Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to expect on Ethiopian IAD-ADDin C?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2018, 2:28 pm

I need a 1-way ticket to the Seychelles next Feb from DC metro area. The best routing in price and schedule is ET, IAD-ADD-SEZ. It will be in Y class though. The Skytrax reviews are awful, but everyone knows that those are not the best sources for information.
I do like the fact that IAD-ADD is a 9 across 777 seating and during mostly daylight hours. What are recent experiences on that flight? I've read that connecting in ADD is not great, but is 2.5 hours OK? Would it be worthwhile to submit an upgrade bid for either flight and what have been acceptable bids, if known? I have top tier status in OW, but BA charges too much in surcharges for an award ticket and I'm not a fan of QR.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: ShebaMiles Blue, Skywards Blue
Originally Posted by headinclouds
I need a 1-way ticket to the Seychelles next Feb from DC metro area. The best routing in price and schedule is ET, IAD-ADD-SEZ. It will be in Y class though. The Skytrax reviews are awful, but everyone knows that those are not the best sources for information.
I do like the fact that IAD-ADD is a 9 across 777 seating and during mostly daylight hours. What are recent experiences on that flight? I've read that connecting in ADD is not great, but is 2.5 hours OK? Would it be worthwhile to submit an upgrade bid for either flight and what have been acceptable bids, if known? I have top tier status in OW, but BA charges too much in surcharges for an award ticket and I'm not a fan of QR.
The ET 777 in Y is a competitive 4-star product, and you should have no issues

Pros:

* Seat selection on ET is free in all fare classes
* Legroom is decent
* Good IFE
* Excellent service
* 9-abreast seating makes the aisles a little more breathable

Cons:
* No WiFi
* Food from IAD is "average" on a good day, bland on most days
* Not necessarily plane related, but transiting in ADD as an Economy passenger can be a tragic ordeal. 2.5 hours is enough, just make sure you line up for gate security at least 30 minutes before your boarding time
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:32 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I know this sounds very rude. But the biggest issue with the IAD-ADD route is the passengers. I've seen things in the lavatories which made me wonder how that was even possible. But the ET staff on board is wonderful in general, and very quick to clean the lavatories. Did this leg 4 times past 8 weeks, 3 of them in Y. Some passengers behave like they've never been on an airline before, which might actually be the case. I haven't seen the same on ET flights to/from EU.
​​​​​​Make sure you check in early and ask for emergency exit seating, which is free. Be aware that ET often changes equipment between 777-300 and 777-200 the week leading up to the flight. By sitting at emergency exit you are likely to sit next to a seasoned traveler, and definitely not a kid.
Avoid bulkheads, that is where they put children and elderly. My two flights last flights (less than 14 days ago) had tons of kids on them. Many of whom were unattended by the parents for a part of the flight.
That's said, it's a very good hard products, the 3-3-3 seating on the 777 is significantly better than other airlines. The headrests are very good, I have no issues sleeping in an isle seat, I felt a lot more comfortable on the ET777 than the LX A330 I was on long haul on recently.

Edit: forgot to say that on each flight the upgrade minimum bid for this route was more expensive than if I had purchased a ticket in business outright at about $ 1,600 for the IAD-ADD leg alone. Business class is usually full on this route, and don't expect to be having any chance of upgrading at the gate, the ET gate staff will make sure all available business class seats are allocated to friends and family, presumeably free of charge.

​​​

Last edited by Goaguy; Nov 6, 2018 at 12:39 am
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by ET359
Cons:
* Not necessarily plane related, but transiting in ADD as an Economy passenger can be a tragic ordeal. 2.5 hours is enough, just make sure you line up for gate security at least 30 minutes before your boarding time
Thanks ET359 & Goaguy for your prompt and informative replies. Would it make sense to bid for an upgrade on the ADD-SEZ flight since IAD-ADD is near impossible? I read somewhere that business class passengers have much less stress with connections at ADD and that the Cloud Nine lounge is OK.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus
I wouldn't be worry about the 2.5 hour connection in Addis. The airport can a bit hectic at times, especially from 8-10pm. Your flight to SEZ would be in the morning hours, correct? That is not so busy for outgoing flights. If you choose to enter into the main airport area upon arrival, as opposed to staying at the gate area where there are no restrooms or shops, you will have to go through security when heading back to the gate. It shouldn't be a big deal in the morning hours, just keep an eye out for the size of the line, but shouldn't be long in the morning hours. No reason to pay for business, just to get lounge access and priority security check. Ann in case your flight from IAD is delayed it will go to waste.
​​​​​There is a whole thread on Addis Airport add connections elsewhere on the forum. It is actually pretty straight forward to transit at ADD.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
I recently flew IAD-ADD on the 773 and it is a well oiled operation for ET but you must be aware of the following:
- upon entering main terminal you will see a looooong line that stretches from the checkin counter to the exit door. Don't be alarmed but you will wait and will be attended to as long as you're there within required checkin time. Pax on this route travel with many bags and is a cash cow for excess luggage fees. Don't entertain anyone's advances for you to check their bags on their behalf
- STAR silver and above have a dedicated counter that is strictly enforced
- if you have no luggage to checkin and their web app checks you in and issues boarding pass, you're golden
- if you're a trusted traveler ask if they can TSA Pre you. Security lines can be atrocious at IAD and you have a long way to the aircraft
- boarding begins early and they have 400 people to cram, so go to your gate
- The 773 in Y is decent, exit row was close to lavs and people will hover around you. Also avoid bulkheads. I opted for regular window seat coupled with a sleeping pill
- I love airports and i am a people watcher. Addis as chaotic as it may seem is a true African transportation hub. If you look close enough the chaos starts at checkin counter in IAD (pax with bags open balancing weights) and goes on through the entire journey. It's a good intro to what chaos you can expect in Africa unless you've planned for a sheltered pampered experience. Give yourself time, you will be dealing with the most diverse of nationalities, languages, travel experiences and such. The throughput that ET has at ADD during its morning and evening banks is beyond capacity, but in a continent that lacks consistent air connectivity, you make do.

I agree with @Goaguy, I think that the major factor on ET flights and its hub are the passengers and either their lack of experience in flying or modern amenities, language barriers, or things like lack of courtesy in their culture. Driving in many African countries is different than in North America being riddled with disorder, horns, etc. Queuing also can be foreign. Ask flight attendants about Hajj flights and you hear unbelievable stories.
B747-437B, W126Pilot and ET359 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:54 am

I got an expert flyer alert that my aircraft type changed on the IAD-ADD route from 773 to 772. Is there any difference in business class on these two? I'm flying with a companion and have chosen the last row of the cabin. Are any seats preferable to others? We will be flying quite a long way so hoping to maximize the ability to sleep. Thanks for any input!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by dan9124
I got an expert flyer alert that my aircraft type changed on the IAD-ADD route from 773 to 772. Is there any difference in business class on these two? I'm flying with a companion and have chosen the last row of the cabin. Are any seats preferable to others? We will be flying quite a long way so hoping to maximize the ability to sleep. Thanks for any input!
Seats are the same. The IFE on two of the newer 773s is slightly more advanced, but that's the only difference. Best seats in the fleet to sleep on IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.