Wiki Posts
Search

ET Lounge at NBO?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
ET Lounge at NBO?

Is ET giving lounge invitations to Business Class pax for the newly converted Aspire Lounge in NBO? Sounds like things are normalizing again after the fire and I know some airlines are using this but it sounds like some others are not and giving passengers refreshments at the gate instead.

Would be great if they would actually contract the KQ Simba or Pride lounge, but I won't hold my breath on that as I know it requires going to the new terminal and an extra security screening. I may well wind up getting stuck waiting in NBO for longer than I'd prefer as we're getting dropped off directly after a safari and taking the late ET flight out. Ideally it'll be 5:30pm or thereabouts when we get dropped off, minimizing down time, but will see. I see Priority Pass nor Diners Club currently have anything contracted in NBO, only MBA.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 9:22 am

Curious about this as well. Flying ET out of NBO next week.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:37 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by B747-437B
Curious about this as well. Flying ET out of NBO next week.
If it's Thursday, I'll see you there, either in whatever lounge ET are using, or Java....
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

B747-437B, either you or Roadwarriorafrica were exactly the ones who I thought may know the current situation. My flight is the first week of May, so looking forward to yours and/or Stewie Mac's update next week.

Out of curiosity, any experience with LLW? Assuming ET uses the VIP Lounge there but *A lounge finder shows nothing. I'll have a similar situation after driving from the lake the morning of the flight, want to allow for delays on the road, but not terribly keen to hang around Lilongwe airport longer than necessary otherwise.

Last edited by dvs7310; Apr 1, 2015 at 2:21 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
If it's Thursday, I'll see you there, either in whatever lounge ET are using, or Java....
Sorry, in on Thu morn out on Fri eve. Just missing you!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Out of curiosity, any experience with LLW? Assuming ET uses the VIP Lounge there but *A lounge finder shows nothing. I'll have a similar situation after driving from the lake the morning of the flight, want to allow for delays on the road, but not terribly keen to hang around Lilongwe airport longer than necessary otherwise.
I haven't flown out of LLW personally since they started BLZ flights in 2013, but my wife flies there every other week. They used to provide invites to the somewhat adequate lounge there, but the lounge was closed last Wednesday as per her narrative and they gave *G and Business Class a voucher for the cafe.

Whenever we've driven from the lake, we will usually hang out around the Crossroads Complex until 90 minutes before the flight and then drive up to the airport just before checkin closes. The drive up to the airport is pretty predictable from there and 20-25 minutes without any major traffic variations. There is absolutely nothing of redeeming value at the airport.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 4:36 am
Original Poster

I haven't flown out of LLW personally since they started BLZ flights in 2013, but my wife flies there every other week. They used to provide invites to the somewhat adequate lounge there, but the lounge was closed last Wednesday as per her narrative and they gave *G and Business Class a voucher for the cafe.

Whenever we've driven from the lake, we will usually hang out around the Crossroads Complex until 90 minutes before the flight and then drive up to the airport just before checkin closes. The drive up to the airport is pretty predictable from there and 20-25 minutes without any major traffic variations. There is absolutely nothing of redeeming value at the airport.
Excellent tips. If we get to town too early I'll do just that then. As for the lounge, hopefully it'll be open but a cafe is better than nothing. I know when they gave me cafe vouchers before at CAN they were fairly generous... certainly not a replacement for a proper lounge but miles better than sitting on the metal bench seats at the CAN gates.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 5:18 am

Originally Posted by dvs7310
Excellent tips. If we get to town too early I'll do just that then. As for the lounge, hopefully it'll be open but a cafe is better than nothing. I know when they gave me cafe vouchers before at CAN they were fairly generous... certainly not a replacement for a proper lounge but miles better than sitting on the metal bench seats at the CAN gates.
You obviously haven't been to the "cafe" at LLW then.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:53 am

KQ Aspire lounge in the old terminal

APOLOGIES: it's actually the Simba lounge, but I can't edit the title.

So, ET are indeed contracting the KQ lounge, but it's the lounge in the old terminal - ET are flying out of 1C, so at least it's easy.

I actually went to a desk to checkin (hand luggage only) as I thought that I'd need an invite but no, *A gold card and boarding pass was enough. Lounge very quiet (only two other people in here), reasonable selection of food and drink, decent wifi, tiny windows. If you have time here and can go landside, then 'the Pub' just outside the front of 1C is substantially better.

Safe travels all
Stewie
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

APOLOGIES: it's actually the Simba lounge, but I can't edit the title.

So, ET are indeed contracting the KQ lounge, but it's the lounge in the old terminal - ET are flying out of 1C, so at least it's easy.

I actually went to a desk to checkin (hand luggage only) as I thought that I'd need an invite but no, *A gold card and boarding pass was enough. Lounge very quiet (only two other people in here), reasonable selection of food and drink, decent wifi, tiny windows. If you have time here and can go landside, then 'the Pub' just outside the front of 1C is substantially better.

Safe travels all
Stewie
Excellent news Stewie Mac, thanks for coming back and following up on that. I recon we'll just head there instead of the pub so we can relax until boarding time without having to concern ourselves with immigration queues (or is the landside you're referring to still post-immigration?). We're coming in from Masai Mara that day so would have been landside already, but with drinks free in the lounge and a bite to eat, sounds like just what I'm after.

Quite curious though, since they are using a KQ lounge, I wonder if it's that one specific lounge or if you could also use the new KQ lounge in the new terminal assuming one wanted to venture over there? (I understand it's just an extra security screening to get into the new terminal)
Old Apr 10, 2015, 5:41 am

APOLOGIES: it's actually the Simba lounge, but I can't edit the title. So, ET are indeed contracting the KQ lounge, but it's the lounge in the old terminal - ET are flying out of 1C, so at least it's easy.
Ok, I've used the old Simba lounge before when flying KQ. Yes, it's tiny but not uncomfortable. I'm heading there within the hour (subject to traffic). Thanks for the update!
Old Apr 10, 2015, 6:02 am

Ok, I've used the old Simba lounge before when flying KQ. Yes, it's tiny but not uncomfortable. I'm heading there within the hour (subject to traffic). Thanks for the update!
And with the 'roundabout saga' that's quite a big 'subject to' this week!

And I know I downplayed the KQ lounge, but after a couple of hours in the ADD ET lounge last night, it's really not so bad. not so bad at all
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:50 am

I'm in the lounge right now. Traffic took just about 80 mins from Ngong Road, so about par for the course. And yes, a bit more peaceful than Addis lounge at peak hours. Although, I must admit that Addis has improved significantly over the last couple years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.