Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

why is ET 834 WDH-ADD an hour longer after April 1?

why is ET 834 WDH-ADD an hour longer after April 1?

Old Jul 2, 20, 12:42 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,314
why is ET 834 WDH-ADD an hour longer after April 1?

Why is ET 834 WDH-ADD flight time 5hours 50 minutes duration prior to April 1, 2021 and 6hours 50 minutes duration after April 1? Why is that flight taking an hour longer to fly? The extra hour is causing all TATL ADD flights to North America have less than 1 hour connections times at ADD.

Can someone explain why ET is doing this? My connection time is only 30 minutes and I am concerned I may not make it even though I am ticketed.
susiesan is offline  
Old Jul 3, 20, 1:20 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: WAW and DUS
Programs: Gold: Flying blue / Silver: Club Accor
Posts: 1,090
did take off and landing times changed ???
any changes in african skies ? like a country not authorizing ET to use their airspace ??
fifty_two is offline  
Old Jul 3, 20, 6:43 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,824
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
Why is ET 834 WDH-ADD flight time 5hours 50 minutes duration prior to April 1, 2021 and 6hours 50 minutes duration after April 1? Why is that flight taking an hour longer to fly? The extra hour is causing all TATL ADD flights to North America have less than 1 hour connections times at ADD. Can someone explain why ET is doing this? My connection time is only 30 minutes and I am concerned I may not make it even though I am ticketed.
ET's schedule team does not seem to understand the concept of time zones properly. This happens all the time. They will eventually realise it and fix it.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Jul 3, 20, 7:36 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,314
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
ET's schedule team does not seem to understand the concept of time zones properly. This happens all the time. They will eventually realise it and fix it.
By then it will be too late to get award tickets on the flights that best line up with the WDH-ADD segment. The best connection is ET 574 ADD-ORD that departs at 10:50pm. If ET 834 were to arrive at the earlier time of 9:20pm instead of 10:20 pm after April 1 I could use the Chicago flight. because of ET's schedule their times populate into UA's award booking calendar. I find it hard to believe ET would not be aware of such a major glitch on their system, not to be aware of time zones.

Take off time from WDH is the same in every month, it is the landing time at ADD that is different after April 1 through the rest of the months now showing as available to book.
susiesan is offline  
Old Jul 3, 20, 2:16 pm
  #5  
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 12,911
Arrow

Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
ET's schedule team does not seem to understand the concept of time zones properly. This happens all the time. They will eventually realise it and fix it.
Indeed, someone probably forgot that ET does not observe DST when updating the schedule for the new A/C type:

[KVS Tool 9.9.6/Diamond - Timetable]
Code:
WDH  Windhoek Hosea Kutako Intl NA [FYWH]
ADD  Addis Ababa Bole ET [HAAB]
MON  29 Mar 2021 - 04 Apr 2021

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Meals | Miles   Kms | Codeshare
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  -------------------------------------------------------------------
ET         834     WDH   14:30     ADD   21:20     788  0   1------     05:50           2       L        2613  4205
ET         834     WDH   14:30     ADD   22:20     77L  0   --3-5-7     06:50           2       L        2613  4205
SW         729     WDH   17:30     JNB   19:15     319  0   1234567     10:55                             724  1165
 -> ET     858     JNB   23:00     ADD   05:25 +1  788  0                       A       2       D        2530  4072
SW         727     WDH   17:35     JNB   19:20     319  0   --3----     10:50                             724  1165
 -> ET     858     JNB   23:00     ADD   05:25 +1  788  0                       A       2       D        2530  4072
KVS is offline  
Old Jul 3, 20, 6:44 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,314
Originally Posted by KVS View Post
Indeed, someone probably forgot that ET does not observe DST when updating the schedule for the new A/C type:

[KVS Tool 9.9.6/Diamond - Timetable]
Code:
WDH Windhoek Hosea Kutako Intl NA [FYWH]
ADD Addis Ababa Bole ET [HAAB]
MON 29 Mar 2021 - 04 Apr 2021

Carrier Flight From Depart To Arrive A/C St Frequency | Dur'n | Dep T | Arr T | Meals | Miles Kms | Codeshare
--------- ------ ---- -------- ---- -------- --- -- -------------------------------------------------------------------
ET 834 WDH 14:30 ADD 21:20 788 0 1------ 05:50 2 L 2613 4205
ET 834 WDH 14:30 ADD 22:20 77L 0 --3-5-7 06:50 2 L 2613 4205
SW 729 WDH 17:30 JNB 19:15 319 0 1234567 10:55 724 1165
-> ET 858 JNB 23:00 ADD 05:25 +1 788 0 A 2 D 2530 4072
SW 727 WDH 17:35 JNB 19:20 319 0 --3---- 10:50 724 1165
-> ET 858 JNB 23:00 ADD 05:25 +1 788 0 A 2 D 2530 4072
So what does this mean? At some point will ET change the flight arrival and duration time of ET 834 or does it actually take an hour longer with the different aircraft. Is there anyway to be notified if this happens? Who will let ET know they have a major schedule glitch I their system, who is paying attention at ET? Then I could get back to the US on ET 574 ADD-ORD that connects with UA 2438 ORD-MCI, total travel time of 30h45m. This is the routing ticket I had for September before I postponed the trip to May 2021 as going to Namibia this year wasn't going to happen since the border is still closed to international flights.
susiesan is offline  
Old Jul 4, 20, 2:19 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: YSJ, IAD, LLW
Programs: Aeroplan, ShebaMiles
Posts: 91
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
So what does this mean? At some point will ET change the flight arrival and duration time of ET 834 or does it actually take an hour longer with the different aircraft. Is there anyway to be notified if this happens? Who will let ET know they have a major schedule glitch I their system, who is paying attention at ET? Then I could get back to the US on ET 574 ADD-ORD that connects with UA 2438 ORD-MCI, total travel time of 30h45m. This is the routing ticket I had for September before I postponed the trip to May 2021 as going to Namibia this year wasn't going to happen since the border is still closed to international flights.
It means that it will get updated eventually.... patience.

Schedules for ET are normally loaded 11-12 months out, so schedule changes are not uncommon for the first few weeks after release. I would guess COVID issues will only add to this in the months that follow, so you may need to get comfortable with a bit of ambiguity for a flight that is scheduled 11 months from now. A wait and see approach for a few months or so may be needed.
b_magee is offline  
Old Jul 4, 20, 6:10 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Exile
Posts: 14,824
Originally Posted by susiesan View Post
Who will let ET know they have a major schedule glitch I their system, who is paying attention at ET?
You can tell ET this till you are blue in the face but they will insist they are correct. Until the one or two people who actually know what is going on notice it and fix it. Maybe tomorrow, maybe six months from now. It will be sorted before the flight time. Sometimes even on the morning of the flight when they open checkin and realise the time is listed wrong.

As b_magee said, just be patient. This is ET. This kinda stuff happens more often than not. It will be fine in the end.

Since this is S21 schedule, I will guess they will spot it sometime in September or October when they are filing their SC147 filings.
B747-437B is offline  
Old Jul 4, 20, 8:27 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kansas City, MO
Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 3,314
Originally Posted by B747-437B View Post
You can tell ET this till you are blue in the face but they will insist they are correct. Until the one or two people who actually know what is going on notice it and fix it. Maybe tomorrow, maybe six months from now. It will be sorted before the flight time. Sometimes even on the morning of the flight when they open checkin and realise the time is listed wrong.

As b_magee said, just be patient. This is ET. This kinda stuff happens more often than not. It will be fine in the end.

Since this is S21 schedule, I will guess they will spot it sometime in September or October when they are filing their SC147 filings.
I am a bit impatient since UA has a change waiver in place now until July 31. If the time is revised and I can change to the ORD flight and it is available I won't have to pay a change fee. If the waiver is gone I would have to pay $150 for each ticket and I am not willing to do that.

Fingers crossed ET notices the glitch sooner than later. I will keep an eye on the UA award calendar for award availability on the ADD-ORD flight. BTW, this time glitch does not affect the ORD-ADD ET 575 flight, I am on it on the outbound trip to WDH. ET got the times on that flight correct.
susiesan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: