra is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2020, 1:50 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London and Madrid
Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 577
Thanks, that's the direction I've gone. We'll see what AMEX comes up with, but for now, they're asking me whether the flights are refundable, which doesn't give me great hopes & expectations.
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2020, 2:22 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: TOL
Posts: 694
You can also file a complaint with PROFECO, the Mexican federal consumer regulator (similar to a how a state attorney general helps with consumer issues in the US).
jjbiv is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:50 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: London and Madrid
Programs: BA Gold, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 577
Thank you! That's a great idea.
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old Apr 7, 2020, 3:01 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Smyrna, GA, USA
Programs: DL FO 1MM
Posts: 1,759
so far, Profeco seems to be going a bit soft on the Mexican airlines. I'd definitely file a complaint with them, but I would not count on them to do much to make me whole.
angra is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.