Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Volaris for the first time, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2017, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, American
Flying Volaris for the first time, any tips?

Hey guys, I know theres lots of places were people leave reviews for airlines, however, I wanted to hear from seasoned travelers as your opinion matters more to me.

My concerned is that I am now used to a very easy check in process that I am assuming will not have once I fly on volaris where I hold zero status.

Any shockers? anything out of ordinary? I have traveled with Aeromexico and Mexicana (back in the day) before and their employees have never been kind, maybe its a cultural thing. Should I expect that with Volaris? or this more of a RyanAir situation?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by ec6863
Hey guys, I know theres lots of places were people leave reviews for airlines, however, I wanted to hear from seasoned travelers as your opinion matters more to me.

My concerned is that I am now used to a very easy check in process that I am assuming will not have once I fly on volaris where I hold zero status.

Any shockers? anything out of ordinary? I have traveled with Aeromexico and Mexicana (back in the day) before and their employees have never been kind, maybe its a cultural thing. Should I expect that with Volaris? or this more of a RyanAir situation?
I fly them a couple of times a month... mostly SFO-MEX-SFO.
You can get the boarding pass on your phone by checking-in through their app (but make sure to be at the gate a few minutes before boarding and have them check your passport, otherwise you will be stopped later... If you are checking bags, this will be done at that point... i'm talking in the carry-on only case). When traveling within Mexico, you should bring your boarding pass printed already (or mobile) if you plan to see a representative before going thru security (i.e. checking bags), otherwise they may charge you to print it for you.

They have no status whatsoever, don't worry, just people holding their co-branded credit card or paid for the service will board before you, which in my experience are less than 15 per flight.

No bad experiences with their flight attendants, although you wont be able to use your headphones on the ground and they will be actively catching people doing it and asking to remove them (that's the only thing what bothers me a little).

No internet, no screens, no power sockets i think (not sure as i really never had to use it before, so haven't checked)... BYOD with your own content.

You will most likely pay for your carry-on (2 small pieces i.e. backpack/suitcase/purse size are included/free) if weighting more than 10kg combined IIRC or checked bag if you dont have their co-branded card. They NEVER weight carry-on... so don't worry about going over 10kg, but the size will matter and most likely will check if you paid for bigger carry-on or not... so careful with trying to sneak one,

USA to Mexico flights (not the other way, though) don't offer meals, just snacks and soft drinks for purchase and free water. Cash and major cards accepted.

Always departing late, arriving on-time or before schedule... but that's very tipical on all airlines... they put extra time on their flights to allocate for delays.

I'm very satisfied honestly for what i pay with them, although i do hold their co-branded card, which makes it better and cheaper (free big extra carry-on with no weight limit additional to the 2 small ones already included, free 1st checked bag, and group 1 boarding)...

Tell me if that helps

PS: Aeromexico suckzzzzzz. The attendants at Volaris are younger (mid to late 20's) being a relatively fast growing company and how easy is to work for them (obviously they get paid less, work more, and have less perks than Aeromexico for example). Getting into Aeromexico requires years and years of ground work to have the chance to work in the cabin (and need to make "merits" with the union). By then you are grumpy haha... and Volaris itself feels fresher, more customer oriented.

Last edited by RamiPow; Sep 14, 2017 at 8:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.