Wiki Posts
Search

AM (Aeroméxico): Best J 788 / 789 Seats

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
AM (Aeroméxico): Best J 788 / 789 Seats

Hi, I have my first flights ever on AM coming up next month. On the SCL-MEX leg I'll be on the 789 with 1-2-1, and on the way back on the 788 with the 2-2-2 configs. Both of them have "mini-cabins" in the back - row 10 on the 789 and row 6 on the 788. Any benefit to these rows, or are they noisy? Any recommendations for "best" seats?

¡Mil gracias!

Last edited by zpaul; Mar 21, 2017 at 11:55 am
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:53 am

Programs: SK Gold (*G)
I came to this sub-forum only to start a thread with the exact same question. I can't find any info on the best J seat on AM 789. There don't seem to be any reviews on AM 789 and the cabin setup in J is unlike any other dreamliner I've came across before.

Just like OP I'm curious about row 10. I'm currently booked on 10A.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 5:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kajjan85
Just like OP I'm curious about row 10. I'm currently booked on 10A.
It's been crickets in here since I first posted 10 days ago. My flight on the AM 789 is Saturday night and I'm in 4J; if yours is after that I'll try to update quickly with what I find, looking at the mini-cabin during my flight. We can start answering our own questions here!
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
It's been crickets in here since I first posted 10 days ago. My flight on the AM 789 is Saturday night and I'm in 4J; if yours is after that I'll try to update quickly with what I find, looking at the mini-cabin during my flight. We can start answering our own questions here!
Haha! That'd be great. Looking forward to hear your opinion. You'll be the first one on the whole internet reviewing this J cabin it seems like

My flight in not until August.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I have not experienced the AM 787 inflight but have been onboard. You can read more here.
On the 787-8 the downside of most seats is that the foot cubby is really restrictive, depending on your length. The first row and the mini cabin have more space for your feet in the full flat mode.
I may have a look in the 787-9 next week but will not be flying. Anything particular you'd like to know?
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
I may have a look in the 787-9 next week but will not be flying. Anything particular you'd like to know?
Awesome. I'm just curious about the mini-cabin in general, and if row 10 is a good choice. And if there possibly are any seats to absolutely avoid because of misaligned windows or lesser leg room.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
Mini-cabin! Jajaja. I think we're interested in that the most since it seems to fill up last out of all of the seats, even though traditionally those can be the quietest seats. 5 of the 6 seats in the 789 mini-cabin are still open, and while they're all full now on the 788 return, again they were the last to be taken.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Hey, I can't even get any response on my 777-300 inquiry, which isn't a plane that one can find that AM actually operates, but I certainly have a seat map for one, with a 7 row cabin, associated with my flight.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:40 pm
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
My experience in row 6 on 788 was not of a quiet nature because there was a infant in the first Y bulkhead bassinet--I think that would be row 8 or 9.
Crying infants can have different reactions from us all, you know your comfort level best, so proceed as warned.
Other than that I don't particularly like being so close to the lavatories so I tend to choose seats somewhere in middle of pack, both in J and Y.
Another compliant for mini-cabin is that meal options aren't so much an option by the time they reach those last few rows.
Can't recall any other observations from my flights in J mini-cabin.
Cheers
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GDL
My experience in row 6 on 788 was not of a quiet nature because there was an infant in the first Y bulkhead bassinet--I think that would be row 8 or 9.
Crying infants can have different reactions from us all, you know your comfort level best, so proceed as warned.
Other than that I don't particularly like being so close to the lavatories so I tend to choose seats somewhere in middle of pack, both in J and Y.
Another complaint for mini-cabin is that meal options aren't so much an option by the time they reach those last few rows.
Can't recall any other observations from my flights in J mini-cabin.
Cheers
Thanks, GDL! Good information. I'll stick to my seats in rows 3 and 4.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

So, on my 787-900 flight, the "mini-cabin" didn't seem to have a benefit. The FAs used both of the galleys in Premier for services preparation so there was no escape from that noise, and the lavatories are directly in front. There is nothing but the thin wall between the mini-cabin and Economy, so if there's an infant at the bassinet position, it could be uncomfortable, as GDL mentioned. I don't know if they ran out of the dinner options, but they don't take orders in advance, just at the time of service.

I really enjoyed 4J.

Service was a bit slow at the beginning, but once we got into the air it was excellent. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately, MEX ruined it by keeping us waiting for our luggage for 90 minutes AFTER we got through immigration. That's not Aeroméxico's fault, but it really took the shine off of the experience. I guess it's normal since AM even has a recording that they play letting us know about how long it will take to get bags, and making sure we know it's not their fault. Too bad.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:41 pm

So, on my 787-900 flight, the "mini-cabin" didn't seem to have a benefit. The FAs used both of the galleys in Premier for services preparation so there was no escape from that noise, and the lavatories are directly in front. There is nothing but the thin wall between the mini-cabin and Economy, so if there's an infant at the bassinet position, it could be uncomfortable, as GDL mentioned. I don't know if they ran out of the dinner options, but they don't take orders in advance, just at the time of service.

I really enjoyed 4J.

Service was a bit slow at the beginning, but once we got into the air it was excellent. I was very pleasantly surprised.

Unfortunately, MEX ruined it by keeping us waiting for our luggage for 90 minutes AFTER we got through immigration. That's not Aeroméxico's fault, but it really took the shine off of the experience. I guess it's normal since AM even has a recording that they play letting us know about how long it will take to get bags, and making sure we know it's not their fault. Too bad.
Thanks for the report. I'm gonna change my seat reservation to one in the main cabin.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
The mini cabin is of course a lot more private, has three windows and also offers some storage space on top of the seat structure, however I can imagine there is a lot of foot traffic and opening of the curtains. Indeed you are very close to Y and partition is not really sufficient.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 11:13 pm

I flying next month to mex on the 787-9. I'm at 3j. Do you know if that seat is missing a window or which seat is missing a window if so?
Old Apr 13, 2017, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Flew the return on the 787-800 which is quite nice, as well, the seats were comfortable, but there is no bar area as there is on the 789. Since there is only a functional galley with no bells and whistles between the front and back cabins, there didn't seem to be as much difference, but the mini-cabin definitely had noise from Economy.

I didn't notice the rows missing a window on the 789, but I'm pretty sure 3 and 4 have both windows (it was night both ways so I didn't really notice). On the 788 the last row of the main J cabin has only one window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.