Wiki Posts
Search

ET departure lounge at ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
ET departure lounge at ORD?

I am flying ET 511 on Aug. 29 to ADD. The flight is 14 hours long. I will have woken up and left my house at 3:30am that morning to catch a UA connecting flight to ORD, and I will not have had breakfast. Which lounge is usable for ET business class pax in T5? Where should I go to grab a bite to eat before boarding the flight? My UA flight arrives ORD at 7:00am and ET 511 leaves at 9:30.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
If you're flying in Business class on ET then your best bet by far would be the Polaris lounge before heading to T5 since you'll be landing in a UA terminal. If you get lucky you'll even land in the right terminal to hit it right when it opens at 7:15am. They are pretty quick if you want a menu ordered breakfast in the dining area or there is also the buffet available.

In T5 you have the LX and SK lounges, but I'm pretty sure both are closed that time of the morning. I've not been to those two in ORD specifically, but generally I have found LX lounges to be far better than SK in terms of food.

I don't know which lounge ET is using as a contract lounge, the *A website doesn't list it yet and since you'll be checking in somewhere else than ORD, probably you won't get a lounge invite during check-in to direct you.

I'd make a best effort to get to the Polaris lounge for a quick bite even if you only get time for the buffet. According to the ORD website, the Terminal Transfer bus only operates after 10am from T3 to T5, so you're going to be left with no choice but to go landside and re-clear TSA in T5. Just keep that in mind when budgeting time, as you may have to make do with whatever lounge pass ET staff will give you at the T5 check-in desk if time is tight.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AC E75K, Chatime Elite
T5 security is horribly slow. When I was there, only 2 lanes were open. I entered the lineup at 8, and it took 45 minutes to clear. The train was also still out of service, so I had to take the bus.

I would not risk a visit to the Polaris lounge unless I were sure that I can catch that T3-T5 shuttle.

The AF/Skyteam lounge is for ET passengers.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 6:48 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket
T5 security is horribly slow. When I was there, only 2 lanes were open. I entered the lineup at 8, and it took 45 minutes to clear. The train was also still out of service, so I had to take the bus.

I would not risk a visit to the Polaris lounge unless I were sure that I can catch that T3-T5 shuttle.

The AF/Skyteam lounge is for ET passengers.
I see that it opens at 6:00 AM on the three days that ET511 operates (M, W, F). Thanks for the info.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by TTC192Rocket

I wasn't even thinking about that since I'm so used to PreCheck, but on ET that wouldn't be an option.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I wasn't even thinking about that since I'm so used to PreCheck, but on ET that wouldn't be an option.
I went through with PreCheck from TK and found there is no PreCheck at ORD T5. So you just get in line.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:31 am

Correct, you two - there isn't PreCheck, as I am also eligible for that.

The slowness, I guess is due to the fact that it is relatively not busy at T5 in the hour or two preceding ET511. There were 2 Caribbean-bound flights, but that was it. The larger restaurant just before the gates was open, as was the AF lounge.

I skipped the lounge as I wanted to get my walk in before the flight.

They also do the document check prior to the flight, so budget a few minutes for that as well. I can't remember who the contracted gate agents were.

J loads were light; I'd say 1/3 full for my flight, and of course, everyone had an empty adjacent seat.

​​​​​​
Old Aug 28, 2018, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There is a special security lane for premium class customers. It shouldn't be too bad in the morning, but no TSA Pre at T5.

The AF lounge is nothing to write home about.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
There is a special security lane for premium class customers. It shouldn't be too bad in the morning, but no TSA Pre at T5.

The AF lounge is nothing to write home about.
That must be something they do that early as I haven't seen a premium/priority lane at T5 before.

At least the AF/KL lounge has windows. Better than the SwissPort lounge used by other carriers.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by cheltzel
That must be something they do that early as I haven't seen a premium/priority lane at T5 before.

At least the AF/KL lounge has windows. Better than the SwissPort lounge used by other carriers.
I can't vouch for in the morning, but certainly in the afternoon and through the night, a special (left most) lane can be accessed by premium ticket holders. The TSA agent would rotate between the premium ticket lane and one of the regular lines for ID and ticket inspection prior to security check.

That special lane may not be open in the morning due to slower traffic, but in my experience, it gets pretty backed up in the later afternoon through evening times.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
I can't vouch for in the morning, but certainly in the afternoon and through the night, a special (left most) lane can be accessed by premium ticket holders. The TSA agent would rotate between the premium ticket lane and one of the regular lines for ID and ticket inspection prior to security check.

That special lane may not be open in the morning due to slower traffic, but in my experience, it gets pretty backed up in the later afternoon through evening times.
My experience with no priority line or PreCheck-lite line was around 7:30 to 8:00 PM on a weekend.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 3:20 am

There wasn't such a lane when I flew ET back in mid-July.

There was the single long queue after checking in and then after the left bend, the single line branched off into 2.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 11:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
All of this is irrelevant since UA canceled the flight to Chicago less than 12 hours before the trip. We were routed to EWR AMS on UA metal in J, then AMS JRO in coach. We arrive 7 hours later than the orginal llan. So I cannot report on any lounge sued by ET at ORD. Sorry.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by susiesan
All of this is irrelevant since UA canceled the flight to Chicago less than 12 hours before the trip. We were routed to EWR AMS on UA metal in J, then AMS JRO in coach. We arrive 7 hours later than the orginal llan. So I cannot report on any lounge sued by ET at ORD. Sorry.
Very sorry to hear that. AMS-JRO in coach sucks when you were expecting business class all the way through. Hard to know the situation without seeing flight loads to JRO that day from various departure points, but I'd have been quite reluctant to accept that routing myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.