Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "FREE" Skywards ticket costs me $115!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2003, 3:13 am
Original Member
Original Poster

My "FREE" Skywards ticket costs me $115!

I just issued an award ticket DXB-BRT-DXB and had to pay $115 in taxes and insurance! They say that the surcharge since the war in Afghanistan is still there and that there is no plans to scrap that yet.The distance between DXB & BRT is like 2.5 hrs and thats like BKK-HKG.If I were to buy a ticket from Bkk to Hkg return,I could get it for like $140 and here I am issuing an award ticket and having to pay $115 in taxes.

What got me really ticked off is that when I used UA miles for the same sector on Emirates,I had to pay $42 in taxes and for using Skywards miles,I had to pay $115! Why are they charging us more for using skywards miles is beyond my comprehension. Anyone care to educate me?

What was great though was that skywards gave me the free ticket seat even though the flight was quite full.I couldn't get a revenue seat but could get the award seat so in that respect I think Skywards is great.
Old Jul 6, 2003, 11:25 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I assume that you are going DXB-BEY-DXB. If you are then the taxes should are $47.30 at today's exchange rate. $34 for Lebanon tax, $10.00 security charge, plus $3.30 in additional tax. If the ticket has to be couriered to you or you are ordering it at the last minute, then an additional $50 charge applies. You could always try to call them again if you are booking more than 7 days in advance and ask them for a tax breakdown. Most likely, you are getting charged for something other than the taxes.
Old Jul 8, 2003, 12:56 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I ordered the ticket 10 days in adavance and the there were no courier charges.Thats what is getting me tickes off.When I used UA miles,I paid $42 in taxes but by using Skywards miles,I had to pay $115!They say these are all taxes and insurance surcharges.
Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:10 pm

Programs: EK Gold, BA Silver, IHC Plat, HERTZ gold, GF Gold, SAS Silver
Nothing to do with the ticket you actually got, but I have Emirates, Skywards Gold as as a Gold member you are guarenteed a seat on any flight you show up with. December the 26th 2002, I rocked up to BHX with a Y class rewards ticket back to DXB, dated for the following day. I was assured that i did not have to change it as I would get on. I got there and the flight was oversold (a usual occurance).. Needless to say i was left stood in the Airport as the flight left on-time, I stood and watched them check in families of 4 and 5 20 minutes before the flight left! Rewards tickets are the lowest of the low with EK. Staff ID tickets even get priority! It does state that anyone who has "purchased" a ticket will be guarenteed! Technically, with the 600'000 miles plus that i have accumulated with Emirates that must account for something? but no!
Old Jul 16, 2003, 9:24 pm
Original Member

Doesn't it make you sick!!!

My Free Portland-Capetown-Portland with stop in London on Ba cost $245.00 for the taxes and fees.

I remember the days when all we had to pay was $3.00 US departure tax, the early 80's I believe.

Marvella

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.