Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AeroMexico same-day Standby question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

AeroMexico same-day Standby question

I am looking to Standby for an earlier pair of AeroMexico flights than what i have booked. Assuming space is available, is this allowed....or is this a YMMV sort of thing? Does AM charge any fee to standby?

Again, both flights on the itinerary are AeroMeico flights. In case it matters, i redeemed Delta Skypesos to book the flights.

(I tried searching FT and online, to no avail. Thanks)
Old Jan 2, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: Delta - PM , MM; Hilton - Diamond, Marriott - Peon
I’ve managed this but it comes down to the service agent (and maybe your status).
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I have zero status with AeroMexico, so this will be interesting....

In your case, did they require same fare bucket, or just Y availability?
Old Jan 3, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
My recent experience at MEX and smaller stations has been that they do it the old fashioned way -- they let you get on the earlier flight if they have the space and you are carrying your luggage. Disclaimer -- I do have SkyTeam status. It might be different in the markets they serve with heavier frequency, where you could be seen as gaming higher fares.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by medellinfein
Thanks. I have zero status with AeroMexico, so this will be interesting....

In your case, did they require same fare bucket, or just Y availability?
I never usually have Y tickets, generally less (cheapest). and I have no AM status (Delta DM).
Old Jan 4, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanglin
I never usually have Y tickets, generally less (cheapest). and I have no AM status (Delta DM).
Thanks for the datapoint. I am assuming that, despite the above, you are able to standby same-day on AM.

When you request the same-day standy, does AM ask/care about your Delta DM status?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:51 am

Thanks for the datapoint. I am assuming that, despite the above, you are able to standby same-day on AM.

When you request the same-day standy, does AM ask/care about your Delta DM status?
It's in the PNR, and sometimes I get upgraded, so they are aware.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Cool. I have no Delta status anymore, so may not work for me. Will report back with datapoint in a week :-)
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:33 am
lpy

Cool. I have no Delta status anymore, so may not work for me. Will report back with datapoint in a week :-)
Curious on your standby experience with AM. Was it successful?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by SPK11
I just booked PVR-GDL via MEX.

The PVR-MEX leg is booked for 9 PM on Feb 14
MEX-GDL is booked for 7 AM on Feb 15

I want to fly standby with no status on an earlier flight for PVR-MEX so that I can catch a concert on the 14th then get to GDL on the 15th.

Will let you all know how it goes.

NO STATUS
How did it work out for you?
Old Dec 24, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Anyone have more info here? What's AM's policy when flying on Business tickets (I)?
Old Feb 19, 2018, 7:50 am

Tried this today and AM was comically bad. Tried to move to an earlier flight and kept being sent between ticketing, reservations, and some special desk near L3. The AM employees could not have cared less about helping a business class passenger - they would just pass you off to the next desk, and then that desk would pass you back. That happened for around an hour without any results. Finally AM rep claimed they put us on standby but we should come back in 2 hours to check. Went back and told no open seats as the flight was oversold. Meanwhile Google Flights is showing open seats and so are their phone reps (phone reps wanted to charge change fees of over $200 USD per person). Decide to go to gate and try and standby old fashion way.

Worst part? Friend gets on the flight and notices some open seats. Meanwhile we are waiting at gate and told the plane is full and no seats. Plane eventually takes off with at least a few open seats, but we are not allowed to board due to it being "full". Thanks AM! Probably my first and last time flying AM. I totally get wanting to sell seats, but if you are just going to let the plane out with empty instead of putting standby passengers on then ....
kthomas likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by olouie
Tried this today and AM was comically bad. Tried to move to an earlier flight and kept being sent between ticketing, reservations, and some special desk near L3. The AM employees could not have cared less about helping a business class passenger - they would just pass you off to the next desk, and then that desk would pass you back. That happened for around an hour without any results. Finally AM rep claimed they put us on standby but we should come back in 2 hours to check. Went back and told no open seats as the flight was oversold. Meanwhile Google Flights is showing open seats and so are their phone reps (phone reps wanted to charge change fees of over $200 USD per person). Decide to go to gate and try and standby old fashion way.

Worst part? Friend gets on the flight and notices some open seats. Meanwhile we are waiting at gate and told the plane is full and no seats. Plane eventually takes off with at least a few open seats, but we are not allowed to board due to it being "full". Thanks AM! Probably my first and last time flying AM. I totally get wanting to sell seats, but if you are just going to let the plane out with empty instead of putting standby passengers on then ....
Your fare class (tourista economy, instead of classic economy) doesn't entitled you to free same day change or standby. Your gate agent was under no obligation to make the change for you even if they said they would put you on standby. This work about the same way with most US based Airlines for people flying on the cheapest Economy tickets-- no free change or standby.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mama
Your fare class (tourista economy, instead of classic economy) doesn't entitled you to free same day change or standby. Your gate agent was under no obligation to make the change for you even if they said they would put you on standby. This work about the same way with most US based Airlines for people flying on the cheapest Economy tickets-- no free change or standby.
Clase-premier tickets. Which according to the AM online site should be free for Fare I - https://world.aeromexico.com/en/trav...ilies/?site=us
Old May 21, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: DL ✈️
Data point: I had the following
EZE-LIM AR1364 (arrives 9.50pm)
Night in Lima
LIM-MEX AM47 (leaves 3.50pm, arrives 10pm)
Night in Mexico
MEX-JFK AM408 (leaves 7am)

Tried standing by for AM19 on airside (gate agent) but no luck even with her supervisor. I would be required to un-checkin and they'd charge me even though I'm DL Platinum and booked Class Premier (fare basis J-C-C-J) so, couple tips for anyone reading:

1. Don't early web check-in unless you really want your current flight.
2. Always know your fare basis.
3. Even though you may have Premier, doesn't mean it's fully changeable without fee (I will update this post if in MEX I get to change my last J leg)
4. Try anyway, you already have the no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.