Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US International Departure Tax Scam?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2018, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

US International Departure Tax Scam?

I recently booked an award ticket on Spirit Airlines. Apparently, they have very recently started collecting the US International Arrival and Departure taxes of $18.30 per segment on award tickets. I've extensively used international awards on Spirit (as well as other carriers) in the past and have never had to pay this fee. Does the government assess this fee to all carriers on international award tickets and do most airlines cover this for us? Or is Spirit pulling a fast one?
Old May 2, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: United Premier 1K
I think it's pretty common for airlines to pass on any government taxes/fees for award tickets. For example, I was charged the US Customs and US Immigration fees (among other fees) on a recent United award ticket. If Spirit didn't charge you before, I suspect it was an error.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:00 pm
Original Poster

Taxes

I know that departure taxes from other countries are usually passed on to the passenger. But for the US departure tax, I think most US airlines cover it on intl award tickets. On the outbound portion of UA awards, I've usually only had to pay the $5.60 security fee plus any applicable PFC. Out of curiosity, what routing did you have to pay the US departure tax on?
Old May 2, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K
Originally Posted by coolc7116
I know that departure taxes from other countries are usually passed on to the passenger. But for the US departure tax, I think most US airlines cover it on intl award tickets. On the outbound portion of UA awards, I've usually only had to pay the $5.60 security fee plus any applicable PFC. Out of curiosity, what routing did you have to pay the US departure tax on?
Thank you for the correction. You may actually be correct. I was looking at the trip *into* the US and at the customs and immigration fee..

I just tried a dummy points reservation on UA from EWR to LHR and indeed the only charge is September 11th fee.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

I knew the US had a customs tax, but I never knew we had an international departure tax, because no other airlines asses it on award tickets. That being said, I wonder if the feds actually collect a departure tax from the airlines on award tickets at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.