Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

What's it like flying on ET during this pandemic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, *A Gold

As the title says, how is it?
I see on the Ethiopian website that masks are compulsory at all times, what about food and drink/alcohol is it served in business class and are the lounges open in ADD ?
Also is there food and drink/alcohol available in the lounges.

Thanks for any info.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: LH FTL, FB Gold
Originally Posted by ironmouse
As the title says, how is it?
I see on the Ethiopian website that masks are compulsory at all times, what about food and drink/alcohol is it served in business class and are the lounges open in ADD ?
Also is there food and drink/alcohol available in the lounges.

Thanks for any info.
Yes food and drinks served in business class, and two lounges with limited food (but self service so I did not try anything) but with drinks open in ADD. Mask compulsory, I flew a few weeks back, there were as many PAX in Eco as in Biz. I think we were max 30 on a 788 ADD - VIE.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles, SkyMiles
A few people recently have mentioned the IFE has been switched off - not sure if it's across the board or just specific flights.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mr.Potato
Yes food and drinks served in business class, and two lounges with limited food (but self service so I did not try anything) but with drinks open in ADD. Mask compulsory, I flew a few weeks back, there were as many PAX in Eco as in Biz. I think we were max 30 on a 788 ADD - VIE.
Thanks for the info. All good to know
Old Aug 14, 2020, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by b_magee
A few people recently have mentioned the IFE has been switched off - not sure if it's across the board or just specific flights.
Strange, maybe because of the touch screen - cross infection or something?
Old Aug 15, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: LH FTL, FB Gold
Yes IFE was turned off on both my ET flights, even though the screen was on when boarding. Saving costs ? Is that even a thing ?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 6:20 pm

Any idea which hotels are being used for overnight transit passengers in Addis right now? Skylight still in use for Business Claas?
Old Sep 6, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
How strict are ET with wearing masks at all times?

Some relatives with young children need to get back to where they live and work and are concerned about the 2, 4, and 6 year old being able to keep a mask on.

Their itinerary would be ET575 ORD-ADD (13h 45m) followed by ET905 ADD-NSI (4h).

Their other best option would be Air France.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 8:43 am

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Any idea which hotels are being used for overnight transit passengers in Addis right now? Skylight still in use for Business Claas?

Skylight is being used as a quarantine facility for incoming arrivals into Ethiopia. Not sure if there's a section of the hotel which still serves business transit passengers, however
Old Sep 16, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Mr.Potato
Yes IFE was turned off on both my ET flights, even though the screen was on when boarding. Saving costs ? Is that even a thing ?
What did you do onboard for those very long flights if IFE wasn't on? I can't imagine being on a 16 hour TATL flight without entertainment. That seems unconscionable to not provide a major service on their flights.
Old Sep 18, 2020, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by ET359
Skylight is being used as a quarantine facility for incoming arrivals into Ethiopia. Not sure if there's a section of the hotel which still serves business transit passengers, however
Spoke with ET Country Manager today and she confirmed Skylight is in use for Cloud Nine transit pax.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 6:57 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
B747-437B - did your ET contact mention if this was related to changes in quarantine requirements for Ethiopia? The deal was either -ve PCR test pre-arrival and 14 days self-isolation, or no test pre-arrival and 7 days quarantine then 7 days self-isolation (assuming -ve test on arrival). According to the ET website, there is now a mandatory -ve PCR test dated within 5 days to board the flight, but no mention of self-isolation, as of today.

I may be heading to Addis in November, and not having to sit in a hotel for a fortnight would be very welcome!
Old Sep 23, 2020, 2:32 pm

I'm flying on Friday with an overnight in Addis, so will find out and post here.

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
B747-437B - did your ET contact mention if this was related to changes in quarantine requirements for Ethiopia? The deal was either -ve PCR test pre-arrival and 14 days self-isolation, or no test pre-arrival and 7 days quarantine then 7 days self-isolation (assuming -ve test on arrival). According to the ET website, there is now a mandatory -ve PCR test dated within 5 days to board the flight, but no mention of self-isolation, as of today.
I may be heading to Addis in November, and not having to sit in a hotel for a fortnight would be very welcome!
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:38 am

Ok, two bits of info.

1) For overnight transit, those who have a PCR dated within 5 days are free to enter Ethiopia at will without any quarantine requirement. Those who do not will be sent to a "quarantine hotel" (currently Skylight, Ghion and maybe some others).

2) Passengers in Economy Class can "upgrade" their transit hotel to Skylight for $50 extra (https://www.ethiopianskylighthotel.c...sit-passengers)
uanj likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by susiesan
What did you do onboard for those very long flights if IFE wasn't on? I can't imagine being on a 16 hour TATL flight without entertainment. That seems unconscionable to not provide a major service on their flights.
This may come as a huge surprise, but commercial aviation managed without IFE for most of its existence, and passengers somehow survived the experience. They managed to entertain themselves, e.g. with books, magazines, decks of cards, crossword puzzles and other games, etc. Most humans are creative and inventive enough to think of a way of avoiding boredom at 33,000 ft. Heck, until quite recently they even managed without cell phones, the Internet, wifi or social media.

Johan
B747-437B likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.