Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air North is good

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2023, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aliquot
An agreement with AS would be nice (even better, restore the scheduled service to FAI while they are at it).
Indeed, it is a shame that there is no more cross-border service from Whitehorse. It was a thing many years ago. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the big hurdle is. Is Alaska Airlines not interested in having Air North as a feeder? Is the Canadian border checkpoint in Whitehose too expensive to staff? Is it the processing times with US CBP in Fairbanks or Anchorage?

There was a smaller carrier, Alaska Seaplanes, connecting Whitehorse and Juneau. It was too pricey for joyrides, and COVID killed that route, too.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by sokolov
Indeed, it is a shame that there is no more cross-border service from Whitehorse. It was a thing many years ago. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the big hurdle is. Is Alaska Airlines not interested in having Air North as a feeder? Is the Canadian border checkpoint in Whitehose too expensive to staff? Is it the processing times with US CBP in Fairbanks or Anchorage?

There was a smaller carrier, Alaska Seaplanes, connecting Whitehorse and Juneau. It was too pricey for joyrides, and COVID killed that route, too.
I think AS feed from 4N via Vancouver and perhaps Edmonton/Calgary would make the most sense to their points south.
Old Feb 16, 2023, 11:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
I think AS feed from 4N via Vancouver and perhaps Edmonton/Calgary would make the most sense to their points south.
That is already available, in a way. You just buy your AS ticket from Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna, Edmonton, or Calgary to wherever you want, and Air North will fly you thither for $99 oneway, 2 pc of luggage included. However, you have to recheck your luggage. (They interline with Air Canada (national flights only), Air Transat, Philippine Airlines, and probably Canadian North, but AFAIK not AS.)

This also works in reverse and is called the Connector Fare. You can connect the same day, but Air North is fine with up to 3 days layover. (If you book less then 7 days out, the fee is not $99 but $150 oneway.)

This is one of the best offers in the Canadian market.

Last edited by sokolov; Mar 12, 2023 at 12:47 am
Old Mar 12, 2023, 12:48 am
Original Poster

It has come to my attention that Air North is now able to operate cross-border charter flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.