Wiki Posts
Search

AA miles used to get ElAl ticket question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2003, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
AA miles used to get ElAl ticket question

I'm flying to Zurich on AA then Israel on El Al. Used 90,000 miles to go business class. All segments are Bus. or FC, except for the segment from Zurich to Tel Aviv.

I was told that AA gets only a certain number of "free" tickets in Business, and these were used up. When I get to Zurich do I have any chance at all of getting into Busines if there are empty seats?

Old Jun 20, 2003, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
You MIGHT. The reason for this is that the number of business seats available for award tickets is a "capacity control." This means they don't want too many seats in the cabin to fill up due to free tickets. You probably are familiar with this scheme; it sucks.

Anyway, El Al is extremely generous with their frequent flyer program; there are NO capacity controls for their own program.

Hence, while AA may not have been able to book you a FC or BC seat during ticketing, you may have a bit more luck by calling up LY's offices and explaining you are on a business class award ticket and "for some odd reason" you don't have a seat assignment in BC for a segment. They are likely to be very accommodating.

Please reply and let us know how you made out.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 4:28 pm

Interesting. I thought that AA wards to Israel were only connecting with BA. I know that EL AL participate and that if u go all the way with LY they require more miles than with AA transatlantic.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 7:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Last year, using AA miles I booked RT from
JFK to TLV on El Al. The other option with AA miles is Iberia.

I simply couldn't get the travel dates I wanted so had them fool around with connections until I pieced together the trip I wanted. Thus the mix of AA to Europe, El Al to Israel.

Regarding points:
All airlines business class and FC awards are the same amount. In coach, Iberia is cheaper during "prime time". Other airlines are the same. Also, "off-peak" varies greatly in dates and points, the cheapest being 50K for coach during the winter.

[This message has been edited by Thumper (edited 06-25-2003).]
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:35 pm

I thought El Al transatlantic was more than AA/LY or AA/BA etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.