Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Airways Asante number in DL booking

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2023, 2:09 am
Original Poster

Kenya Airways Asante number in DL booking

Since the Kenya Airways switch to Asante, I'm not able to add my number in a DL booking. Did anyone find a way to do it? DL chat even told me that they are not partners, so I'm not seeing that as a reliable source of information.

Perhaps we have to wait for the DL IT to catch up (still says Flying Blue and complains about an invalid number), but I'd like to be able to use this sooner rather than later
Old Aug 22, 2023, 4:24 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by danam
Since the Kenya Airways switch to Asante, I'm not able to add my number in a DL booking. Did anyone find a way to do it? DL chat even told me that they are not partners, so I'm not seeing that as a reliable source of information.

Perhaps we have to wait for the DL IT to catch up (still says Flying Blue and complains about an invalid number), but I'd like to be able to use this sooner rather than later
On Kenya website they only show AF and KLM as parents currently.
danam likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 12:59 pm

DL chat even told me that they are not partners, so I'm not seeing that as a reliable source of information.
Correct. Delta is not a partner of Kenya Airways Asante Rewards for either earning or redemption.
danam likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

OK, so I guess they haven't straightened out their new Asante scheme then. I won't be crediting any flights there for a while or actually risking any further Skyteam bookings, I don't want to be paying for baggage on partners when I can use a different airline.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 2:19 pm

OK, so I guess they haven't straightened out their new Asante scheme then. I won't be crediting any flights there for a while or actually risking any further Skyteam bookings, I don't want to be paying for baggage on partners when I can use a different airline.
Skyteam doesn't require all member airlines to have partnerships with each other (they carved this exception out because of concerns over Saudi Arabia's human rights record and Saudia's membership), although I do understand that KQ/DL are planning to have their agreement in place by October. However, it is quite likely that Asante will not be recognised by a number of other alliance members.
Old Aug 23, 2023, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. My view of Skyteam was a little simplistic.

I'm not overly concerned about miles, more about seat selection/baggage which is hard to select in advance without being able to add your number to a booking. I don't like arriving at the airport and just hoping that the baggage benefit is applied.

Thanks again for the information, I thought it was very strange that DL wouldn't consider a Skyteam member as a partner but it's clearer now.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 9:57 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Skyteam doesn't require all member airlines to have partnerships with each other
Is SkyTeam the only alliance like this, or?
Also, does this mean they don't have to acknowledge the Elite+ status?
That really seems like not much of an alliance if it is just a group of airlines that can choose to have agreements with each other or not...
B747-437B likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
Is SkyTeam the only alliance like this, or? Also, does this mean they don't have to acknowledge the Elite+ status?
That really seems like not much of an alliance if it is just a group of airlines that can choose to have agreements with each other or not...
Yes, I don't believe either oneworld or Star Alliance have this exception. And yes, Skyteam airlines can therefore indirectly choose what benefits they offer to whichever partner's elite members.
Jetboi likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: Eurobonus
I matched with Asante to get Gold and feel that this entire story is undressing Skyteam as an alliance unfit for my money. All this "non cooperation" just sounds cheap and why would I put my money on something cheap?
B747-437B and estrela like this.
Old Aug 27, 2023, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Jetboi
I matched with Asante to get Gold and feel that this entire story is undressing Skyteam as an alliance unfit for my money. All this "non cooperation" just sounds cheap and why would I put my money on something cheap?
ITA's Volare dance has been going on for something like 2 years. In that time they managed to get a couple of fellow Skyteam members to reciprocate on benefits, but I think none of them work on mutual allocation of miles/rewards.
B747-437B likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 11:38 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, DL Gold, QF Gold, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, WoH Explorist, Shangri-la Jade
I just tried adding my Asante number to my upcoming DL flight today and lo and behold - the Delta system accepted it!!!

It still says Kenya Airways/Flying Blue but it looks like they are now connected. Just to experiment, I tired entering my Asante number as a 'flying blue' number - errored out as expected (please enter a valid frequent flyer number).

Looks like we are close to an announcement!
IAN-UK, B747-437B, Anish and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 21, 2023, 10:53 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Yes, I don't believe either oneworld or Star Alliance have this exception. And yes, Skyteam airlines can therefore indirectly choose what benefits they offer to whichever partner's elite members.
not in the same way but Qatar premium lounge and lounge policy is a grey zone too.
Old Sep 23, 2023, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by frenchft
not in the same way but Qatar premium lounge and lounge policy is a grey zone too.
to be honest and fair to QR and OneWorld, the exceptional nature of Qatar's and BA's ultra-premium lounges is well laid out and widely promulgated.

Both carriers provide alternatives, not super-luxe, but perfectly adequate.

Maybe QR's Bangkok facility is a puzzle, but there are much nicer lounges at BKK.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 8:10 am

Hi DreamHigh, wondering if you had a SkyPriority boarding pass automatically? I'm flying DL from LHR in a month with Asante... Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2023, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Qatar Gold, Vistara Gold
Wondering if anybody has been able to successfully add Asante Gold to Delta and use all the Skyteam Elite Plus benefits like priority check-in, bags and seating? I have a bunch of domestic travel coming up within the US next spring and would prefer to book Delta if I can access ST Elite+.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.