Wiki Posts
Search

Advice needed re EgyptAir Cairo layover

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

Advice needed re EgyptAir Cairo layover

Hi,
My husband is due to leave JRO tomorrow and he's to fly Ethiopian to ADD, then MED, and then EgyptAir onto HUR. We booked him thru UAL on an award and somehow it wasn't picked up that his EgyptAir segment outta MED is going only to Cairo, not HUR. Ok, so they can carry on the agony by flying him outta CAI to HUR with either a 5hr layover, or change his flight segments from ADD to CAI and then onto HUR with a 10hr layover in CAI.
Question: he's going diving so has equipment (fits in regular luggage) that he'll need to show up on time. In your guys' opinion, is it better to have less connections (and more layover time) in CAI or more connections and less time in CAI? Conversely, is there another route that leaves 1/29 to get into HUR by 1/30 in the morning? (I see the Turkish Air but that leaves way too early as it's already 1:30am in Tanzania and he's fast asleep :-)
Many, many thanks in advance...

Last edited by rox59; Jan 28, 2020 at 3:47 pm
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I'd take the long layover in Cairo. You can do a lot in 10 hours or just relax. The LeMeridien hotel is attached to the airport. The Novotel near the airport also is quite good and offers daytime rates in 3 hour blocks. You have to book those on a special website, it's not on the general Accor site (search google for the link).

Cairo domestic terminal is desolate, there is nothing to do for 5 hours, let alone 10 and the lounge is tiny (if he has lounge access as *G).

Having said that, 10 hours is time enough to go see the pyramids or Egyptian museum if he hasn't done that before, or even just go get a nice meal along the Nile.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I'd take the long layover in Cairo. You can do a lot in 10 hours or just relax. The LeMeridien hotel is attached to the airport. The Novotel near the airport also is quite good and offers daytime rates in 3 hour blocks. You have to book those on a special website, it's not on the general Accor site (search google for the link).

Cairo domestic terminal is desolate, there is nothing to do for 5 hours, let alone 10 and the lounge is tiny (if he has lounge access as *G).

Having said that, 10 hours is time enough to go see the pyramids or Egyptian museum if he hasn't done that before, or even just go get a nice meal along the Nile.
I was looking at Timatic and it looks like there is something like a 48 hour TWOV in place if you transit through Cairo. Can you confirm this?
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Originally Posted by cheltzel
I was looking at Timatic and it looks like there is something like a 48 hour TWOV in place if you transit through Cairo. Can you confirm this?
I've always used visa on arrival which you just pay cash (USD) at a counter and get a visa sticker. They tried to do away with that a few years ago but it was quickly reversed. As far as I know it's still available as is the e-visa, but I don't see any point of using e-visa if visa on arrival is available as VOA is cheaper.

I honestly don't know if there is any TWOV in place as I've always been staying in Egypt when I arrived, but worst case is he has to pay 25 USD, just make sure he has USD cash. There is one site I saw that claims the windows won't accept anything else, but I have personally used both Euros and Aussie dollars to buy them. They are purchased at a currency exchange window, not from the government, so I put some doubt on the site that claims you can't use anything other than USD.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by dvs7310
I've always used visa on arrival which you just pay cash (USD) at a counter and get a visa sticker. They tried to do away with that a few years ago but it was quickly reversed. As far as I know it's still available as is the e-visa, but I don't see any point of using e-visa if visa on arrival is available as VOA is cheaper.

I honestly don't know if there is any TWOV in place as I've always been staying in Egypt when I arrived, but worst case is he has to pay 25 USD, just make sure he has USD cash. There is one site I saw that claims the windows won't accept anything else, but I have personally used both Euros and Aussie dollars to buy them. They are purchased at a currency exchange window, not from the government, so I put some doubt on the site that claims you can't use anything other than USD.
I found some older threads in the Egypt forum on this. It seems that Timatic really says that there is TWOV. It says if you have another flight (to a destination outside Egypt) within 48 hours you do not need a visa. The only problem is that Timatic is wrong. Or something similar. I agree that $25 isn't a lot to pay. Since I live in the US, have that in US currency is no issue.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 4:26 am

I’m flying from the US to Amman with a 5 hour connection in Cairo. Anything to do while stuck there?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 8:32 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Barrheadlass
I’m flying from the US to Amman with a 5 hour connection in Cairo. Anything to do while stuck there?
Unlucky. That is just short enough that going to see sights is not feasible and just long enough to be a boring wait at the airport

Hope your outbound flight is delayed by just 2 or 3 hours to make your wait more bearable!
Old Feb 21, 2020, 5:00 am

Another question...I just read an old article by Lucky in OMAT about a connection in Cairo which was incredibly difficult. I’ll be returning to Cairo for a two week trip around Egypt after a few days in Jordan. Should I buy my VOA for Egypt during my connection? OMAT comments suggested this would make getting to a connecting flight much easier. And I’m sure hoping coffee will be available while connecting in Cairo! Lucky’s article showed him just waiting in corridors.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
What airlines (terminals) are you connecting between?

If you have to switch terminals, spend the $25 and just get your visa. If you stay in the same terminal (an all-MS or star alliance itinerary), you can transfer without any problems.

And beyond the lounges, there are coffee shops and restaurants everywhere.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 8:09 am

I’m connecting from Egyptair to Egyptair.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Then you will have zero problems. T3-T3 if I remember right. You wont have a "Lucky" experience. No need for a visa.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 11:04 am

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.