Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit - refund for UK pax

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Spirit - refund for UK pax

Hi - I'm a UK citizen having to call off a planned US trip next month. Our Govt has now ruled USA travel should only be taken if an emergency and advises against all unnecessary trips.

I have a Spirit flight booked and want to cancel it. The website states they will offer a 6 month voucher but that's no good to me as I will not be able to make my trip there this year. Cancellation option adds a massive number of fees as the ticket was originally non-refundable. I have messaged and emailed them and no response but want to know if there is any advice on what I can do to get a refund from them given the circumstances.

Any advice folks?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If NK cancels the flight or it is substantially delayed, you will be entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment. You have not provided a date of travel, but I would do nothing until then as most carriers are radically adjusting their frequencies and your flight may very well end up being one of them.

If, however, your flight is not cancelled, it will be down to your travel insurance as the offer of a credit / voucher is purely voluntary on NK's part. Don't forget that there are many people for whom a future date is useless, having nothing to do with their citizenship.

If you do want to take a run at NK, you must call. But, do not expect anything as I would not expect NK agents to have any authority to vary from policy.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:49 am

Since Spirit does not serve the UK or anywhere outside the Americas the flight must be for locations within the US. Spirit would therefor only be bound by the regulations where the flight originates and terminates. As the situation in the US is very fluid and could change before next month I would wait until closer to the scheduled flight and see if things change. It is possible the flight will be rescheduled or even cancelled or some government action will make refunds available.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

Yes sorry, the flight isn’t until May 4 (JFK-TPA) so it’s a way off yet. I’ll sit tight and can always then use my insurance for a refund.

Thanks for the help.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Yes sorry, the flight isn’t until May 4 (JFK-TPA) so it’s a way off yet. I’ll sit tight and can always then use my insurance for a refund.

Thanks for the help.
Spirit doesn't fly into JFK. Do you mean EWR or LGA?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beyondhere
Spirit doesn't fly into JFK. Do you mean EWR or LGA?
Sorry - yes! My flight from the UK gets into JFK (or did) some days before. Thanks for spotting the obvious error!!
Old Mar 17, 2020, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Often1
If NK cancels the flight or it is substantially delayed, you will be entitled to a full refund to your original form of payment. You have not provided a date of travel, but I would do nothing until then as most carriers are radically adjusting their frequencies and your flight may very well end up being one of them.

If, however, your flight is not cancelled, it will be down to your travel insurance as the offer of a credit / voucher is purely voluntary on NK's part. Don't forget that there are many people for whom a future date is useless, having nothing to do with their citizenship.

If you do want to take a run at NK, you must call. But, do not expect anything as I would not expect NK agents to have any authority to vary from policy.
Can't really add much more than this. A budget carrier is always going to give you some grief, so I would tend to prefer travel insurance, especially as the offered solution doesn't work for you. Spirit is (rightfully not interested in your citizenship or reasons for not travelling.) But this may all be moot as the likelihood of a cancellation grows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.