Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SAA First Class Lounges - what now used for?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:59 am
Original Poster

SAA First Class Lounges - what now used for?

Does anyone know what has happened to the Cycad Premium Lounge and (in LHR) the SA First Class Lounge since the demise of F (on the 747s)?

Are they now open to J passengers, *G's, etc?

Any feedback appreciated in advance of a J trip next week.^
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:34 pm
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
Originally Posted by Corpt
Does anyone know what has happened to the Cycad Premium Lounge and (in LHR) the SA First Class Lounge since the demise of F (on the 747s)?

Are they now open to J passengers, *G's, etc?

Any feedback appreciated in advance of a J trip next week.^
I have been wondering the same thing.
My guess would be that they are now used for Plats only.
But with CPT/FRA and LHR/CPT in C next week, I can only hope . I'll see what can be done in CPT (at 5am!) or at LHR (the lounge there looked very worn in July, so an 'upgrade' to the FC lounge would be nice . )
Unfortunately I am not *G
Old Dec 6, 2007, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thijsseh
LHR/CPT in C next week
I'm flying LHR/JNB in C with the family next week. May see you in the lounge...
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:45 pm

Programs: BA IHG
I'd be interested to know to, so do let us know what you both discover.
Old Dec 6, 2007, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

I actually have F booking confirmations for both the outbound and return flights, as they were originally booked in F before being down-graded following the SAA equipment change. It will be interesting to see if this makes access to the F lounges any easier.
Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:18 am

Programs: LH SEN
I passed by the Cycad (First) lounge recently in JNB and it was restricted to SAA First Passengers (???), SAA Voyager Platinum and Lufthansa HON Circle members. No access to *G.

Cheers....
Old Dec 8, 2007, 1:15 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by floris_FRA
I passed by the Cycad (First) lounge recently in JNB and it was restricted to SAA First Passengers (???), SAA Voyager Platinum and Lufthansa HON Circle members. No access to *G.

Cheers....
You can still purchase "SA F" on the EK, QF and TG codeshare flights (not sure about their codeshares on LH and LX.

BTW: The Cycad lounge is also used for * Alliance F.
Old Dec 8, 2007, 10:32 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
Originally Posted by capetonian
BTW: The Cycad lounge is also used for * Alliance F.
Really? When did this start?
Old Dec 8, 2007, 11:32 am

Programs: LH, SA, AA
Originally Posted by TravelinWilly
Really? When did this start?
LH F always (meaning after SA joined *) had access as had TG F, the only exception is LX which uses the Virgin CH. SQ doesn't fly F to SA.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 1:24 am

Programs: QRPC Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHg Diamond Amb, Sixt Diamond, Avis Pres, AmexCenturion
Angry

I have had some words with SAA on this in the past, the first class lounge is fantastic but access is now restricted to Plats and persons booked F on a codeshare with another airline.

My argument is this, I qualify three times for the business class lounge each time I travel, yet only one of me can use the lounge at a time: I always fly business, I am a gold member and I have a SAA premium credit card.

Secondly since I joined voyager in 1996, SAA is welcome to check my Voyager statement to see that every flight I ever made on a 747 was in fact in First class, about 28 sectors in 11yrs. I never once flew business or economy. In that time I spent a fortune, had I spent the same amount on Economy tickets I would definately be a lifetime plat. However one ticket last year to IAD about a week before they pulled the 747 from the route cost over 110k return. Therefore the only reason I am now flying business is because SAA has forced me to, and I feel I should qualify for First class lounge access. I would even be willing to use 10 000 miles for a lounge upgrade (should be resticted to passengers travelling J)?

any thoughts??
Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:13 am
Original Poster

I can understand them using the JNB and CPT F lounges for F code shares and/or top level SAA frequent flyers (at whatever cut-off level they choose). What though about the overseas lounges (eg LHR) where there aren't any SAA code share F flights?

It will be interesting to see how they react at LHR to our F booking confirmation printouts on a flight which subsequently has no F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.