Wiki Posts
Search

Interlining Bags

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2023, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN A+ Preffered CP, DL SK GOld, AA Gold
Interlining Bags

I'm taking a trip to Rwanda and going on a Gorilla Trek. Been looking at flights to return home to the States and can't seem to find an answer to interlining bags. If I book my flight from KGL, I can't make it to my home destination of either LAX or SAN. I can book it on 2 different Reservations. The best choice is to fly KGL to NBO on either WB or KQ. From there I'm debating over several options, ranging from BA, EK or LH. I'm going to book in J. I can't get an answer if WB will check my bags all the way through. I've emailed the TA in South Africa and they haven't been able to confirm if they will will not check them all the way through. . Is there a website or some type of resource that could answer this question? Thnx in advance.
Old Apr 21, 2023, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No first hand experience with this airline. I suppose it depends on the check-in agent at KGL if he/she is prepared to tag the bag all the way to final destination when on separate tickets. Some do it, some refuse/don't want to spend time on it. I doubt you will get on "official" answer, and even if you do, it will be up to the checkin agent that you approach in KGL.

Would you be able to enter Kenya (visa required?) and would you have enough time to collect the bag from the luggage belt and proceed to check-in counters at NBO? If yes, I wouldn't worry about it and if the check-in agent at KGL agrees to tag to final destination, it is just a big plus.
Old Apr 22, 2023, 8:32 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
WB and QR have a very close relationship (including mutual codeshare flights). I don't know if booking from KGL through DOH and back to your destination works for you either based on schedule or cost. But it shoudl pretty much guarantee being able to check your bags through to you final destination.

https://www.rwandair.com/information...e-partnership/
Old Apr 24, 2023, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

SK AAR, I've been assuming that it's going to be entirely up to the Agent in KGL, I was trying to find something in writing. I start by trip in Kenya with 2 quick safari's and the Visa should cover the entire 3 weeks I'm in Africa.

Cheltzel, QR has the flights and total travel time that work, so that is an option. The only concern that I have is that the layover in DOH is an hour. I haven't traveled on QR nor been to DOH. I am intrigued by the good things I've heard and read. I would consider myself an experienced traveler but leery of the time. They are also $1,200 more than the other airlines I'm looking at booking. I personally like EK, used them a few times. They have a 4 hour layover but I could use a shower and get ready for the LAX leg. LH has a 8 hour layover in FRA and BA/AA has a double connect, LHR and DFW. Thnx for the replies. WV

Last edited by winston vickers; Apr 24, 2023 at 8:09 pm
Old Apr 25, 2023, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by winston vickers
SK AAR, I've been assuming that it's going to be entirely up to the Agent in KGL, I was trying to find something in writing. I start by trip in Kenya with 2 quick safari's and the Visa should cover the entire 3 weeks I'm in Africa.

Cheltzel, QR has the flights and total travel time that work, so that is an option. The only concern that I have is that the layover in DOH is an hour. I haven't traveled on QR nor been to DOH. I am intrigued by the good things I've heard and read. I would consider myself an experienced traveler but leery of the time. They are also $1,200 more than the other airlines I'm looking at booking. I personally like EK, used them a few times. They have a 4 hour layover but I could use a shower and get ready for the LAX leg. LH has a 8 hour layover in FRA and BA/AA has a double connect, LHR and DFW. Thnx for the replies. WV
I've flown on QR (and transited through DOH) multiple times. If you get QSuites it is one of the best business class hard and soft products currently flying. I can't speak to the costs and your budget but I did a few searches and it looks like KGL-DOH-LAX is one of the cheaper business class one way fares between KGL and LAX. But it has the short layover (1:35) layover in DOH.

Update:

I was playing around on the QR website and found that you can book it as a multi-city trip (KGL-DOH and then DOH-LAX). You can add a day in DOH for about the same fare as the one described above. It would allow you and your party to spend a day in DOH (if that is of any interest to you). I've done it with my wife and we found it pleasant and interesting. We did a little walking around in the Souk Wakif and spent a few hours in the Museum of Islamic Art. The taxis and hotel were relatively cheap.

Last edited by cheltzel; Apr 25, 2023 at 8:07 am
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

WB only flies KGL to DOH every other day. My Trek ends on a day with no flights. After going back and forth, finally told myself, it's a great way to end a once in a lifetime adventure so I booked the QR in QSuites. Booked WB KGL to NBO and QR from NBO to DOH to SFO and connecting to AS to SAN. Thanx!
Old Apr 28, 2023, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by winston vickers
WB only flies KGL to DOH every other day. My Trek ends on a day with no flights. After going back and forth, finally told myself, it's a great way to end a once in a lifetime adventure so I booked the QR in QSuites. Booked WB KGL to NBO and QR from NBO to DOH to SFO and connecting to AS to SAN. Thanx!
If you haven't flown QSuites before you are in for a real treat! Enjoy!
winston vickers likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA L.T. Plat; UA Platinum
After you have flown Q-suites, no aircraft will ever be acceptable to you! 1 hour in Doha is close. The big thing to keep in mind about QR is that they strictly enforce cabin baggage weight limits. Since I've switched from OneWorld to Sgtar Alliance, I'm no longer flying QR which is a disapointment. I've flown to Africa on SN, ET and TK and while they are all good (TK is the best), they don't compare to Q-Suites. I have often had to extend stays a day on either end because of flight schedules. I just write it up to "It's Africa. Hakuna matata."
Old Apr 29, 2023, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by nsoltz
After you have flown Q-suites, no aircraft will ever be acceptable to you! 1 hour in Doha is close. The big thing to keep in mind about QR is that they strictly enforce cabin baggage weight limits. Since I've switched from OneWorld to Sgtar Alliance, I'm no longer flying QR which is a disapointment. I've flown to Africa on SN, ET and TK and while they are all good (TK is the best), they don't compare to Q-Suites. I have often had to extend stays a day on either end because of flight schedules. I just write it up to "It's Africa. Hakuna matata."
I am seeing some decent deals on KL form North America to Africa. They are introducing a refurb version of their 777-300ER aircraft with a 1-2-1 business class with doored suites. Might become a true contender.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.