Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines
Reload this Page >

Does ethiopian provide free transit visa if you mis-connect forcing overnight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

I have a short connection on one ethiopian ticket Dubai - Addis - CapeTown, and am a US Citizen.

If I miss the only flight of the day (ADD - CPT) I'm pretty sure ethiopian will give me a hotel for the night and put me on the flight next day. My question is, will Ethiopian reimburse me/provide me a free transit visa so I can go in town for the day? Its in business class if it matters.
Old May 5, 2018, 3:01 pm

Yes, they will provide you with a free transit visa + hotel + airport transfers + meals + phone call if you wind up misconnecting and forced to stay the night. You will get either the Hilton or the Radisson in Business Class.

However, if you misconnect onto the CPT flight, they will almost certainly rebook you via JNB (they have 3 daily flights now from ADD-JNB) instead with an onward connection on SA so you are unlikely to need an overnight stay.
ElJudioErrante likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I honestly wouldn't want to add a connection through JNB on their 737 planes and extra flying time, and would just prefer an overnight to explore Addis a bit. Hopefully they agree to put me on next day's direct flight instead.
Old May 6, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Thanks. I honestly wouldn't want to add a connection through JNB on their 737 planes and extra flying time, and would just prefer an overnight to explore Addis a bit. Hopefully they agree to put me on next day's direct flight instead.
They will be more than happy to do that instead - they tend to be very accommodating of Business Class passengers' preference in case of missed connections. The morning ADD-JNB flight is on the A350 however, not the 737.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Even with a short transfer at ADD and incoming flight is delayed, most pax will make their connections. Somehow ET at ADD are very good at rush pax to their onward flights if the incoming flight is delayed.

In addition departure of the CPT flight is often delayed to accommodate delayed pax. This means that you will make it to your CPT flight unless your inbound flight is seriously delayed.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Shebamiles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by SK AAR
Even with a short transfer at ADD and incoming flight is delayed, most pax will make their connections. Somehow ET at ADD are very good at rush pax to their onward flights if the incoming flight is delayed.

In addition departure of the CPT flight is often delayed to accommodate delayed pax. This means that you will make it to your CPT flight unless your inbound flight is seriously delayed.
Yes, this. When deplaning, you will hear ET reps close to your gate shouting the names of cities with tight connections, and they will guide you through (and possibly fast track.) There have been reports of some pax even going straight from plane to plane.

ET has also in recent years padded their schedules/flight times to be longer, where a delayed departure does not necessarily translate into a delayed arrival.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
Don't forget you need a yellow fever certificate to enter South Africa when leaving the transit zone in ADD!
Old May 24, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
delete

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.