Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other North and South American Airlines
Reload this Page >

Allegiant Air: We'll seat children next to a parent

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2012, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels

USA Today: Allegiant Air: We'll seat children next to a parent

I suppose this will appeal to families looking to save $$ and not spend money an ensuring seat assignments are together if only preferred seating remains.

Allegiant has changed has its check-in system so passengers under age 14 will be seated next to at least one adult traveling on the same flight.

Andrew Levy, president of Allegiant Travel, says the change won't guarantee an entire family will be seated together. But it will keep children from being separated entirely from a parent or guardian. The airline also doesn't allow unaccompanied minors to fly by themselves.

The move comes as the busy summer vacation travel season gets underway and as as airlines, including Allegiant, have increasingly begun charging fees for advanced seat assignments, even in coach class.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What if they have two parents (the adults) traveling with twelve children under age 14. It is impossible for even the majority of the children to sit next to a parent.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What if they have two parents (the adults) traveling with twelve children under age 14. It is impossible for even the majority of the children to sit next to a parent.
Maybe a nanny rule??
Old Jun 21, 2012, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've heard of airlines having rules about the ratios of very small children to adults--for instance, lap brats must be held by adults and not older children--but AFAIK you can bring as many school aged kids on a plane as you can stand or afford. I was just amused by the statement that they will always sit kids under 14 next to a parent when each parent only has two side. In narrow body 3-3 seating, when you put the parent in the middle seat, this allows for a family of two parents and at most four kids, which isn't an extraordinarily large family.
Old May 29, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rwoman
Bumping an old thread... just checked in for my first time on Allegiant and they assigned me, my wife, and our 2 year old three seats (2 of them together), none of which is a window. My understanding from dozens of flights with a kid on other airlines is that the FAA requires children in car seats to be next to the window. Allegiant doesn't seem to allow you to change seat assignments at all without a charge. Anyone with experience on what's likely to happen at the airport tomorrow?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 4:23 am

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
No response, probably because everyone avoids Allegiant like the plague. What happened, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Overall no complaints about the Allegiant experience. Flights were early, carry on personal bags were free...

I don't have any advice for future travelers with car seats because we just moved to an empty row farther back and put the seat in the window. Allegiant FAs didn't seem to much care where we put the car seat, however. This is in marked contrast to Skywest FAs who make travel on an Embrear 120 almost farcical*. They enforce no car seats in the exit row, or in the row in front or behind. That means these little planes have a total of 4 seats where you can put a car seat.

*I'm sure many would say that's the only kind of travel on these aircraft.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: Whatever gets me there faster.
Originally Posted by PDXpress
This is in marked contrast to Skywest FAs who make travel on an Embrear 120 almost farcical*. They enforce no car seats in the exit row, or in the row in front or behind. That means these little planes have a total of 4 seats where you can put a car seat.
What happened to the other 7 usable seats?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.